Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to wait until have July 1 2018 to pull the trigger on a new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a lease for a showroom/demo Dec 2017 build S100D. I've been told by my salesperson that i need to finalize and take delivery before the end of June. Are there likely to be bigger discounts, better lease rates, etc... if i wait until July? Are there any other reasons i should consider waiting?

That would be the end of the 2nd Quarter, correct? It's nice to tidy up "loose end" sales every three months and yours would be one of them.

As for changes to the Model S? Yes, the one that came off the assembly line after yours was better than yours, as was the one after that. If you let that rule your decision making, you will never buy one . . . or any highly advanced and constantly improving product.

Do what we do: buy a lot of them, and do so often. That solves the problem.

Reactions: PrGrPa
If you're buying a demo/showroom car - then you're probably better off buying late in the quarter vs. early in the quarter.

And if you wait too long (which could be hours or days), especially as it gets closer to the end of the month, you'll likely find the car you've been looking at has been sold.

As for purchasing new Model S cars - if you ordered a new one today, it would have some improvements for a 2017 version (interior trim changes, MCU 2, …) - and that will always be true, that longer you wait, the more likely there will be changes. Though, most of the changes are minimal - since introducing the 100 battery packs, Tesla hasn't made any large changes to S or X. And with the focus on making more Model 3's, it seems likely we won't see major changes for a while for S or X.

Musk indicated the V3 supercharging has been pushed out at least 6 more months. It's possible we'll see a new battery pack/charging system for S/X to take advantage of faster V3 supercharging - but until Tesla provides more information, we're all just guessing...