Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y undrivable and banging my head against the wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -Hoping someone can help with their experience but also looking for a place to rant.

About 6 weeks ago suddenly my Model Y LR left headlight was stuck on, I received low voltage battery warning messages and the windscreen wipers were not functional. The car was drivable (though without wipers at this time of year not really). The car is under warranty.

Managed to get it booked into service centre and took it a few days early on a dry day to ensure lack of wipers wasn't too much of a problem.

They replaced the left headlight unit and low voltage battery, and the problem seemed resolved (though one small issue was the car was stuck on the service PIN after the appointment...)

A few days ago, the issue re-occured. The left headlight is now out (rather than stuck on) but same warning messsages re: low voltage battery, wipers non functional. Initially the car was drivable, I went through usual app process and booked a service appointment for 28th at Southampton.

When I went to move the car Big difference this time is the car will not shift into Drive because 'voltage too low'. Now concerned with how I was going to get the car to the service appointment I called roadside. After sounding confused for a while, they said they would try and get me an emergency mobile service appointment. He would email me with an update. The next day I get a message from mobile service saying they have looked at remote diagnostics and definitely not something they can fix with a mobile appointment. They have then moved my appointment to the same day at Tesla Winchester. Unclear why they have moved the appointment but I think its so I can have a courtesy car (possibly as they think it could be a lengthy repair). The message ads that if the car is undrivable, I should contact roadside.

So this morning I ring roadside again. I can't get through to UK helpdesk and was redirected to offshore. The offshore guy recommended that I call the day before service appointment as they can't pre-book tows. (I'm going to try calling again later to speak to UK roadside team)

I'm worried when I call roadside on 27th, they will say they will only tow to the closest Tesla centre, which is not where my appointment is. On my first roadside call this is what the guy suggested was his ony possible remedy other than mobile service. (The system flags my closest Tesla centre as Guildford which is only true as the crow flies, not in road distance and definitely not in time). It would seem mad to drop at a different Tesla centre which would have no availability to look at it as they wouldnt be expecting it.

Has anyone been through something similar where the car has been undrivable and needs to be towed?

I'm also interested if anyone has any suspicions as to what the issue with the car could be given the intial repair of new headlight unit and low voltage battery clearly hasn't resolved the issue.

Would appreciate hearing your experiences!

My utterly uneducated guess would be some issue in the wiring harness generating low voltage readings.

Given the car is undriveable why does it matter when they take it? It should just be transported to a service centre by roadside and a loaner provided immediately. it's not you that wants an appointment on a specific day,

Thanks all for your replies. I hope it isn't the stone chip like video! Does seem a bit odd if it is that that the issue has happened twice, unless it is water is getting into the area behind the headlight rather than the headlight itself because the seal between headlight and body isn't right? That potentially wouldnt have been fixed by new headlight, but you would have thought they would have spotted it in the initial repair.

Latest message says the technician suspects the issue relates to the wiring between the battery and headlight.

After a fifth phone call, Tesla have now agreed to organise a tow to Tesla Winchester, but won't confirm whether there would be a loan car waiting for me or not.

Just guessing at cause from symptoms, I'd say some sort of short in the wiring, or possibly fault in the system that charges the 12v battery from the high voltage pack. Two batteries going out like that suggests a big drain on it and inconsistent voltages. Might be interesting to pop the frunk and put a voltmeter on the battery while it is in park.

im on salary sacrifice so not my insurance - Equally in the last 25 years of driving not once have i had to insure a courtesy car myself.

You possibly should have though. Every courtesy car i've ever had, has come with a terrible set of terms & conditions relating to excesses, mileage limits, so on and so forth.

You have insurance. It just might not be great.

Reactions: Adopado and Js1977
You possibly should have though. Every courtesy car i've ever had, has come with a terrible set of terms & conditions relating to excesses, mileage limits, so on and so forth.

You have insurance. It just might not be great.
Nope, i've checked every time, and the insurance provided has been more then suitable until the Tesla. To be fair I did once have to pay Nissan £10 for the pleasure, but no other manufacturers

Genuinely surprised. I've had BMW, Toyota, Ford and Audi and they have all been utter garbage policies.
With Lexus they insure you but with a £1000 excess. You have an option to pay £15 to remove that which many dealers just add by default. I know someone who was down £700 because they went with the standard policy and 5 minutes down the road a stone cracked the windscreen.

Hi All -Hoping someone can help with their experience but also looking for a place to rant.

About 6 weeks ago suddenly my Model Y LR left headlight was stuck on, I received low voltage battery warning messages and the windscreen wipers were not functional. The car was drivable (though without wipers at this time of year not really). The car is under warranty.

Managed to get it booked into service centre and took it a few days early on a dry day to ensure lack of wipers wasn't too much of a problem.

They replaced the left headlight unit and low voltage battery, and the problem seemed resolved (though one small issue was the car was stuck on the service PIN after the appointment...)

A few days ago, the issue re-occured. The left headlight is now out (rather than stuck on) but same warning messsages re: low voltage battery, wipers non functional. Initially the car was drivable, I went through usual app process and booked a service appointment for 28th at Southampton.

When I went to move the car Big difference this time is the car will not shift into Drive because 'voltage too low'. Now concerned with how I was going to get the car to the service appointment I called roadside. After sounding confused for a while, they said they would try and get me an emergency mobile service appointment. He would email me with an update. The next day I get a message from mobile service saying they have looked at remote diagnostics and definitely not something they can fix with a mobile appointment. They have then moved my appointment to the same day at Tesla Winchester. Unclear why they have moved the appointment but I think its so I can have a courtesy car (possibly as they think it could be a lengthy repair). The message ads that if the car is undrivable, I should contact roadside.

So this morning I ring roadside again. I can't get through to UK helpdesk and was redirected to offshore. The offshore guy recommended that I call the day before service appointment as they can't pre-book tows. (I'm going to try calling again later to speak to UK roadside team)

I'm worried when I call roadside on 27th, they will say they will only tow to the closest Tesla centre, which is not where my appointment is. On my first roadside call this is what the guy suggested was his ony possible remedy other than mobile service. (The system flags my closest Tesla centre as Guildford which is only true as the crow flies, not in road distance and definitely not in time). It would seem mad to drop at a different Tesla centre which would have no availability to look at it as they wouldnt be expecting it.

Has anyone been through something similar where the car has been undrivable and needs to be towed?

I'm also interested if anyone has any suspicions as to what the issue with the car could be given the intial repair of new headlight unit and low voltage battery clearly hasn't resolved the issue.

Would appreciate hearing your experiences!
You may have been supremely unlucky that in the first instance you had a genuine issue and the one you are experiencing now is firmware related:

Update for anyone interested.

Technician at Tesla Winchester reports that he has found moisture in the low voltage battery area. That area also including the wiring for the wipers and the left headlight

He says he has 'made the necessary repairs to prevent this occuring' (but doesn't elaborate what these are or what the issue was that allowed moisture to get somewhere where it shouldn't be). And that the car is now performing as designed.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Js1977