Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with recent service experience at Devon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wnuk

Jul 9, 2017
PA
Dropped my M3 there today to have some autopilot issues fixed. There were a ton of cars there for service (75-100 by my count) and they told me at least 10 day turnaround. Guess it worries me they are that backed up and may rush repairs to play catch-up. No loaner vehicle but they did put me in an Enterprise rental as I am 2.5 hours away. Uber credits were NOT going to cut it :D

Anyone with recent service experience there?

Although this is really late, I did not have a good experience there. The service manager did not want to address concerns I had regarding my new delivery having scratched rocker panels (one was loose), scratched side view mirror. I took it to Tesla Lancaster and they covered all issues under warranty and it is a much smaller and less busy center. They got me in within 3 days and I had my car back the same day. Generally a much more personable experience.

How did your experience go?

I've now used both Devon and Lancaster. I was told Lancaster is a "lite" facility and does not do all repairs. Not sure if that is true or not, just what a service tech told me.

Though Devon did fix my car it took 8 days because of backups. And somehow they scratched the rear quarter panel and parked the car under a tree which left it covered in sap. They paid for a detailing and made things right but these issues should not have happened in the first place. Tesla needs more service centers, one a bit further north than Devon, to handle the service issues in a more timely manor. I had an F150 of all things as a loaner for 8 days that cost over $900 plus the detailing on my car. Not very good or efficient on their end.

Document everything and watch out for yourself, don't expect Devon to ever be on your side. I got my first Model 3 in June of 2018, after they messed the first delivery up I finally returned to get it and started logging the issues. Each time it went in they had it for weeks at a time and it seemed to come back with more issues. The one time it was returned covered in bird poop and sap with dirt inside including distinct dirty footprints on the back floor mat even though none of the work was for inside the car. I always made sure they had a Tesla loaner and called them before going down to confirm, I wouldn't allow them to get away with anything else. I got tired of the long repair times so I started making them get the parts prior to me arriving since they were all confirmed by their own techs, they just lied. They claimed to have them, yet the car sat for over a week before their system (I'm assuming accidentally) sent an automatic notification that parts had been ordered. When I picked my car up I asked what other repairs they found and they admitted the parts had never been ordered despite waiting months for them to be in prior to dropping the car off. Another time the headliner was falling, mobile tech tried to repair it and confirmed it needed to be replaced. They claimed they had ordered the part and were replacing it, but by the time I got home it had fallen again. Only then did they admit they didn't fix it despite marking it as replaced on the paper work. The next time I dropped the car off (about 2 weeks later) for more repairs it was the first anniversary of picking up the car and I demanded to speak to the manager since they had refused to allow it. When I finally got to speak with him I questioned the quality of their service and why the car had been in so many times and taken so long to get repaired each time without actually being fixed, his response was "you chose to buy a car, that's part of owning a car". After that comment I filed a lemon case and after months of Tesla deliberating it was approved as a 100% buy back so they could keep it off their official records.

I ordered a new Model 3 once the buy back was approved, they wouldn't give an estimate on the timing of when they would finalize the purchase and transfer the car, but also wouldn't do anything to assist with purchasing a new one. I was on my own to try and align the two up. Devon seemed to work against because as I got paired for a car it had to be released when they weren't ready to buy back the old one. The silos refused to talk or coordinate, eventually I asked the sales side to check for updates and get a sense of when it could be, they were told it would be a week or two so they released the car. The next day Devon called demanding the car be dropped off immediately. I refused until they got a new car on the lot. Eventually a new car came in and I scheduled to drop the old and pick up the new. The manager that I had confronted was tasked by Fremont to manage the buy back, instead he called in sick that day to avoid it. I think he may be gone now thankfully.

For my second car I relied exclusively on mobile service for the few issues that came up and it was vastly better. Better communication, actual results, and follow up with any concerns. Unfortunately after 3.5 months of ownership someone backed into the car damaging the bumper, headlight, fender, and hood. I worked with Lancaster and they were incredible. They put together a quote for replacing all the parts (hood, bumper, fender, and more) and were even willing to have all known and possible parts ordered in advance so that I could drive to them, get it all repaired, and drive it back home in the same day. My insurance refused to authorize the replacement parts so for about $300 less they forced me to go to the only Tesla certified body shop near by. I never got to experience Lancaster's work, but their service certainly won me over, especially compared to Devon. Unfortunately the body shop wasn't anywhere near as good. They caused an additional $26k in cosmetic damage and the insurance totaled the car in September.

I ordered a new Model 3 in October when the 2021's became available. It was to be delivered in Devon in December so I confirmed with them that the car was good. The morning of I once again called to confirm the car was inspected and ready to go, they claimed it was. I arrived and the car hadn't even started to be processed so I had to wait over an hour to get access to it. Then when I inspected it I found it was covered in damage. I refused to take delivery of it since it some how looked worse than the car that had just been totaled. That led to another classic Devon line "so you don't want to buy a Tesla?". Devon really does have a huge ego and you need to watch out for yourself. It's been 2 months since that failed delivery and 4 since I ordered and still waiting on a car. When ever I do get it delivered, that will be the last time Devon gets to touch it.

• Informative
Reactions: EVris and iSpine