Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to swich to neutral when bricked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
So I got into an accident a few weeks ago on the highway...got rear ended while slowing down to avoid debris in the road.
Car was undrivable, with a million electrical system warnings. After rebooting the car a few times, it finally allowed me to put it in tow mode, and police helped me push it to the shoulder. But by the time the tow truck got there, the car was completely dead, and I couldn't get it into neutral, which made loading the car onto the flatbed difficult.
Both the policemen and the tow driver went on and on about how much they hated Teslas because of how hard they are to deal with during accidents.
So my question is simple...is there anything I could have done to get it into neutral when the car is bricked?

Reactions: Skavatar
So I got into an accident a few weeks ago on the highway...got rear ended while slowing down to avoid debris in the road.
Car was undrivable, with a million electrical system warnings. After rebooting the car a few times, it finally allowed me to put it in tow mode, and police helped me push it to the shoulder. But by the time the tow truck got there, the car was completely dead, and I couldn't get it into neutral, which made loading the car onto the flatbed difficult.
Both the policemen and the tow driver went on and on about how much they hated Teslas because of how hard they are to deal with during accidents.
So my question is simple...is there anything I could have done to get it into neutral when the car is bricked?

Attach a 12 volt jump pack to get the car turned on, then put it in tow mode the same way you did before. You can’t do anything if the 12 volt battery is dead.

Alternatives would be to place skates under the rear tires or just drag the car onto the flatbed with the rear wheels locked using the tow truck’s winch.

Reactions: android04