Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans for Model S Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about 8 months out from the end of my lease on a BMW 5 series. I have looked at the Model S several times over the past few years. I like the concept of moving to an electric vehicle and I like the Tesla approach of OTA updates, but it seems like it has been a long time since there has been a refresh of the car's "hard" features such as the interior and exterior. I actually like the exterior appearance but would love to see some updates to the interior to place the car more in line with cars in it's price range. So, are there any known plans to update the Model S beyond OTA updates?

Interior update is coming soon, exterior.. Nobody knows! People have been speculating an "Imminent" update since early 2018..

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021

People have been speculating about an "imminent" refresh since the exterior facelift in 2016 (three years ago). Also, that article is also total speculation and only based on some artist's renderings based on the Model 3 interior. Their only "source" is 'according to sources familiar with the matter.'

It's a really safe bet to say this last year :"Tesla is now looking to harmonize the interior of all its vehicles in its lineup and that means going even more minimal with the Model S and Model X, like Tesla did with Model 3." I don't think that's particularly groundbreaking news or anything.

Just go back through hundreds of TMC threads.. anytime Tesla makes any move or announcement, someone always starts a new thread: "This totally means the Model S/X refresh is coming!". Tesla is listing all their sitting inventory cars for sale: "They're pushing all the inventory because a refresh is coming!".. or Tesla pulls all their sitting inventory cars for sale: "They've sold all their inventory -- a refresh is coming!"... Elon takes too long to take a dump.. "A refresh is coming!". The thing is, eventually someone is going to be right.

The real answer is that nobody knowns anything about when any refresh is going to happen. Could be tomorrow, could be 2020 or later.

Last edited:
It's just so different from other cars. If you want the latest from BMW or Mercedes you know you will have to wait until Fall to see next year's model. And major refreshes occur every 5-6 years. Usually the changes are leaked in car magazines a few weeks/months in advance.
Tesla is different. Whether it is financial restraints or technology/manufacturing breakthroughs, they make changes at seemingly random times.

Any projections made last year about what Tesla might or might not do this year may no longer apply.

Tesla's R&D and manufacturing teams are likely stretched thin with continuing to ramp up Model 3 production, preparing for production of the semi & Model Y, working on designs for the pickup and Roadster 2.0, while continuing to make improvements in motor and battery packs.

Except for new vehicle launches, Tesla typically doesn't provide advance notice on any changes to models currently in production. When they have changes ready, they usually announce those changes the moment they are ready to change their manufacturing to include those changes. And because Tesla doesn't use the annual model year strategy, those changes can happen at any time, which always creates some frustration, disappointment and confusion for those owners purchasing vehicles before or after the change is introduced.

If you're waiting for major interior changes - they might happen later this year - and they might not - and if changes to the interior are a deal-breaker, then you could be waiting for a year or more before Tesla decides to make any major changes to the interior.

They believe they will have FSD "feature complete" by the end of this year - and if they are able to get approval to operate the vehicle, in at least some conditions, without driver monitoring - it's likely we'll see a major interior design change, de-emphasizing driving for the person in the "driver" seat, and instead providing better support for other functions, such as entertainment - since the vehicle will be driving itself.

While refreshing the interior would be nice to see - overall, our Tesla S and X are fantastic vehicles, and the interior design was a relatively minor portion of our purchase decision.

Reactions: Vitaman
I am about 8 months out from the end of my lease on a BMW 5 series. I have looked at the Model S several times over the past few years. I like the concept of moving to an electric vehicle and I like the Tesla approach of OTA updates, but it seems like it has been a long time since there has been a refresh of the car's "hard" features such as the interior and exterior. I actually like the exterior appearance but would love to see some updates to the interior to place the car more in line with cars in it's price range. So, are there any known plans to update the Model S beyond OTA updates?

I think there are three strategies to take here.

One, buy a used Model S with the features you want right now (performance, range, color, cold weather, etc), and save a boat load on the new-car depreciation and enjoy that car for two years or so. Learn what you like and don't like. You can even lease used Teslas if you need a lease. But just wait out any planned interior refresh, at least you're driving a Tesla. Then buy/lease your second Tesla as the refreshed model.

Two, buy/lease a new Tesla at the end of your lease. You're guaranteed of getting the latest and greatest technology on the day you buy the car. But maybe not the next day, or the next week. Realize that buying a Tesla is like buying a cell phone or computer -- it will be outdated very quickly with Tesla's constant production line improvements. You might feel the sting of buyer's remorse when they announce something new right after you've taken delivery. There are A LOT of people in that boat. People who missed AP2 by one or two days, or people who missed the Model S nosecone refresh by days. The list goes on and on. But there's always that risk when buying a Tesla. Even if you wait for the mythical "imminent refresh" and then buy a car, there's still going to be something new released right after that.

Three: The only winning move is not to play. :)

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and Vitaman
I read that the ones being produced now include APH4 or AutoPilot Hardware 3 even if you don't have FSD. Also read that there are updates to the charging system, but same battery pack, likely to support Supercharger V3. Tesla constantly updates components.

Update price, that count?
Update FDS, that count?
Update AP, that count?
Upgrade head lights, that count?
Upgrade battery S100D - Fall of 2016 - almost 2.5 years ago. When was Ludicrous update?

Help Elon - I'm to stupid/lazy to track all these constant updates/upgrades - Please assign model years so I don't have to figure anything out.
</sarcasm>:cool:

side note: Someone traded in their RWD 75 and got an AWD S100DL and actually considered it a refresh. Can you believe it ?!?:eek:
Just how old was that RWD 75 ? hint: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
May be these refresh/updates happen too fast ??

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the frequent OTA and production updates. I'm more focused on major updates such as an interior refresh and/or exterior styling changes. I see some reports in the past few days of possible changes to the electric motors to make them more efficient like those in Model 3 and possibly a larger battery pack for even longer range. I also continue to see speculation about an interior refresh.

Reactions: docherf
Most likely change is going to be the Model 3 motor technology, resulting in some small improvements in performance, acoustics and range - plus changes in the charging and/or battery pack to allow S/X to charge faster on V3 superchargers.

Since we only take a few road trips each year, neither of those changes will significantly impact us with our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D, so we probably won't have too much "feature envy" when those changes are introduced.

If you play the waiting game on placing an order - waiting for Tesla to make the "next big change" - you could be doing that forever, because there will always be some new introduced throughout each year...

bob_p

Thanks for the advice. We are looking to replace two cars with expiring leases in the next 12 months. An X5 in December (I see I made a mistake in my first post on which lease expires in December) and a 540i in May. I would like to go electric for both. I strongly considered an S when I leased the 540i two years ago, but for a variety of reasons at the time went with the 540i. There have been many updates for the S since then, but I am hoping for an interior refresh in the next 12 months. I am also looking at the Porsche Taycan as an option, but price and availability may be an issue in 12 months.

For the X5, I am considering the Audi E-tron, but am somewhat disappointed with the EPA range of 204 miles. So, we will also consider the Mercedes EQC once more is known about prices and range. I am not a fan of the Model X, so that is not really in consideration. The new X5 45e plug-in hybrid and the new Cayenne plug-in hybrid as possible alternatives. Both would allow mostly electric city driving, but provide more range for occasional trips.

I will be monitoring this and other sites for updates on the S as time grows closer for a decision.

While the S/X may be missing some features present in other luxury ICEs and likely present in competing EVs that will be hitting the market soon (features like Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), Tesla has some significant advantages.

Tesla is using more mature battery and motor technologies - and because they are the only manufacturer that designs and builds those components in house, Tesla has a lead on technology and can introduce improvements more quickly - such as what they will likely do in the next 12 months with the improved motors and charging.

Before the Bolt came out, on paper it looked like a Tesla killer - comparable range, some feature advantages, competitive price, plus it was coming out before the Model 3. And today, GM still has difficulty selling them.

Just because other manufacturers bring EVs to market doesn't guarantee those models will be successful. Tesla has a several year lead in battery and motor technology. They have an existing long distance fast charging network. And a network of destination chargers.

If considering a purchase of an EV - take a complete look at the life cycle cost and experience. Tesla has a several year lead on battery & motor technology, better availability on long distance charging, plus the potential for more features with EAP/FSD through future software updates.

While Tesla vehicles may be missing a few of the minor features that could be available in competing EVs, overall Tesla's S/3/X/Y vehicles should remain the market leaders for the next few years.

The Model 3 interior is the first step towards an interior optimized for FSD - removing the separate dashboard display and rotating the display to landscape that is better for displaying videos.

The next step will be figuring out a way to reduce the presence of the steering wheel, along with other changes to the interior focusing more on keeping the passengers entertained while the vehicle drives itself - such as some workspace, 110 outlets, rotating seats, ...

As to when we'll start seeing these interior changes in the S/X - we're all just guessing. Though if Musk is right and the FSD software will be "feature complete" late this year, we could see S/X interior changes in the next 12-24 months - and earlier if it would allow Tesla to simplify and/or reduce the cost of manufacturing.