Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP + FSD Subscription Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually tweeted this to Elon on Friday. But (unsurprisingly) haven’t seen a response.
I think it’s a beautiful idea, one that would fit a ton of people.

Offer monthly use options.

It would probably be a bit of a logistical issue, from a customer support stand point. And would likely take some income off the table for Tesla. But they could incentivize people to buy the full application, by making the monthly use scenarios set by default to auto renew, unless you opt out, and be pretty steep compared to just owning it.

Personally, I dont like the pay as you go model. I'm a 'buy outright' type of person. It seems all software companies are moving to this model and I dont like it. I used to be able to buy MS Office through my company for $10 in the home use program. Now the same 'discounted' program is something like $50/year. I bought a copy of adobe lightroom outright for ~ $200. The current version is 'cloud based' and $140/year or something like that. In the long run you'll pay more (good for Tesla), but I prefer to pay up front if I can afford it....

Plus if they did go to this model, given the pricing of EAP/AP they would likely need to charge more than $100/month if people have the option of 'opting in and out' when they wanted to. Plus then the lose all incentive for someone to buy at time of purchase since they can 'try' it for a month for $100 and possibly never pony up another dime.

Obviously, I'm speaking from my use case which is I already have EAP and think it was worth the purchase price. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Personally, I dont like the pay as you go model. I'm a 'buy outright' type of person. It seems all software companies are moving to this model and I dont like it. I used to be able to buy MS Office through my company for $10 in the home use program. Now the same 'discounted' program is something like $50/year. I bought a copy of adobe lightroom outright for ~ $200. The current version is 'cloud based' and $140/year or something like that. In the long run you'll pay more (good for Tesla), but I prefer to pay up front if I can afford it....

Plus if they did go to this model, given the pricing of EAP/AP they would likely need to charge more than $100/month if people have the option of 'opting in and out' when they wanted to. Plus then the lose all incentive for someone to buy at time of purchase since they can 'try' it for a month for $100 and possibly never pony up another dime.

Obviously, I'm speaking from my use case which is I already have EAP and think it was worth the purchase price. Different strokes for different folks.

You know why all the software companies move to that subscription model. It shows really good on the balance sheet, there is a constant month to month income. For Tesla, they could have two model, Perpetual (paid in full) and subscription model. For your use case, you just pay a lump sum and you have it. For others that don't need that all the time and are not willing, able to buy it outright, they can pay a monthly fee to have that, while they are at that, if the hardware is not compatible, they would need to upgrade. Hack, Tesla can even do something like what the mobile phone companies are doing. You get a reduce hardware fee if you agree to sign up for X months.

Tesla can do that once they reach a critical mass, and I don't think they are that far off after this year. It's a minimum work for Tesla, the order system will take care of that automatically.