Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Solar roof solar-versary to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Officially 1 year in service today.
This took forever to sort out and get installed. Tesla corporate is probably the worst company I've ever had to deal with. The local crew was great and if not for them, I probably would have given up and abandoned the project. Anyway, we needed a new roof installed at the time, and if I subtract that out of the ROI calculation, it's on track to pay for itself in just about 8 years.
12.4 kW Solar Roof
Estimated energy produced: 12,700 kWh /yr
2 Powerwalls

Actual production
14,400 kwh
actual usage
19,000 kwh (3150 kwh for car)

offset 75%
energy value $3900

my average electricity (LADWP) over the year has been $110/mo
and the average production was $325/mo

I designed the house to use electricity as many appliances as possible. Still have nat gas for range and tankless water heater. pool pump and pool heater (heat pump) use as much electricity as the rest of the house. pool heat pump draws approx 6.5kw, home heat pump draws between 3-5kw

Overall I'm glad I did this, wish the system could have been a little larger, but using 75% less electricity is nothing to sneeze at. Due to the size/complexity of roof, I don't think we could fit any additional panels.

Got the model Y updated to charge on solar. put about 15 kwh into the car today. truly a game changer. I can really see the next generation of all this technology allowing for clean, off-grid urban mobility.
Why? I just plugged my car in today, when I had full PW's, and exporting 15kw Back to PGE. I just then hit charge as it is doing now. Nice and simple

What effort are you referring to? Plugging the car in? Updating the software in the car? How is what you’re doing any simpler? Please explain.
Whether it is CoS, or grid charging, etc. I just see so much effort on how to save a few pennies, or stick it to the utility, etc.

My car is plugged in. I turned it off at 4pm since I wanted to have my solar going back to utility for max rate. I will turn it back on after lunch today when my PW's are charged, etc. Just simple. No app to worry about, settings, costs. But again, just me

Reactions: sunwarriors
Officially 1 year in service today.
This took forever to sort out and get installed. Tesla corporate is probably the worst company I've ever had to deal with. The local crew was great and if not for them, I probably would have given up and abandoned the project. Anyway, we needed a new roof installed at the time, and if I subtract that out of the ROI calculation, it's on track to pay for itself in just about 8 years.
12.4 kW Solar Roof
Estimated energy produced: 12,700 kWh /yr
2 Powerwalls

Actual production
14,400 kwh
actual usage
19,000 kwh (3150 kwh for car)

offset 75%
energy value $3900

my average electricity (LADWP) over the year has been $110/mo
and the average production was $325/mo

I designed the house to use electricity as many appliances as possible. Still have nat gas for range and tankless water heater. pool pump and pool heater (heat pump) use as much electricity as the rest of the house. pool heat pump draws approx 6.5kw, home heat pump draws between 3-5kw

Overall I'm glad I did this, wish the system could have been a little larger, but using 75% less electricity is nothing to sneeze at. Due to the size/complexity of roof, I don't think we could fit any additional panels.
What was the overall cost for the system that you have?

Whether it is CoS, or grid charging, etc. I just see so much effort on how to save a few pennies, or stick it to the utility, etc.

My car is plugged in. I turned it off at 4pm since I wanted to have my solar going back to utility for max rate. I will turn it back on after lunch today when my PW's are charged, etc. Just simple. No app to worry about, settings, costs. But again, just me
So, you’re manually turning off your car charging at 4pm so you can sell power back for a few pennies more. And then you manually turn the charging back on to save a few pennies. I really just have to smile at the effort you put into saving a few pennies. Keep up the good work. I love manually turning things on and off instead of letting automation take care of it. I’m going to look into this great feature you found.

So, you’re manually turning off your car charging at 4pm so you can sell power back for a few pennies more. And then you manually turn the charging back on to save a few pennies. I really just have to smile at the effort you put into saving a few pennies. Keep up the good work. I love manually turning things on and off instead of letting automation take care of it. I’m going to look into this great feature you found.
Yep, I just turned back on, to say pennies :) Zero hassle

The recent “tropical storm” did a great job of washing the roof. Production is increased a bit.
My neighbors have 3rd party solar with white grids and made of glass which is all clean as of today. Mine is Tesla solar panels and its not covered with glass on them. They are like think aluminum lines with gaps in between. I have tons of leafs stuck inside of them.

Car charging
Why? I just plugged my car in today, when I had full PW's, and exporting 15kw Back to PGE. I just then hit charge as it is doing now. Nice and simple
With Tesla Solar Roof and just 3 Powerwalls, just ain't nice and simple, unless you don't mind dumping your Powerwalls into your car. At my house, Powerwalls fill up anywhere from 1:30m to 2:30. Not enough good production time to charge the car without using up house battery. Charge HQ is taking care of that for me. THAT is nice and simple.
I'll get another Powerwall soon. I'll still use charge with excess solar.....