Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX owners: PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR REAR FOGS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the most part it's finding someone who has the higher level access to make gateway changes. There's a few people on these forums who can do it. I had it done on my model 3 a while ago.
Oh wow... I'm good since I already have the S3XY buttons for rear fog lights, these things rule. Sidenote: I thought my interior was clean, the photo says otherwise. I swear to the naked eye, it looks fine.

IMG_20240205_121240.jpg

In theory they shouldn’t glare oncoming traffic, but in practice many fog lights
Oncoming traffic aside, they can actually be detrimental to your own ability to see farther at night. Fog lights increase foreground lighting which seems brighter to our brains because more light is being reflected back to our eyes. But that increased foreground lighting makes your eyes adjust to the increased light and constricts your pupils more, thereby reducing your ability to see as farther away at night. Foreground lightning is unnecessary in clear conditions at speed.
My 2016 MX does not turn rear fogs off after a trip. I had to do it manually.

I have turned the fronts off and on and cannot tell the difference in road illumination. But I need to try them on their own without the headlights.

Numerous people stating their legacy rear fogs don't turn off after a drive when mine did. I wonder if it matters whether headlights are on auto or not... My headlights are on auto, my high beams are not, and as I said, my 2017 rear fogs turned off between drives when I tested. I guess it's possible there is a difference between AP2/2.5 & AP3 or MCU1 & MCU2, but it seems unlikely unless Tesla only relatively recently changed this behavior for legacy vehicles.