Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a recent new home Solar Roof quote?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to build a good sized new home with a large and complex roof. The quotes I've gotten so far for a Solar Roof are...well they're high. Just curious if anyone else has gotten a recent quote to help me understand if the area we're looking to build is marked up or if these systems are actually that expensive.

pricing is different for different areas, some drastically. type in same size system for different addresses and see. i tried my old business address and it was in $250k 13kW system 2 pw's... lowest size it would quote. 10kW system at nearby residential house with 2 powerwalls was $80k.

actual retail price for the showcase showdown.... who knows. probably have to pay the refundable $250 and get a real quote as those are "estimates"

Agree with above...to truly get a better idea for comparison with people here, the details that would matter would be:
-city / town
-square foot of roof being covered
-amount of Pv tiles (kW) being proposed
-powerwalls or not

Unfortunately, yes mine was expensive (and that was before the rate hike that occurred in 2021).

At this point, the product is not good (or even reasonable) choice for everyone. It was worth it to me.

I'm with @SVDNN. A Tesla solar roof is never going to be inexpensive. Based on other's experience here, it also doesn't sound like it is going to be easy to coordinate, so count on a temporary roof cover that will get pulled whenever Tesla turns up. But if it is what you want, go for it.

Have you considered simplifying the roof design, and trading roof complexity for larger, south facing planes? Again, the reports that I see here don't give me the warm and fuzzies about Tesla roofing's attention to detail in the execution of complex roofs, arising either from lack of knowledge, or lack of experience.

I see many modern roofs with decorative roof complexity, which is an invitation to leaks no matter how good your installer is, and vermin infestations if not done well. There is also the issue of vents, locations and numbers thereof, but that is another discussion.

All the best,

BG