Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone *not* use microfiber cloths for cleaning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently learned that microfiber cloths are a plastic and not actually a fiber and could be a contributor to microplastics in the environment. This was after I already bought a multipack :/

I just finished washing the interior with No Rinse and the cloth didn't seem to offer any absorbency above and beyond something like a terrycloth towel. When I was younger, I used to clean car interiors with used t-shirt rags and armor all which again, I think would have delivered the same experience so I'm wondering why microfiber towels are so highly recommended? Does anyone -not- use microfiber cloths?

Microfiber cloth fibers are supposed to be designed to pick up and hold onto particulates so you are not dragging them across the surface of the car. Cotton is not structurally similar so you can wipe a panel but particulates will be grinding onto the paint surface. Probably okay on the seats, but not okay on gloss plastic surfaces and car exterior surface. Certain classes of microfiber is designed to be more absorbent, and improper washing of microfiber will render it less absorbent and ineffective. I don' t know of any alternatives, though. If you do not care about scratching up the car, then anything works.

I recently learned that microfiber cloths are a plastic and not actually a fiber and could be a contributor to microplastics in the environment. This was after I already bought a multipack :/

I just finished washing the interior with No Rinse and the cloth didn't seem to offer any absorbency above and beyond something like a terrycloth towel. When I was younger, I used to clean car interiors with used t-shirt rags and armor all which again, I think would have delivered the same experience so I'm wondering why microfiber towels are so highly recommended? Does anyone -not- use microfiber cloths?
I use microfiber. Of course I wash and reuse them for years.

There are many different levels of quality when you talk about a microfiber cloth. I actually have about a half a dozen different kinds that I use for different purposes. Some are much better at absorbing water and drying cars. Some are much better at cleaning and polishing windshields. There are different weaves, thicknesses, etc. Just saying you used a microfiber cloth doesn't mean you used the best one for any given purpose.

Too old school here to use anything but 100% cotton on the interior and exterior. My service ticket always says:

Please do not wash (I hang a placard on the mirror)
Please do not rotate tires
Please do not perform alignment

I do not have paint correction nor any of the ceramic paint coatings on my Teslas nor my (5) ICE cars. My 6+ year P85 is still micro scratch free after ~85K miles.

With that said, I am not against these micro-fibre cloths and ceramic paint coatings, I just know what has continued to provide great results for this ol' OCD codger that spent much time as a youngster skiing Loon Mtn.:)

There are many different levels of quality when you talk about a microfiber cloth. I actually have about a half a dozen different kinds that I use for different purposes. Some are much better at absorbing water and drying cars. Some are much better at cleaning and polishing windshields. There are different weaves, thicknesses, etc. Just saying you used a microfiber cloth doesn't mean you used the best one for any given purpose.

Yeah I've never used microfiber for cleaning before, outside of the wipes you get for screens and monitors so I am really not sure on the quality. These are the ones I bought.

I do not have paint correction nor any of the ceramic paint coatings on my Teslas nor my (5) ICE cars. My 6+ year P85 is still micro scratch free after ~85K miles.

With that said, I am not against these micro-fibre cloths and ceramic paint coatings, I just know what has continued to provide great results for this ol' OCD codger that spent much time as a youngster skiing Loon Mtn.:)

Lol, yup, this is the first car I've ever protected with wrap and ceramic coat. Never had any issues with a 2-3x annual wax and armor-all on the inside with any previous car. I think I wouldn't even notice paint swirls if I stuck with using a chamois to dry like I used to.

I guess any synthetic fiber could fall into that category, so what about all of your clothing....is it all cotton?
No, however I am currently in the process of moving my wardrobe to ethically-sourced, which will generally be made of as much cotton fiber as I can realistically find and afford.

Not sure what that has to do with this post. Plastic is everywhere, and yes, I try to reduce when possible.

Not sure what that has to do with this post. Plastic is everywhere, and yes, I try to reduce when possible.

It sounds like your concern was with using microfiber because you feel they are bad for the environment. My point is that most clothing has similar synthetic fibers. Not sure about where you live, but here clothing that is put in the trash ends up in a land fill and not the ocean so whether it's cotton or microfiber won't make a difference to the environment.

It sounds like your concern was with using microfiber because you feel they are bad for the environment. My point is that most clothing has similar synthetic fibers. Not sure about where you live, but here clothing that is put in the trash ends up in a land fill and not the ocean so whether it's cotton or microfiber won't make a difference to the environment.

My torn or stained jeans are donated to Blue Jeans Go Green. Old t shirts are turned into cleaning rags until they're unusable. Linens and blankets are donated to local animal shelters. Anything else still fit for use is donated to goodwill.

The difference between natural fibers and synthetic is synthetic is less likely to ever break down.

Obviously I have the towels now so I will use them but I can also make the conscious decision moving forward not to purchase them, or, with the information provided in this thread, make a more informed decision on the different quality levels of the microfiber towels on the market after reading the benefits of microfiber over cotton.

I use only US made cotton towels. Towels that are NOT made in the US but say 100% cotton may contain impurities that can scratch the finish of your car. AVOID non-US cotton products!

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
cotton is too risky, even microfiber will leave light swirls over time. They get corrected when you polish the car though. Microfiber seems to lift dirt away better than cotton, the cotton itself if high quality may not scratch, but it won't be nearly as good at lifting away and trapping dirt as it passes over your paint.