Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone experience scraping the bottom of Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was exiting over an inverted V shaped driveway leaving a Shell gas station on Westheimer/Beltway 8 in Houston. I heard the bottom scraping the concrete driveway, just wonder how much leeway is built in to the bottom before there is damage to the battery compartment?

I pulled over a huge curb/median in mine about a year and a half ago, sounded awful but no ill effects that I've noticed.

It was pulling out of a parking lot, went to make a left (on a dark night and there was no "one way only" sign on the median like there normally is...it was the worst sound ever. The curb was low enough that I didn't hit it with the front bumper, but high enough that I bottomed out as I jumped over it.

My guess after that is that as long as the bumper will clear whatever you're going over and you don't hit it at a million miles an hour, you should be fine. The bottom of the car is built like a tank.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
I pulled over a huge curb/median in mine about a year and a half ago, sounded awful but no ill effects that I've noticed.

It was pulling out of a parking lot, went to make a left (on a dark night and there was no "one way only" sign on the median like there normally is...it was the worst sound ever. The curb was low enough that I didn't hit it with the front bumper, but high enough that I bottomed out as I jumped over it.

My guess after that is that as long as the bumper will clear whatever you're going over and you don't hit it at a million miles an hour, you should be fine. The bottom of the car is built like a tank.

good to hear. I hit a unpainted speed bump going 15mph. sounded awful. They must have improved the S bottom

I scraped pretty bad getting in and out of a steep driveway at our rental in San Diego. The black plastic trim on the bottom side near the middle popped off a bit. Luckily I was able to push it back on as the clips had just came undone.

While I was exiting a park, the one way spikes scraped the bottom.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.26.54 PM.png

I was exiting over an inverted V shaped driveway leaving a Shell gas station on Westheimer/Beltway 8 in Houston. I heard the bottom scraping the concrete driveway, just wonder how much leeway is built in to the bottom before there is damage to the battery compartment?
I have just discovered this scaling noise on entering my driveway after loaning a Tesla three overnight but had fully committed to the purchase before they would loan me the car! I had mentioned the height this could be an issue to the Tesla salesman who mentioned this would not be an issue.
Will be discussing this on the loan cars return today Very happy with the performance and everything else about the car!
Ken

I have just discovered this scaling noise on entering my driveway after loaning a Tesla three overnight but had fully committed to the purchase before they would loan me the car! I had mentioned the height this could be an issue to the Tesla salesman who mentioned this would not be an issue.
Will be discussing this on the loan cars return today Very happy with the performance and everything else about the car!
Ken

Try entering at 45 degree angle. I too will scrape on my driveway if entering "normally".

I did exactly what you described. It sounded a LOT worse than it actually was. I couldn't see any damage when I inspected it the next day. I suspect that kind of incident won't hurt it. It is spread out. A sharp object on the other hand...