Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone considering Sliplo skid plate/protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an ad on Facebook for Sliplo a skid/scrap protector for the front spoiler area of a car. It protects from scraping on high driveways and curbs/parking blocks. Anyone have any experience with this? I found a thread on the Model S forum with positive remarks. Just curious if anyone else has any experience with this product. A kit is $99 but may be well worth it if it keeps your paint or PPF from getting torn up. I'm a bit paranoid about the front end of my MY as I've been used to a sport ute that never had that issue and now I need to try to remember the front end when I park. This might be good insurance if I forget.

• Helpful
Reactions: E_R_N
I noticed an ad on Facebook for Sliplo a skid/scrap protector for the front spoiler area of a car. It protects from scraping on high driveways and curbs/parking blocks. Anyone have any experience with this? I found a thread on the Model S forum with positive remarks. Just curious if anyone else has any experience with this product. A kit is $99 but may be well worth it if it keeps your paint or PPF from getting torn up. I'm a bit paranoid about the front end of my MY as I've been used to a sport ute that never had that issue and now I need to try to remember the front end when I park. This might be good insurance if I forget.

I installed it on my Model 3--not too hard if you are handy and go to the videos to see how (I assume the install on the Y would be similar). I have run up on some low curb stops and it has worked fine.It really protects the front lip.

upload_2020-7-15_20-39-29.png

100 bucks for 3m tape and plastic.... eh..

View attachment 564986

100 bucks for 3m tape and plastic.... eh..

Like with many things, you as the consumer decide if it is worth it (...we do live in ostensibly a free market economy). Someone had to do some research, come up with a design, select the materials, go through multiple test items, check for durability, flexibility, ease of application, then select the proper 3M VHB tape, etc, etc. The price charged reflects many things, including the profit the vendor is hoping to make. If you can come up with a better design or better product at a better price point, great. I got mine on a special deal. YMMV.

Reactions: Cho22 and laservet
Like with many things, you as the consumer decide if it is worth it (...we do live in ostensibly a free market economy). Someone had to do some research, come up with a design, select the materials, go through multiple test items, check for durability, flexibility, ease of application, then select the proper 3M VHB tape, etc, etc. The price charged reflects many things, including the profit the vendor is hoping to make. If you can come up with a better design or better product at a better price point, great. I got mine on a special deal. YMMV.
All too true. For some folks that have steep driveways or parking areas that have curbs or parking stops that are a bit high, this might make sense to prevent the spoiler from getting scratched up or worse yet damaged. $99 is cheap compared to having a spoiler repainted or worse yet repaired. Also if you have paint protection film, that would have to be replaced too. All that adds up quickly. We have all been there when we park in or back out of an unfamiliar area and you hear that awful scraping sound. This is the first product I've seen that does this. There may be others on the market but it is nice to see that someone thought of this as we all have had this happen at some point.

I had a Hamann spoiler before and it lower the contact height by about an inch. When I did take a dip too fast and hard it ended up bending my bumper on the sides because the whole thing pushed up and the sides were the first to give. I just imagine I were to add something that made my spoiler even lower to the ground it would be quicker to contact said ground whereas it might not have before. I can understand the benefit of installing on something more rigid. Like the rails. Just have never seen it on the bottom of the bumper as I don’t think the bumper can support the weight of the car. It is an interesting concept and I guess it would protect the ppf. Let us know how it works out.

Ok. I looked at the pictures. I guess it’s for those that assume they will scrape and if it’s a given it’s going to scrape then it might as well be some polyurethane vs paint.

Last edited: