TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Anyone interested in sharing the cost of a roadster (fractional ownership)?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by martink, Sep 13, 2006.

1. martink

martink New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Looking for like-minded car buffs to share the cost of a Tesla for delivery late 2007.
    8 owners would keep the cost under 15k and still provide a usable amount of share (say one week every 2 months)
    Ideally owners would be spaced out by no more than 200 miles so car can be driven from owner to owner.
    We could model the program after successful RV Fractional Ownership clubs.
  2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Nov 28, 2006
    Stanford, California
    Just happened upon this post from way back when.
    This is an interesting idea, but it seems like it would be too hard to manage. Also each factional owner would have to install a fast charger that would sit unused most of the time.
  3. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Herndon, VA
    They do this a lot with planes.
  4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    Yeah, I forgot. My Dad was a 1/12th owner of a Cessna 180 (?) when I was a kid.

I guess the difference is traffic. In a plane you are mostly on your own. In daily driving in a car there are thousands and thousands of possible non-driver faulted collisions.
  5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

May 23, 2008
    Winchester, UK
    There are loads of these clubs springing up around London now. One even has a G-Wizz parked among the Ferraris :smile:

I didn't get to ask on Tuesday about this, but we did see a G-Wizz on my drive and I told Darryl the same story then.

I think it would be an excellent idea to get some Roadsters into these places. Then members can try them out for a couple of days with no-strings attached (insert cable jokes here). I'd join my local one for that*. :biggrin:

I had thought Damon Hill would be a good candidate to talk to about this, but apparently he has recently sold his stake in the P1 club that he started.

*It's in Old Street, in case anyone reading can make this happen.