Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to turn off music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Every time I go to the car - the music player defaults to being on the screen. I am not someone
who "always has to be listening to something" and would prefer to not have to swipe that
section down every time. Is there any way to change the behavior?
The car is a 2018 MX100D, purchased used just over 2 months ago. First Tesla so still learning.
- Jim

Turns out I asked about this 'just after getting the car' ... and did not get a good
(definitive) answer. So I'm still going to ask "is there a way to NOT have the
music player display when I first get in the car. I am not talking about the
volume, I am not talking about it auto-playing something ... I'm talking simply
about the display and having to swipe it to the bottom. Oh BTW, there is no
"X" in this display.
- Jim

The display you are referring to pretty consistently stays where I put it (smallest or hidden) between drives in my X. However, it did NOT stay where I put it when I was using the automatic navigation feature (for home/work/calendar), so I disabled said automatic navigation feature. Navigation still affects it when used. More specifically, it changes to the mid position (not largest, not smallest) each time a navigation plan finishes or is cancelled. If you consistently using navigation, that might explain the behavior you're seeing.

What I really want is a way to change this behavior of the software. This is not the only one.
For example - the car seems to 'remember' certain things I did before ... but not all of them.
It's like the guys doing the software don't even talk to each other ... about the USER INTERFACE
for the car. Phooey!
I love Driving this car. I do not like stuff like how it resets the entire heating/cooling settings
just because I hit the defroster icon ... why isn't that an "additional thing that is turned on"
instead of dedicating the entire heating/cooling to just that one thing?
- Jim in the PNW

What I really want is a way to change this behavior of the software. This is not the only one.
For example - the car seems to 'remember' certain things I did before ... but not all of them.
It's like the guys doing the software don't even talk to each other ... about the USER INTERFACE
for the car. Phooey!
I love Driving this car. I do not like stuff like how it resets the entire heating/cooling settings
just because I hit the defroster icon ... why isn't that an "additional thing that is turned on"
instead of dedicating the entire heating/cooling to just that one thing?
- Jim in the PNW
I feel your pain, the defroster and bioweapon-defense mode were just additional things you could turn on and off separately in v8 and prior. There were 4 different "auto" buttons for HVAC, and they allowed combinations that cannot be reached in the new interface.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Has anyone ever gotten a response from Tesla on this topic? I'm going to call it
"User Customization" - as in the ability to set up various things in the car to the
way -you- want them. And, obviously, they will endure any and all software
updates.
The things I've discovered, so far, are "The music at start up", the behaviors of the
climate control system, the sound/music system ... whenever I call it up, the way the
car "beeps at you when you first get in - because you didn't hook up your seat
belt before you touched the brake, the way the car does not -appear- to set the
driver's seat to the settings for the current driver (does it do this or not?), the
differences between the user interface depending upon if I'm using my phone
(app) -vs- the car itself -vs- my Windows computer, etc., etc., etc.

I'd like to expand on the "beeps". I live in the PNW. The FIRST thing I need to
do after I get in is to close the door (it's raining and/or blowing). So I want -
actually NEED - to touch the brake to close the door ... because if I were to use
the door handle to close the door I have to reach out into the rain and wind.
This stupid car (2018 MX-100D on the very latest software) BEEPS at me
because my seat belt isn't fastened yet. And it beeps at me every time my
wife gets in or out. Phooey. Beep at me if I actually try to put it in gear (and
drive?) - but not before. Even if it is in drive - if my foot is on the brake
does it really need to beep at me because my wife opens the door?

- Jim in the PNW

the way the car does not -appear- to set the
driver's seat to the settings for the current driver (does it do this or not?)
Not sure what you mean by appear here, either it does, or it doesn't. There is a setting to turn that feature on and off. It is a per profile setting, and it likely sets the driver's seat based on which fob unlocked the vehicle. If you aren't using a fob to unlock, then it might not do it. If you use easy entry, that also might change the behavior.

Not sure what you mean by appear here, either it does, or it doesn't. There is a setting to turn that feature on and off. It is a per profile setting, and it likely sets the driver's seat based on which fob unlocked the vehicle. If you aren't using a fob to unlock, then it might not do it. If you use easy entry, that also might change the behavior.
mznym,
OK, I just checked the behaviors of my MX (2018 with latest SW). Here is what it is/isn't doing.

1) We have two fobs - mine and my wife's.
2) The top of the display shows the "current driver" (me or my wife).
3) I have Easy Entry checked. But the seats do not change position to accomodate Easy Entry.
Turning Easy Entry on and off does not change the behavior.
4) I am not 'actively using the fob' to unlock (don't even know how). We just walk up to the
car, the lights come on, and we get in.
5) The current driver does not change on its own based upon which fob is used.
6) We can change the driver by using the center panel - but it does not change on its own
based upon which fob is approaching the vehicle. Yes, this was tested with only one fob
anywhere near the vehicle. By that I mean that vehicle has beeped for "locked". I have
not tested anywhere other than in my garage or driveway (and don't think I should have
to test when "not at home".
7) This 2018 MX-100D was purchased, used from a Tesla dealer, in July of this year. It is
running the latest software/firmware - at least when I go to "update" it says "nothing
to do (you are at the latest level).
8) These behaviors with respect to driver customization and Easy Entry have not changed
since we took delivery of the vehicle in July (yes, there was at least one update since
then).

I think -neither- the current driver nor the Easy Entry are working as expected. Do I have
the wrong expectation or is my car not behaving as expected? If the car isn't behaving
correctly is this the kind of thing that I should just schedule a service call for?
- Jim in the PNW

4) I am not 'actively using the fob' to unlock (don't even know how). We just walk up to the
car, the lights come on, and we get in.
I think this would count as "actively using the fob." Double-click would unlock if walk up didn't. I've had passive entry disabled for so long I momentarily forgot about it.
I think -neither- the current driver nor the Easy Entry are working as expected. Do I have
the wrong expectation or is my car not behaving as expected? If the car isn't behaving
correctly is this the kind of thing that I should just schedule a service call for?
I agree, this doesn't sound right at all. Easy Entry should be moving the seat to the entry position at some point without you touching the screen. I don't know which point because I'm not using Easy Entry. This may be something you have to turn on beyond creating the profile. Also, AFAIK, profile selection (and as such, seat movement) should occur automatically based on which fob is used, but this is only true if you assign the fobs to the profiles and it can also be disabled. I think you need to take a look at the settings available on the screen were you can add/delete profiles.

Easy Entry is a saved profile item.

Move the seats to a position the is easy to enter. For me, I made the entry far back and low seat, so I fit. My wife’s profile is high and close to the wheel.

Save those settings to Easy Entry.

Enabling Easy Entry if you haven’t made a change just sets it to your current settings, ie, does nothing.

I just went and looked at my driver profile settings so that I could help more here. There is "link key fob n" text that you must click to link the profile to a fob. This is certainly necessary in order for your the profile to load automatically (which would cause the seat to move automatically). There may also be another settings elsewhere, or there may only be an "unlink" option, I don't remember since I don't have any fobs linked anymore. There is also a "use easy entry" checkbox that you must check if you want the easy entry profile to be selected automatically. From speaking to other people with other models who do use easy entry, I'm under the impression that it goes to the easy entry profile when you are in a profile that has that option checked and you put it in park. I'm not 100% on any of this since I don't use it, but that's where you need to be tinkering @Oldrocky.

ETA: @doghousePVD is correct, I misread your original comments. You must create the Easy Entry profile in addition to checking the boxes. However, linking the fobs is also necessary for the other piece you are missing (having it change to the appropriate profile whenever it does that).