Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have bad phantom braking on C-470 in Denver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going both east and westbound on C-470 between Quebec and Santa-Fe there are several spots that seem to be bad for phantom braking. Both when approaching exits and overpasses. Wondering if other people see it or if it is a peculiarity of my car.

Reactions: CO_MY
You should list more details of your car/system as it's a broad range of both hardware and software across the Tesla line. I have no doubt it's not AP1 as phantom braking isn't something prevalent in that particular system but other than that, just guessing.

Yes, with 100% consistency on eastbound 470. Don't remember the exact exit, but it's somewhere between Broadway and I25. Happens every time.

It's very weird behavior, but it isn't like the other phantom braking events I experience. Rather than a false emergency braking event, the car simply chooses the wrong speed limit, Seems like bad mapping data or the cameras spot a "45mph exit" speed limit sign and interpret it incorrectly.

Either way, it's frustrating, and could be dangerous. There needs to be a reporting mechanism for weird/wrong autopilot behaviors.

Reactions: Clover
Yes, with 100% consistency on eastbound 470. Don't remember the exact exit, but it's somewhere between Broadway and I25. Happens every time.

It's very weird behavior, but it isn't like the other phantom braking events I experience. Rather than a false emergency braking event, the car simply chooses the wrong speed limit, Seems like bad mapping data or the cameras spot a "45mph exit" speed limit sign and interpret it incorrectly.

Either way, it's frustrating, and could be dangerous. There needs to be a reporting mechanism for weird/wrong autopilot behaviors.
We had the the exact same experience last week on 470 in our new model Y. I’m afraid of getting rear ended on one of the slow downs.

Yes, the 3 predictable spots are still there: westbound at the Wadsworth and Santa Fe exits and eastbound at the Santa Fe exit ramp.

I do not get phantom breaking, I get a cruise control change from 70 to 45, which is equally abrupt. I do not have that problem when I'm in the Express Lane. While you might guess it's reading the 45 mph exit ramp sign, that doesn't happen in areas where the actual speed limit changes. I keep looking for a better explanation.