Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Clicking sound from wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

My wheels have recently been making a clicking sound. First it was the left side of the vehicle. I looked thoroughly but couldn't find anything in the treads that would be making the noise (plus it didn't quite sound like pebbles in the treads do). In the last few days, the noise started on the right side too.

Well today I replaced the OEM aero caps with Lasfit Wheel Covers (wrote a review here) and the ticking sound disappeared.

What I believe was the root cause is that the aero caps sit *inside* the rims, and my rims are likely slightly dented on the outer edge from potholes and curbs (DOH!). So what I was actually hearing were flexing / creaking noises from the plastic being stressed each time the wheel turned.

With the Lasfit wheel covers, they sit on the *outside* of the rim and actually cover the outer edge.

So for anyone else experiencing wheel noise / clicking / tapping noise from the wheels - try popping off your aero caps and see if it resolves the issue.