Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Heard about a Model 3 battery fire? Not that I have...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think with so many Model 3's coming on to the road, just like any other car, sooner or later there will be a fire. Most likely a result of a serious collision, or due to improper service.

There was a time back in 2012 when we had this exact same discussion about the Model S, then within a short period we had 2 puncture impacts causing a battery fire. These cases eventually led to Tesla installing a Titanium guard to protect the front of the battery.

I am very confident that Tesla makes the best automotive battery you can get on the market to day - by far. It has the highest energy density, the best longevity, and lowest cost, and they are able to produce much higher numbers of them than anyone else.

I think with so many Model 3's coming on to the road, just like any other car, sooner or later there will be a fire. Most likely a result of a serious collision, or due to improper service.

There was a time back in 2012 when we had this exact same discussion about the Model S, then within a short period we had 2 puncture impacts causing a battery fire. These cases eventually led to Tesla installing a Titanium guard to protect the front of the battery.

I am very confident that Tesla makes the best automotive battery you can get on the market to day - by far. It has the highest energy density, the best longevity, and lowest cost, and they are able to produce much higher numbers of them than anyone else.

I agree, Tesla makes an amazing product here, but it is inevitable with all the units coming on the road now and getting miles put on them, we WILL see a battery fire at some point.

EV battery fires are violent (maybe even more so than gasoline cars), however, I suspect per mile driven they will be less frequent.

So I would just class them as a different kind of hazard.

Everything in life has risk.

(I bet we have over 100 car fires a day in the US right now - how many of them make the national news? - I guarantee you the first Tesla Model 3 fire will!)

I agree, Tesla makes an amazing product here, but it is inevitable with all the units coming on the road now and getting miles put on them, we WILL see a battery fire at some point.

EV battery fires are violent (maybe even more so than gasoline cars), however, I suspect per mile driven they will be less frequent.

So I would just class them as a different kind of hazard.

Everything in life has risk.

(I bet we have over 100 car fires a day in the US right now - how many of them make the national news? - I guarantee you the first Tesla Model 3 fire will!)

Oh gosh, I vastly under estimated it:

“U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage.”

That is from the NFPA. So over four hundred a day!!!

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
My point is that I believe the 3 pack may be an even better product as far as fires. Which is great!

There are a lot of 3s on the road now to not have heard of even one fire, and trust me, we would have heard.

Thankfully, this seems to be a legit "positive" question, and not a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of setup...

The Model 3 pack appears to incorporate the "intumescent goo" that Tesla has a patent for. It's in essence a coating that rapidly expands (almost like a foam) when exposed to heat. It has the effect of extracting heat from the cell, helping to cool it, and acting as a fire retardant.

Undoubtedly there will be a battery fire with a 3... but I'd bet the cases of thermal runaway where the entire pack and/or car are consumed will be reduced.

I started a thread about this and included some pics HERE.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Thankfully, this seems to be a legit "positive" question, and not a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of setup...

The Model 3 pack appears to incorporate the "intumescent goo" that Tesla has a patent for. It's in essence a coating that rapidly expands (almost like a foam) when exposed to heat. It has the effect of extracting heat from the cell, helping to cool it, and acting as a fire retardant.

Undoubtedly there will be a battery fire with a 3... but I'd bet the cases of thermal runaway where the entire pack and/or car are consumed will be reduced.

I started a thread about this and included some pics HERE.

Saw this and thanks for your response. I know the S and X batteries use something similar, but this new fangled GOO seems to be the next step.

I am optimistic that the new battery is a significant and incremental step forward in density and safety. Which is impressive because the battery was already an excellent product.