Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP and FSD stack merge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface by saying that I’m well aware that this thread will be entirely speculation, unless someone with ”Insider Info” decides to get fired for some reason.

The question is: do people expect to see the AP stack and the FSD stack merge? Right now they are entirely separate, but it makes exceedingly little sense to maintain two entirely separate systems to do, ostensibly, the same thing. From a software-engineering-person-hours perspective, i cannot see a good reason not to merge these features in the future, but that doesn’t mean that they will do that, just that they probably should.

So what do people expect? I’m not looking for a timeline here, obviously that would be pure vapor, but now that we’re seeing v12, and the theoretical exit from “beta” coming, is it now something that we could envision on the table?

I expect the two stacks to merge at some point. But I think right now, Tesla is focused on just getting FSD beta done right. Once that is done, I think they will merge the two.
That was sort of what spurred the question. I know that it’s all hype, but the talk that v12 is the version to “exit beta” got me thinking about the future once they’re out of their initial push to get it out of beta.

That was sort of what spurred the question. I know that it’s all hype, but the talk that v12 is the version to “exit beta” got me thinking about the future once they’re out of their initial push to get it out of beta.
I also expect a merge between highway and city. But given the likelihood of FSD being available for other brands, and perhaps even extending to Optimus, I believe there will be a "family" of FSDs with offerings for cars, trucks, tractors, GP bots, medical bots, accounting bots, customer service bots, etc. It's really exciting to see where and how far this disruption is going.