Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the newer SPORT RIMS and taken the black caps off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2019 MS3 with the older sport rim design and I took the black center plastic caps off and replaced them with the silver model s center caps and chrome covers. A few people have done it on here as well.

Is this possible with the newer Sport Rims? has anyone tried? how does it look? Attached a pic for reference of what I used to have. In the market for a replacement and just doing my research.

Attachments

• 20200228_160550.jpg
    20200228_160550.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 258
I found this video of someone who removed the black center covers on his 2021 sport rims.
Skip to the 3:59 mark for a final side-by-side comparison of the rims with and without the center cover. This guy did stick with black lug nut covers and a black center cap. Overall, I think these particular sport rims do look a little better without the black center cover & caps.

However, overall, I think the 2021 sport rims are a major downgrade in terms of looks compared to the previous generation. Very ”flat” and not sporty looking at all, IMO. Obviously, the flatter design was intended to improve the vehicles overall air resistance/efficiency. In real world driving conditions though, the improvement/gain from the rim redesign is likely negligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlkmade
I found this video of someone who removed the black center covers on his 2021 sport rims.
Skip to the 3:59 mark for a final side-by-side comparison of the rims with and without the center cover. This guy did stick with black lug nut covers and a black center cap. Overall, I think these particular sport rims do look a little better without the black center cover & caps.

However, overall, I think the 2021 sport rims are a major downgrade in terms of looks compared to the previous generation. Very ”flat” and not sporty looking at all, IMO. Obviously, the flatter design was intended to improve the vehicles overall air resistance/efficiency. In real world driving conditions though, the improvement/gain from the rim redesign is likely negligible.

Awesome stuff, this is what I was hoping for. I plan on doing the same thing again if I stick with the 3. I really appreciate it.

I definitely still prefer the look of the 'old' 19" sport rims but this gives me hope that I at least can do this again and it looks decent after losing my first m3.

Now to decide if I can wait till Jan for a Y or do another 3.|

Forgot how great this community was on TMC.