Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever motorized their Tesla panels to move?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious, has anyone ever built a custom mount setup that allows their panes to elevate, tilt, or rotate after they’ve been installed? Think some custom lifters that would allow an east facing panel to elevate and face west as the day progresses. I have panels mounted west, east, and south and I’d like my east facing panels to face west as the day progresses.

Last edited:
I would be really shocked if anyone has done this.

Solar trackers have been a thing since the early days of solar. However considering how relatively inexpensive panels are these days, the economics likely won't work out. These days you just get more panels.

Here is some reading:

Unless you're pole mounted with a manual crank (see profile pic)
Yes, but that is pole mounted to begin with, and it is a great way to do solar if you have the space/location. Tilt on a roof is harder technically, and runs into a few code issues with respect wind ratings. So, to answer the OP's question, (@SanDiegoM3), I really doubt it.

All the best,

BG

Yes, but that is pole mounted to begin with, and it is a great way to do solar if you have the space/location. Tilt on a roof is harder technically, and runs into a few code issues with respect wind ratings. So, to answer the OP's question, (@SanDiegoM3), I really doubt it.

All the best,

BG
Exactly, a system like that is designed for movement and tilts at one point, 2x per year.

A roof-mounted system that does this daily is a much larger ask, especially if you want more than a few degrees or so, and this movement wasn't designed in from the start.

Reactions: BGbreeder