Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Sensors gone crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this before with AP? My rear sensors seem to be going nuts and lane changes are mostly inoperable.

The car does have full matte PPF applied, but the sensors have small cut outs and a small disc just on the painted portion. I'm not clear if the sensors in this video are even related to those? Before I start removing PPF I thought I'd try to tap the knowledge pool here first. Does this look like a PPF issue or other sensor malfunction/alignment/calibration etc?

That's weird, it looks like its picking up the lane markers. Does it always do this? How does it react on solid lined lanes?
I'd leave PPF removal for the very last option. I also have full PPF w/ holes cut at sensors, and I haven't seen anything like this. I'm guessing you've tried the usual reboot, etc.?

Thanks for the reply. That's a very interesting suggestion about the lane markers. Yes it generally always has this phantom detection when in AP mode recently. I never remember seeing it do this before the latest update. I did try removing just the PPF from the sensor disks. Since I have matte, my installer cut out around them and then placed matte disks just on the painted parts of the sensors. Unfortunately removing that did do anything, but it's easy enough to replace if I want to. I did a reboot as a last resort (probably should have tried that first). On the short drive home last night it was definitely better. It almost seems like a calibration issue, but I'm not sure if the ultrasonic sensors can be calibrated? Another possibility is that they may have shifted or tilted? We'll see how the next couple of days go, but I'm guessing it will be a service appointment.

I have clear PPF on mine, and no issues. Many miles of wonderful AP with little problem. I say 'little', because I still have issues with 'left-hand off-ramps'. AP tends to think I'm taking the exit, and start slowing down as I'm going past.

One thing I noted is this: Every update my X gets, the AP gets "wonky" (for lack of a better word) for a hundred miles or so. Almost like it is 're-calibrating' the sensors? Dunno... but it's been consistent with the last 2 updates.

Was yours updated recently?

Thanks for the reply. Yes it was updated very recently and wonky is great way to describe it. Perhaps it just needs some more mileage but those rear sensors are definitely going crazy. I'll give it a few hundred before I schedule the service call.

Reactions: Brian's ReX