Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone running forged 19" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats the modular wheel design. Most multi piece wheels are designed like that where the face is bolted onto the barrel. Their faq has good info on the manufacturing process.

It looks like a two piece, the wheel skirt (or face is mono block), but the barrel is flow forged, which is not mono-block, mono-block means that the whole wheel is one piece coming out of the forge, not two pieces. I got all this information from their FAQ's. So they are using a pretty face and cheap barrels and fusing it or bolting it together (again not mono-block construction). ..... that's how I read it. What are the weight for your wheels, this will give and idea of the construction material. Also just checked the may two piece wheels too, so there is a possibility that the barrel are block too, but why would the advertise flow forging? which is typically a much cheaper construction? They advertise monoblock, so they must have no posted how they make those. To be honest this looks like the same press that Titan7 is using, but the cost is about $1000 less per 4 with more features on the Titan7's

Last edited:
The difference between a BC Forged monoblock wheel and a BC Forged modular wheel is the construction. A BC Forged monoblock wheel is a single piece of 6061-T6 aluminum whereas a BC Forged modular wheel is comprised of two pieces of 6061-T6 aluminum, the first being a center and the second being a lip/barrel.

thats directly from their faq. the RZ21 is listed as a monoblock wheel.

I just weighed myself then with the 20x10.5 wheel and it was about 23 lbs. Not going to dig out the 9" wheel. Take that as you will.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
To those with lighter than stock wheels - what's the driving experience like? Is there any noticeable feel in the ride or acceleration? I've heard there are plenty of differences between 19 and 21 inch wheels, but I attribute those as much to the shorter profile of the tires than the weight of the wheels/tire combo.

Just trying to see if the juice is worth the squeeze on the upgrade since my intentions for upgrading are performance/ride based and not strictly aesthetic.

To those with lighter than stock wheels - what's the driving experience like? Is there any noticeable feel in the ride or acceleration? I've heard there are plenty of differences between 19 and 21 inch wheels, but I attribute those as much to the shorter profile of the tires than the weight of the wheels/tire combo.

Just trying to see if the juice is worth the squeeze on the upgrade since my intentions for upgrading are performance/ride based and not strictly aesthetic.
The reasons you mention are the exact reasons I'm happy with my decision to go 19" over the 21" that were on there. You're over thinking it. Just go quality 19" wheels with quality 19" tires and you will be happy with the results as will your wallet. Aesthetics are the only real reason to go 21" anyway so if that's clear down on the list as you've stated then the decisions is pretty simple based on what you've said.

I have a 2019 Performance with the 21" wheels and changed to 19" Square config for Winter and couldn't really feel any difference in acceleration. Its fast either way but what I did notice was handling. This could be because of the winter tires.
The only other difference I could feel was ride quality, 19" has a softer ride.

I switched over to staggered 20s on the 100D right after purchasing and my average consumption has always been in the 340+ range. Finally swapped back to the 19" slipstreams a few days and so far my consumption has been closer to 300Wh and its winter. I haven't taken too many crazy corners since the weather has been bad but handling wise, the car felt a lighter and more responsive compared to the 20s. I had the older TST 20x9 (32.8 lbs) front and 20x10 (34.8 lbs) rears. Slipstreams are 29 lbs so I bet the flow forged wheels would feel even better. I'm not sure if range would improve because aero drag, offset, and tire compound also plays a large factor.

0C18BF32-EB17-4865-B959-DF0AF16F667C.jpeg
I have the cyclones and like them, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the turbines. I want to stay 19” for reasons of performance and ride quality. If I got new wheels today I’d probably get these from Tsportline. They’re “flow forged” so not actually forged but they are over 5 lb lighter than Tesla’s 19” offerings. Side note: “flow forged” has always irked me; there’s nothing “forged” about flow formed wheels (really only the barrels are “flow formed” anyway).
Tesla Model S 19

Your picture shows the turbine-like wheel, but your link went to the arachnid-like wheel. Here's the listing for the wheel shown:
Tesla Model S 19

They're not bad, and the price is certainly easier to swallow than some of the fully forged wheels.
Whoops, yeah I meant to link to the turbines. The arachnid knockoffs are a little lighter and I know they’re all the rage but I gotta say I‘ve just always loved the turbines’ look. Not enough to sacrifice performance and ride quality by getting 21s though.

Whoops, yeah I meant to link to the turbines. The arachnid knockoffs are a little lighter and I know they’re all the rage but I gotta say I‘ve just always loved the turbines’ look. Not enough to sacrifice performance and ride quality by getting 21s though.
We have the 19" Flow and 20" Turbines on two of our cars. I prefer the 19" since they are smoother and quieter. The 19" Turbines would probably have the look you want with a better ride and noise level.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
We have the 19" Flow and 20" Turbines on two of our cars. I prefer the 19" since they are smoother and quieter. The 19" Turbines would probably have the look you want with a better ride and noise level.
Agreed. I, too, love the look of the Turbines as to me it's the way a Tesla "should" look. It's one of the better factory wheels matched to car design I've seen, actually. When I first started Model S shopping that was one of the big must haves for me. In hindsight, now that I know how readily available the 21's are by themselves, I wish I had dropped this requirement and cast a larger net. I probably would have found a better deal but oh well... you live, you learn. I'm about to pick up our fourth used Model S next week so I think we're finally getting it right. lol

It wasn't until I discovered the Arachnid wheels that I even considered anything else for our cars. Shortly after owning a Model S in Colorado with 21's I realized this wasn't the best to live with day to day. They look great but ride way too harsh and the winter tire options are slim to none. I debated 19" v 20" for a while before I realized the weight and price difference between 1" of diameter. I determined it just wasn't worth it to have a wheel that was difficult to even tell the difference visually. 19's ride better and are perfect for year-round driving in Colorado with more tire selections too. That taller sidewall is slightly more flexible for bump absorption and the added height is nice for curb protection.

Without getting into the forged v flow forged debate I can tell you that a 19" wheel is FAR easier to live with for all of the aforementioned reasons.

Hello, does anyone have experience with Martian Wheels? Martian Wheels
They have some nice and really lightweight wheels. I like the roadster design very much. But I ordered a pair last november, but lead times and customer service is sucks. Still no ETA known for my order!
Thanks for the feedback,
Adriaan

Hello, does anyone have experience with Martian Wheels? Martian Wheels
They have some nice and really lightweight wheels. I like the roadster design very much. But I ordered a pair last november, but lead times and customer service is sucks. Still no ETA known for my order!
Thanks for the feedback,
Adriaan
Never heard of them but sounds super scammy. Those are just cookie cutter sizes they are offering it shouldn't take that long. Even the custom BC Forged wheels I ordered in late Nov only took about a month to be delivered with custom face, color, size, width and offset.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Model 3 uses 5x114.3. Model S uses 5x120

Ah, I see, I was kind of hoping I could do a hypermile variety on my model s by running a squared setup at 8.5 inch width, but it looks like they are only doing 9 inch on model s. I would think the weight of these would make a drastic improvement on range regardless of the lack of the aero cap available for model s... that being said, these wheel are so incredibly light that you probably would need the 9 inch for grip on performance model s