Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Texans opened a new Tesla Insurance policy yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2017 Model X, with no FSD Beta. Recently signed up for Tesla insurance (now available in Texas). Tesla insurance rates are driven by (among other things) our Safety Score. The score influences a monthly reassessment of the billing rate.

We recently received a notification of our current rate and the score upon which it's based. It would be nice if we could monitor our score throughout the month. However, since we are not FSD owners, the score is not visible through the Android mobile Tesla app.

Is there some way we can access the score periodically?
I don't have FSD either, but the Safety Score menu item appeared in my Tesla iPhone app when I opened my policy. Are you sure you don't see it anywhere in the app? Could your policy somehow not be correctly linked to your Tesla account? I'm not aware of another way to access your score other than the app.

I loved the rate with Tesla in Texas, but that safety score continues with a $6 per month increase or decrease for every point your safety score changes. One hard braking incident took me from 100 to 99 and raised my premium by $6 for that month. None-the-less even at the 90 SS assigned to all new policy owners, it was still half what I was paying with Progressive, slightly better coverage too at 100/300/100.

I kind of just fell into this as I noticed an "Insurance" option after logging into my Tesla account today, but lo and behold when clicking to manage my M3 there it was. I always assumed Tesla Insurance was only available to CA residents, but after some quick research realize its now offered to TX residents with a new feature: Real-time Driving Behavior

An Electrek article providing more detail:

I opened a new policy today switching from Geico because it's about $250 cheaper over a 6-month period ($730 vs $485), however, based on the way this works my monthly payment will either go up or down based on my Safety Score accessible via my Tesla app. Because of this there's no option to purchase the policy in full like I usually do. I rarely drive since I work from home, so hoping that contributes to a lower premium as well.

Interested to know everyone else's experience with this product, how quickly your Safety Score changes, and how your premiums are affected by the changes. I know this just launched, so as I drive more I'll post my own experiences.
I was so excited. Finally insurance in Texas. Great price. It’s Tesla! It has to be the best. Before you get your insurance in Texas, I invite you to Google their underwriter. “Redpoint County Mutual Insurance Co.” see reviews. I need to say no more. You will be shocked!

Yes! Read my comment below about checking out their underwriter. Simple! Google their underwriter reviews. Redpoint County Mutual Insurance Co. This is the underwriter on my Tesla Texas policy and I verified that it is by calling Tesla Insurance. I suggest you check it out before purchase.

Yes! Read my comment below about checking out their underwriter. Simple! Google their underwriter reviews. Redpoint County Mutual Insurance Co. This is the underwriter on my Tesla Texas policy and I verified that it is by calling Tesla Insurance. I suggest you check it out before purchase.
Wow—I hadn’t seen the details on the underwriter.

makes me go hmmmmmm

I was so excited. Finally insurance in Texas. Great price. It’s Tesla! It has to be the best. Before you get your insurance in Texas, I invite you to Google their underwriter. “Redpoint County Mutual Insurance Co.” see reviews. I need to say no more. You will be shocked!
On safety score, this is what I found out. Your score starts at 90. If it increases, your monthly payment goes down and your payment goes up if your score decreases. What is considered is braking, following to close, turning too fast and not acknowledging your warning on auto steering. My concern was am I going to be penalized for one of the main reason I bought one of the first p85d’s. That quick launching. They assured me (twice) that that would not have anything to do with our score. I went from 90 to 95 in a week. A little in the red on braking. I was concerned. I never hardly use my brakes except the last few feet on a stop. (Unless necessary) I have 40k miles on my 2015 and my brakes (pads) are 75%+. My concern is do I want the insurance even at a savings of around 500$ a year compared to my State Farm I had for Over 30 years. Those underwriter reviews are not what I would expect Tesla to endorse. I’ve filed a form with Tesla asking why a underwriter with the worse reviews I’ve ever read on anything would be their choice. If I had been able to review the underwriters reviews before I switched, I don’t believe I would have made the change. I still might switch back. If I get a response, I’ll post. Hope that helps you all!

To be fair... and I'm in no way affiliated with the underwriter or Tesla Insurance, but almost any insurance company you Google will typically have poor reviews. It's simply because customers who have positive experiences don't write reviews. When I have a negative experience you better believe I want to let the world know about it! 😄

Here's Geico for example:

I recently (~2 weeks) switched from our (married couple, <40y/o) M3P from Safeco to Tesla Insurance.

We have a few tickets and accidents on our record from 2+ years ago (so should age off soon), and transferring to Tesla saved $2-300/month.

We haven't been driving much since 3/2020 (<1-2k miles/month across all vehicles), so the main thing I'm worried about is how auto-x in the Model 3 is going to impact the safety score.