Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know a quick source for a replacement Sottozero winter tyre?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just discovered a nick in one of our winter tyres. Trying to find fastest option, but its weekend and run up to holiday period - more options available hopefully tomorrow. Tesla were useless - they offered to tow car up to 50 miles to a closed service centre that would not have any stock of tyres. Plan A is to try local indie when they open tomorrow, and plan B is to purchase a set online (found a source for some but probably not acoustic) and find someone to fit.

Trying to get my head around rotation. Had issue when new when tyres supplied on rims, 3 rights and a single left - how ironic that we could have done with that extra right right now. But not sure when supplied bare if there is any difference between left and right - trying to get my head around it - I don't think there is prior to being mounted but just want to check especially if I order online.

Not sure how it happened and tbh, it doesn't really matter other than avoiding similar circumstances. Right side so not normal kerb side and more rim damage would be expected - suspect car park crater at local park so we have been driving on it for a few days, or hit by debris being kicked up. That said, cut may have occurred when reversing by the side it is on and that we never noticed.

So how safe to drive distances on?

The other option is to swap some summers back on, but not sure about mixing and matching. This is a rear right. How safe to put a single summer back on to replace, or rear pair?

Bit of a concern how fragile these things are and how vulnerable you feel when this happens and no identical spare.

upload_2019-12-22_14-46-23.png

thankyou

I had spotted MyTyres which was my plan B and not an uncomfortable price. I was going to take it down to my indie tyre garage and get them to check it - hopefully they will say same as you - its maybe 2-5mm deep and no cord visible.

My concern is that all winter stock has gone, so mytyres was a bit of a relief to see stock availability. Not sure if the one I spotted was the acoustic one. I think the acoustic is less palatable for what is conflicting levels of audible difference.

I did this to a Pirelli a few years ago, looked almost identical. Took it into a tyre place, who looked into the split in the rim protector, declared that there was no damage to the sidewall reinforcement and then glued the split closed. Cost about a fiver, IIRC, and they didn't take the wheel off the car. Good local place I'd dealt with for years, and who I still use, even though we now live around 16 miles away from them, just because in the ~20 years we've used them they have never tried to get us to spend more money than needed.

I have one of these front left and one rear right... it is annoying but the tire place said that there was no damage to the tired structure but he doesn't think it'll pass an MOT. I've done a couple of thousand miles on mine, plan to replace them after the silly season

I did this to a Pirelli a few years ago, looked almost identical. Took it into a tyre place, who looked into the split in the rim protector, declared that there was no damage to the sidewall reinforcement and then glued the split closed. Cost about a fiver, IIRC, and they didn't take the wheel off the car. Good local place I'd dealt with for years, and who I still use, even though we now live around 16 miles away from them, just because in the ~20 years we've used them they have never tried to get us to spend more money than needed.
That place sounds so nice, what's it called

As others mentioned, cosmetic, "superglue, will be as good as new". Donation to their xmas fund.

Sandhurst tyres - same day fitting / falken and do do the Winter Sottozero 3 - I was looking at wrong website so didn't find them yesterday - didn't ask if they did Tesla spec ones. So thats good to know.

Not sure if its same group as Micheldever Tyres, but certainly supplied by them. Passed a Micheldever Tyres delivery van on my way in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado