Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone put MYP tires on 21" Arachnids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of Signature wheels coming which I plan to swap the factory PS4S onto and I've been looking for a tire to put on the 21" Arachnid wheels for winter. Note, it's almost certain the car will never be driven in snow or ice conditions. This is only to avoid running the factory summer tires in temps under 40*. I'm in Dallas so on occasion we can get some substantial winter weather. I tried ordering the 19" winter wheel and tire setup but Tesla website told me I didn't have an applicable vehicle and now it's out of stock. So, can't rely on Tesla here. I was suggested MYP tires, Michelin AS4s which are fairly similar diameter to the stock tires. Any input appreciated!

As an FYI, the PS4S are fine in cold weather. The same question pops up 50 times a year around winter time on the porsche forums.

As far as the MYP tires are concerned, there's no significant difference in width or diameter, so they should be fine.

If temperature never goes below 25F, you can use 4S. If it does - you will damage them (they will lose traction prematurely). Also, if they that cold - there is no traction. It takes 24 hours warming them up before you can apply the pressure on them safely.

Don't listen to those who say otherwise, Michelin has no reason to exaggerate those specs and they know better than anyone else the truth.

Reactions: NeuroRad
As an FYI, the PS4S are fine in cold weather. The same question pops up 50 times a year around winter time on the porsche forums.

As far as the MYP tires are concerned, there's no significant difference in width or diameter, so they should be fine.

What do you consider "cold"?

I've run PS4S on multiple RWD sports cars over the years and under 45-50 degrees F, the rear end just floats. Need to make a slow 90 degree right turn from a stop sign? Rear end slides out at 15mph under light acceleration.

Surprisingly not a lot of understeer on turns in the cold, but from a start, its like ice. Sport Cups are even worse.

Can you drive them in the cold? Sure, you can drive anything in the cold. You just need to be careful. I didn't change mine out in the cold, I just dealt with it. I only changed it out once there was actual snow on the ground.

If I could order my car again, I would have gone with the 19s and bought aftermarket 21s like I did anyways.

Doesn't seem like there's going to be a more economical option for cold weather tires than the MYP AS4s on the Arachnids. Seems impossible to get the 19" winter wheel and tire package from tesla