Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP problems, bad weather condition metric needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me explain the history of the AP problems of our Model X (only the milestones).

June 2019
In June I had a total freeze of the AP (AP2) board (non fused version) which resulted in a map (Media Screen)/ GPS freeze also. After I managed to get it working (reset), because the SeC doesn't respond to my calls for help (eMail) after a perfect pre diagnostic from international support via Tel/ remote (thanks guys). After inspection by the SeC (remote): No error condition, no sign of fault in the logs. No need to visit the SeC. Come back if the error occurs again. No problem, AP is only a safety device (confused)
https://emobilitylogbook.wordpress.com/2019/06/20/malfunction-autopilot-please-hold-the-line/

Juy 2019
Our Model X started to drive like drunken, going left/ right in the lane that you get a feel of sea thickness. Calling the hotline I realized that Tesla cut the support hotline on late hours/ weekend (cost savings). Visiting the SeC they reset the AP board and calibrated the sensors.
New experience: Autopilot Tesla drives like drunken/ Autopilot malfunction

September 2019
On the way back from the eMobility Meet up in Horb/ black forrest I was spammed with AP warnings the whole way home. Again visit in the SeC. Looks like they changed the harness to the left rear facing camera and forget something (inner fender) to mount proper (see October 2019)

October 2019
On the way to Sylt we had some nice full emergency brakings on Autopilot (I call it Point of breakings), which I think to be related on a bad Maps architecture of Tesla (driving path vs. Google map infos vs. Open Streem Maps infos, wrong/ no layers). Looks like the AP mixes up speedlimits of crossing lanes or entry/ exit of/ to the highway. Not funny when the car makes by own a full emergency braking from 150 km/h to 80 km/h.
Phantom breaking, Point of Breaking (PoB)
On the way back we had an Air suspension error and a rubbing noise on the tire at the second Supercharger on the way back home. The fender at the left front tire got loose and was sitting on the wheel (the cause of the air suspension error).
Again air suspension error, root cause found
Also we had a lot of AP error messages resulting in the inability to change lane in some occasions.
Again visit at the SeC. I explained the story of the Point of breakings (in hope that they open a ticket for the engineering to this flaw), than they analyzed the error logs regarding the AP errors. I was told that this "error messages" are misleading and that these are "notices" to the user. We had a discussion on homologation/ UN ECE standards, safety state, errors, feature limitations and a notice (not a safety malfunction). The definition of Tesla is different in this case. The guys at the local SeC doesn't like to accept that the number of "notices" are special.

December 2019
The week in front of Christmas was the final showdown with the local SeC. I had a planned schedule (fixes on the replaced driver seat (an other funny story (wrong leather/ color (other seat revision), crinkles in the new seat)) where I added new AP error messages/ notes which dramatically raised with fw 2019.40.2.1
Example:
I handed over several time stamps of the blocked camera message. After getting back the car I was told:
If I like to get analyzed "error conditions" which are in the proper working condition (no rain, no fog, no deep sun) they're willing to do this if I get a signed guarantee to take over labor costs if they find no signs of errors. This was the point where I replied that I'm not satisfied and that our Model X has AP errors since June and I still get no fix. Inability to fix a problem with hand over costs to the customer (car still in warranty!) is not a serious way. I mad a clear note on what I think of my Tesla experience: Great car, best charging network and all this is destroyed by bad Service Center experience. I stated that this will be the end of the ownership and that I hand over the case to a lawyer.
Note: I got a bill/ work protocol after the visit not containing the AP analyzing which I rejected with note. Got no new one up to now. Not mentioned for reason by the SeC?
So I discussed the case with the leasing company, the legal protection insurance company and get a good lawyer contact (specialized this matter and well known in the Bern area). To be in good situation for this fight I need more evidence to show the problem. I just started to make some test runs with a GoPro Hero 8. I need to replace the GoPro for better details/ view. What I like to show and document:
Occurrence and non occurrence of the error messages in similar conditions. After having this setup I conduct a test drive together with an other Model X (MCU1/ AP2, enhanced AP) which like other Teslas doesn't show this error messages/ notes.
The camera should record the error messages on the instrument cluster and the outside condition (front screen/ left mirror)
The story can end with 3 options:
- hand back of the Model X to Tesla because of inability to fix the problem
- change to an other Model X with comparable mileage/ condition/ configuration (options)
- or just fix the problems (at our Model X and maybe also the SeC)
The end/ hand back of our Tesla?

I'm located in Switzerland, my local Service Center is Bern.

To get to the end and my question:
As I found different behaviors on working and non-working condition and the state "bad weather condition detected" I ask for a metric/ description of what is bad weather condition? I understand that a heavy rain is not a condition where AP could see more than I with my eyes. I never had these problems before June in rainy conditions (non-heavy rain) or some slight fog with a good view of 150-200 m. No AP steering wheel symbol I only saw on very bad conditions before.