Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Lightning Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my Model 3 for an F-150 Lightning (Lariat trim level). I still have my old Model S. Thought I would provide some unbiased impressions, as I don't favor any one company over another for EVs currently.

I was interested in getting an EV pickup truck. Prior to buying, I was impressed that Ford actually made a real EV truck. It's just like an F-150 gas truck in a lot of ways, has many of the same benefits, has competitive price, competitive battery size and range.

I don't like the odd styling of the Cybertruck, nor do I like the move towards no stalks and non-circular steering wheels. I was also concerned that the side of the truck bed on the Cybertruck would be problematic for things like skid loaders trying to dump a load of mulch or gravel in the back. I don't really know if that's a problem or not, as no one has reviewed it in that way, but it was one of my concerns.

Charging was a concern, but not a large one. On charging, Cybertruck has the advantage, but the advantage is closing. Living in Missouri, Tesla used to be the only option for travel charging. Now there are CCS options like Electrify America; still not nearly as good as Tesla, but at least it's there. I also don't plan on using the truck for travel that much. And it is currently thought that, as Ford moves to using NACS and Tesla stations, there will be an adapter available to support CCS equipped vehicles. If that holds, the F-150 will eventually be able to use the Tesla superchargers.

I've now had the F-150 for a couple of weeks. Some of my observations about it, having had it for a bit now.

1) The software, not surprisingly, is not as good as Tesla. When I first tried to set a charging limit for home, I had to get out the manual and also Google it before I fully understood it. I had to first set up a "location" for home before I could set a charging limit. But I couldn't set up a "location" until after I had first charged there, which is super annoying. So I had to fiddle around trying to charge just long enough for it to recognize my home as a charging location before I could add it as a charging location, all so I could set a charging limit. Major pain in the you know what. I also set up a charge schedule while I was at it. But then I discovered there was no way to easily override the location settings; there is no "just start charging now" button you can press if you want to override and immediately charge. PITA. Tesla definitely better on software. WITH ONE EXCEPTION -- for those who want it, the F-150 does have Apple CarPlay or whatever it's called, and I think it has the Android version also.

2) With my family, the insurance rate was just a hair cheaper than it was for the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

3) It's nice not having to worry about scraping the front (or back) on curbs anymore. That's not a F-150 vs Cybertruck thing, just a nice consequence of finally having a truck again instead of all cars.

4) The ride is comfortable, if just a bit floaty.

5) It's super nice having a frunk on a truck. It's so much more appreciated than a frunk on a car. The frunk of the Model 3 was a novelty. The frunk on the F-150 is a true feature, both for giving a truck actual covered storage and because of it's large size.

6) Gas trucks always sound like they are about to have a hernia when accelerating. Moreso than cars, I think the quiet acceleration of an EV really sells for a truck.

7) I feel just a little guilty driving such a big vehicle. It's huge compared to the cars I've owned. It barely fits in my large garage. The tires are 275s. They look like normal tires from afar, but they are so big overall that they are actually 275s, as wide as beefy Corvette tires in sectional width. It's crazy. But everyone in Missouri has a truck this big, so I guess I'm just normal now. It feels a lot bigger than the old 90's F-150 I was borrowing several times a year prior to buying my own. Not sure if it actually is or not.

8) I have a parking sensor that is constantly thinking something is in front of it and making noises and throwing up error messages. Well, I guess it's a Ford. Trying to get it fixed. But at least the A/C probably won't smell like vinegar.

9) The F-150 moon roof available on the higher trim F-150s is really nice. It can open much like an early Model S pano roof, but it also has a powered cover/shade on the underside of it. I love it.

10) The rear seat A/C vents suck. They barely work. You have to block a lot of the front vents to get it to have enough pressure to have noticeable output on the rear vents.

11) A pet peeve of mine on newer vehicles if not having spare tires. The F-150 Lightning has a spare tire, and I like that.

12) The backup sound on the F-150 Lightning is kind of annoying, but it could be worse. Tesla has a better backup sound.

Overall, I like this truck, and am happy with it so far. The Model 3 was a good car, but I have no regrets. I still have the S when I want some Tesla fun. Some day I'd like to get a long range travel EV; I would probably trade up my 2014 Model S P85 for something that could get 350 highway miles, but there is still nothing really available that meets that objective. I'd also be sad to see my old S go, as it has some cool features you can't get on a Tesla anymore, plus is grandfathered into free connectivity and supercharging which is super nice.

If I encounter more noteworthy observations, I'll come back here and post them.
3580517714_17f3f3dbd8_b (1).jpg

Last edited:
If that holds, the F-150 will eventually be able to use the Tesla superchargers.

As I understand it, the F150 Lightning will only be able to use the V3 Superchargers (the ones rated 250kW) or V4 dispensers (the new taller ones with the longer cables). Older V2s rated 120kW or 150kW do not speak CCS, according to Out of Spec and a few other sources. I haven't seen anything refuting that or talking about the V2s being upgradable without being replaced entirely.

Where I live it's still like 25% V2 superchargers from 10 years ago. Makes a huge difference in coverage deleting those.

Going to be a mess on Plugshare for awhile with that issue. Hopefully Ford onboard nav / FordPass App handle that intelligently.

As I understand it, the F150 Lightning will only be able to use the V3 Superchargers (the ones rated 250kW) or V4 dispensers (the new taller ones with the longer cables). Older V2s rated 120kW or 150kW do not speak CCS, according to Out of Spec and a few other sources. I haven't seen anything refuting that or talking about the V2s being upgradable without being replaced entirely.

Where I live it's still like 25% V2 superchargers from 10 years ago. Makes a huge difference in coverage deleting those.

Going to be a mess on Plugshare for awhile with that issue. Hopefully Ford onboard nav / FordPass App handle that intelligently.
Absolutely. It will only be V3 and V4 Superchargers, and the V3 is not ideal. But I'm actually okay with this, and reassured by current Supercharger build out. I didn't survey the entire country, but in my state there are already quite a few 250 kW Tesla chargers, which means they have to be either V3 or V4. Both in smaller towns and large cities there are new Superchargers being put in. The site nearest me used to have just 6 V2 Superchargers, but I just checked the Tesla Supercharger map yesterday and saw that it now has the original 6 V2 Superchargers plus 8 additional 250 kW Superchargers (don't know if V3 or V4, would have to go look). Another smaller town about 130 miles down the highway I used to charge at when traveling for work which has V2 Superchargers now has multiple Supercharger sites despite only being a 100k pop town, and the newer ones are V3 or V4.

I think it's important that people realize it won't be the whole network, but I still have a pretty positive outlook that it's still significant and will continue to improve over time.

Does Tesla still sell or put out urban superchargers? Or have they discontinued it to focus on L2 Universal Wall Connector? I think there's a good use case for Urban SCs or any charging in the 20-70kW range. Movies, parks, coffee shops, restaurants,

Reactions: LoudMusic
I owned a 2022 Lightning Pro with the small battery, MSRP was $46K and I got the federal tax rebate. I really liked the way the truck drove and did truck stuff, but I couldn’t live with the small battery and the cost to charge where I live is terrible (37 cents per kWh with no TOU) unless one has solar. Now that I have solar and plenty of capacity to feed a truck I would consider an extended range Lighting. I feel like there are many new competitors coming online soon and the last I read the Lightning was likely due for a complete platform change in 2025. The pricing on the extended range in an XLT or Lariat is more than I want to spend right now, the MYLR fits my budget better and should work fine as I still have an ICE pickup.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Ford and it's dealers are aggressively discounting 2023 Lightning trucks.
I take delivery of a 2023 Anti-matter blue Lariat extended range this week.
$21000 CAD discount for $93000 all in (taxes, fees, license).
$140/mo insurance.

For comparison, our 2013 Model S was $104K, and while it is still going strong, it's not a good tow vehicle.

We rented a 2022 Lightning last year and towed a 7500 lb travel trailer around Prince Edward County in Ontario Canada for a week.
We sat in a Cybertruck a few weeks ago, and that sadly pushed me to find and negotiate a deal on a Lightning.
Tesla will improve their truck, but for now, the advantages of the Lightning made it a compelling buy.

I'm keeping my CT reservation, I really wanted to love it, yet our first impression was poor, I'll rent one when they come available in Canada and see if the driving outweighs the disadvantages of the

small frunk
rear charge port (bad for towing)
poor road visibility (sun visor was in my line of sight when seat configured for sight lines of the truck corners)
poor towing dynamics (see Kyle Connor out of Spec channel for recent towing test where the light and responsive steering was a detriment when towing a large 10000 lb trailer).
and ...
PRICE - for reference, 93000 CAD is cheaper than a Model Y performance I configured with similar options

Reactions: Cal1, KBF and KJD
Ford and it's dealers are aggressively discounting 2023 Lightning trucks.
I take delivery of a 2023 Anti-matter blue Lariat extended range this week.
$21000 CAD discount for $93000 all in (taxes, fees, license).
$140/mo insurance.

For comparison, our 2013 Model S was $104K, and while it is still going strong, it's not a good tow vehicle.

We rented a 2022 Lightning last year and towed a 7500 lb travel trailer around Prince Edward County in Ontario Canada for a week.
We sat in a Cybertruck a few weeks ago, and that sadly pushed me to find and negotiate a deal on a Lightning.
Tesla will improve their truck, but for now, the advantages of the Lightning made it a compelling buy.

I'm keeping my CT reservation, I really wanted to love it, yet our first impression was poor, I'll rent one when they come available in Canada and see if the driving outweighs the disadvantages of the

small frunk
rear charge port (bad for towing)
poor road visibility (sun visor was in my line of sight when seat configured for sight lines of the truck corners)
poor towing dynamics (see Kyle Connor out of Spec channel for recent towing test where the light and responsive steering was a detriment when towing a large 10000 lb trailer).
and ...
PRICE - for reference, 93000 CAD is cheaper than a Model Y performance I configured with similar options

Thanks for the report.

I also have a Lightning Lariat since January last year. I love my Tesla's, but Ford Blue Cruise beats anything Tesla currently has to offer. Better than EAP - no phantom braking or +5mph max speed and tracks very well. Also, hands free on the freeway. If Tesla would add Lane Change Confirmation to FSDb (until they fix the random lane change problem) I think I would prefer it to BlueCruise but in it's current state it loses soundly. I just use EAP or TACC when in the Tesla's.

Do you have enough experience to compare recent versions of FSD vs Blue Cruise? Especially on non-mapped rural highways?

If you mean V12, then no, I have not received that update yet but I always test FSD when I get a new release - always hopefuly...

[Edit] FYI, I am currently on FSDb 11.4.9 [/Edit]
Update; I have since been updated to 12.3 and recently 12.3.3. It isn't perfect but 12.3.3 is a massive improvement and I no longer think Bluecruise is better. I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. It will still be a while before FSD is unmonitored but it is now actually a useful feature.

Update; I have since been updated to 12.3 and recently 12.3.3. It isn't perfect but 12.3.3 is a massive improvement and I no longer think Bluecruise is better. I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. It will still be a while before FSD is unmonitored but it is now actually a useful feature.
Totally agree. 12.3.3 is a game changer.

I was seriously considering the Lightning as well and have a good amount flight time in both the Platinum and Lariat Models. A friend bought a Lariat (his first EV) and I helped him get accustomed to all the nerdy EV stuff. Before this, I had the Platinum for several weeks at a time recently.

It's America's best selling truck +, even more so with the ability to use the outlets in the frunk, cabin and the ones located in the rear bed. It has 3 dedicated breakers. The Lightning destroys the Rivian when it comes to outlets as the Rivian is barely as strong as a single home 15A outlet.

We had several high powered tools plugged into onsite and was a whole new ball game having power right there on hand. This was incredible.

In my opinion, the Mach-E and Lightning are Ford's best built vehicles. If they would build all their cars to this level it'd be a whole different brand that others would take seriously.

The lightning drives very smoothly, a bit floaty yes, but extremely comfortable.

The infotainment system UI and software sucks. Just the hard truth, but there's room for improvement.

The charging rate is mediocre at best. They really need to address this.

The frunk is the star of the show really. WIth most trucks unless you had a solid cover, you can't really unitlize it with day to day stuff like groceries, lighter items, kids toys (lighter stuff that can fly out), and even lighter suit cases to some degree without worrying about it potentially flying out, let alone getting stolen. - The Lightning solves all this as the Frunk is huge and it really allows one to use the Lightning like they would a car.

Now with the ability to charge on Tesla SCs, along with getting a free adapter from Ford, this really changes everything for non tesla vehicles.

The introduction of the CT doesn't take away from how great the Lightning is in my opinion. The CT falls short in a lot of areas, still beta in my opinion and has a lot of things to work out. The frunk is really small on the CT too so there's no comparison there. The Lightning destroys the CT in the frunk space department.

With that said, for ulility purposes I'd still get the Lightning for all that it offers at a much lower price point. If you want a people hauler in the form of a truck, both would suffice.

However, keep an eye out on the new Silverado EV as that may very well be the new EV Truck King here shortly.

I was seriously considering the Lightning as well and have a good amount flight time in both the Platinum and Lariat Models. A friend bought a Lariat (his first EV) and I helped him get accustomed to all the nerdy EV stuff. Before this, I had the Platinum for several weeks at a time recently.

It's America's best selling truck +, even more so with the ability to use the outlets in the frunk, cabin and the ones located in the rear bed. It has 3 dedicated breakers. The Lightning destroys the Rivian when it comes to outlets as the Rivian is barely as strong as a single home 15A outlet.

We had several high powered tools plugged into onsite and was a whole new ball game having power right there on hand. This was incredible.

In my opinion, the Mach-E and Lightning are Ford's best built vehicles. If they would build all their cars to this level it'd be a whole different brand that others would take seriously.

The lightning drives very smoothly, a bit floaty yes, but extremely comfortable.

The infotainment system UI and software sucks. Just the hard truth, but there's room for improvement.

The charging rate is mediocre at best. They really need to address this.

The frunk is the star of the show really. WIth most trucks unless you had a solid cover, you can't really unitlize it with day to day stuff like groceries, lighter items, kids toys (lighter stuff that can fly out), and even lighter suit cases to some degree without worrying about it potentially flying out, let alone getting stolen. - The Lightning solves all this as the Frunk is huge and it really allows one to use the Lightning like they would a car.

Now with the ability to charge on Tesla SCs, along with getting a free adapter from Ford, this really changes everything for non tesla vehicles.

The introduction of the CT doesn't take away from how great the Lightning is in my opinion. The CT falls short in a lot of areas, still beta in my opinion and has a lot of things to work out. The frunk is really small on the CT too so there's no comparison there. The Lightning destroys the CT in the frunk space department.

With that said, for ulility purposes I'd still get the Lightning for all that it offers at a much lower price point. If you want a people hauler in the form of a truck, both would suffice.

However, keep an eye out on the new Silverado EV as that may very well be the new EV Truck King here shortly.
Yeah. When I get my CB I will miss the spacious frunk, birds-eye view, and rear cross traffic alert on the Lightning. Ford did a lot of things right. However, the tonneau more than compensates for the smaller frunk, and Tesla's 3d view should be a good alternative to birdseye view. Unfortunately, the lack of rear cross traffic alert has been and will continue to be a glaring omission from Tesla vehicles. I will miss that the most. If I had to tow long distances, the Silverado would be the only EV option IMO and I probably wouldn't even do that and just stick with diesel.

Reactions: Elektrick
Yeah. When I get my CB I will miss the spacious frunk, birds-eye view, and rear cross traffic alert on the Lightning. Ford did a lot of things right. However, the tonneau more than compensates for the smaller frunk, and Tesla's 3d view should be a good alternative to birdseye view. Unfortunately, the lack of rear cross traffic alert has been and will continue to be a glaring omission from Tesla vehicles. I will miss that the most. If I had to tow long distances, the Silverado would be the only EV option IMO and I probably wouldn't even do that and just stick with diesel.

It baffles me that Tesla has yet to implement the cross traffic alert. I have an aftermarket mini display installed in both cars and it flashes red on the side of the mini display so the feed/data is definitely there. If it had an audible beep that would have been perfect. This mini display also has a front bumper camera which is really helpful.

I'm surprised that no aftermarket company has made anything to address this, knowing that it's possible.

However, it's a big shame that Tesla missed the mark on this one. I'm thinking maybe they wanted to reserve this normal feature (special to Tesla *face palm* right?) for the Highland and Juniper as the new 3 has the red LED in the upper door speakers.

I can't help but to feel that us Telsa owners are falling into the Apple magic show to accept either removing something or it not existing is considered a feature/upgrade.

Reactions: TjckTock
Handling review.

. Steering ratio is much slower than our Model S sedan, and I know this is advantageous for towing as I spent many hours towing with a 2022 Lightning last summer. In the city, roundabouts that I would slalom in the S for fun are harder to negotiate at speed, but when I do, the truck corners flat, very little roll.
. Regenerative braking is MUCH stronger than our Model S when "one pedal driving" mode is selected. Confidence inspiring in tight city driving.
. Acceleration from a stop is strong, stronger than our 2013 S, all four wheels chirp if the truck is set in sport mode. In normal mode, the traction is smoother, no chirp.
. No torque steer. Truck feels rear biased for an all wheel drive 580 HP vehicle.
. Acceleration on gravel is very composed, tried to get it loose, and the rear complies with a little playfulness.
. The truck doesn't require leaning into a corner, the seats have good bolstering.
. Hard acceleration on corner exit is no drama, pulls strong.
. No issues with 110 km/h+ passing on highway, adds 7- 10 km/h per second per second
. SOOOFT suspension, the more stuff I put in the truck, the better it feels, ie, the more passengers the better, golf clubs, e-bike, fishing tackle, keep loading it up.
. Independent rear suspension is noticeable compared to the pickups I have rented or driven in the past decade (we RV a lot).

• Informative
Reactions: primedive and tm1v2
Handling review.

. Steering ratio is much slower than our Model S sedan, and I know this is advantageous for towing as I spent many hours towing with a 2022 Lightning last summer. In the city, roundabouts that I would slalom in the S for fun are harder to negotiate at speed, but when I do, the truck corners flat, very little roll.
. Regenerative braking is MUCH stronger than our Model S when "one pedal driving" mode is selected. Confidence inspiring in tight city driving.
. Acceleration from a stop is strong, stronger than our 2013 S, all four wheels chirp if the truck is set in sport mode. In normal mode, the traction is smoother, no chirp.
. No torque steer. Truck feels rear biased for an all wheel drive 580 HP vehicle.
. Acceleration on gravel is very composed, tried to get it loose, and the rear complies with a little playfulness.
. The truck doesn't require leaning into a corner, the seats have good bolstering.
. Hard acceleration on corner exit is no drama, pulls strong.
. No issues with 110 km/h+ passing on highway, adds 7- 10 km/h per second per second
. SOOOFT suspension, the more stuff I put in the truck, the better it feels, ie, the more passengers the better, golf clubs, e-bike, fishing tackle, keep loading it up.
. Independent rear suspension is noticeable compared to the pickups I have rented or driven in the past decade (we RV a lot).
Are you talking about the Lightning? I have very different experience on two of your bullets:
  • Torque-steer - It is significant on my 2023 Lightning Lariat. If you stomp the pedal on a straight road, you better be holding on tight to the steering wheel or you will end up in a ditch on the far side of the road (pulls left). I don't notice it at all for typical driving but if you are showing off the acceleration, hold on.
  • Suspension - agree is it very smooth and comfortable when unloaded but it gets very stiff once I have more than about 800 lbs in the bed. I actually pulled over the first time I did this to check to see if I was on the stops (I wasn't). On my prior truck (1996 K2500 Suburban), I had the opposite experience - was a lot smoother/more comfortable when it was loaded. Between the two I definitely prefer the LIghtning since I drive around with light load >95% of the time.

• Torque-steer - It is significant on my 2023 Lightning Lariat. If you stomp the pedal on a straight road, you better be holding on tight to the steering wheel or you will end up in a ditch on the far side of the road (pulls left). I don't notice it at all for typical driving but if you are showing off the acceleration, hold on.

The Lightning is heavy, so when I dip into it, I get the truck settled such that some weight has shifted and then floor it. It's a bit of a fine line, I don't go from 0 to max immediately, I roll into it and then jam to the floor, get the truck seated a bit on the back tires and then use that traction. Also, this initial settling acceleration is the signal to my passengers to get their heads to the headrest, ASAP !

My truck is brand new, as are the tires and suspension components, they haven't worn in yet. Generally, the more worn in the suspension joints are, the more play the steering will have. Our Model S handling was transformed following a suspension overhaul in Jan 2023 when the car turned 10 years old, it rides and handles better than I remember now, which is fun and makes me look forward to driving it vs the Lightning.

In the Lightning, if on 90 degree corner, and dip heavily into the accelerator, I need to spin the steering wheel back to straight in a hurry, which is stressful to say the least, so I wait for straight stretches of road. This contrasts to our rear wheel drive Model S when you corner aggressively will straighten out without any drama.

I love driving the Lightning, but I miss the handling of the Model S, but damn it's fun to drive a 580 HP pickup truck, what a sleeper.