Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP3 Computer to be in production cars in ~ 6 months from now. Free for FSD owners.

Model 3 Owners - What's your FSD Status?

• Purchased FSD with the vehicle.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Will be purchasing FSD now given the update.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Still on sidelines and will consider FSD when it does more.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Didn't buy any software and don't intend to.

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Cost is estimated for $5,000 for those who did not buy FSD.

I wonder if current computer can deliver completely on promised EAP functionality. There will be pissed off people otherwise for sure.

upload_2018-10-16_9-6-5.png

• Love
Reactions: C141medic
What EAP features are currently outstanding for AP2? Summon, TACC, autosteer, lane change, on/off ramp are all being implemented (to a greater or lesser degree) currently.

What's missing is drive on navigation as long as the car is on a divided highway.

Website description implies the job is done once it takes the exit for a local road.

Tesla won't have to retrofit non paying cars if AP2/AP2.5 hardware can do the above without AP3.

Sounds like current m3 has the sensors and camera needed (AP 2.0/2.5) and all the $5k is, is for hardware wise, getting AP3 computer for FSD?

5k is a lot of money for a computer upgrade and software. I'll wait till the kinks are all worked out before putting down 5k.

Like others, I hope EAP feature will be complete first.

Question, i got an Aug 2018 build, is that AP 2.5?

It sounded like the hardware upgrade would be offered to anyone who purchased FSD before or after the AP3 computer hardware was announced. So, if you paid $3k for FSD at purchase, you get upgraded at no additional costs, but even if you didn't, you'll get the hardware upgrade when you purchase the $5k FSD upgrade after the fact.

Certainly doesn't sound like there's any reason to run out and buy FSD now, personally I intend to wait until features are released and evaluate if it's worth adding and getting the hardware.

Reactions: mongo
~6 months before it is in all new production cars.
Definitely!
No change to sensors.
Of course not! Btw that trick you pulled last fall with hw2.5 was just for show, right?
(Those early adopters with rccc cameras and bosch mrrevo14 radars have probably sold by now anyway.)
This is simple replacement of the Autopilot computer.
And probably extremely quick too! The number of ppl that have bought FSD over a period of 2.5 years must be totally insignificant.
Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving.
tumblr_inline_mn98uezlnT1qz4rgp.gif

It sounded like the hardware upgrade would be offered to anyone who purchased FSD before or after the AP3 computer hardware was announced. So, if you paid $3k for FSD at purchase, you get upgraded at no additional costs, but even if you didn't, you'll get the hardware upgrade when you purchase the $5k FSD upgrade after the fact.

Certainly doesn't sound like there's any reason to run out and buy FSD now, personally I intend to wait until features are released and evaluate if it's worth adding and getting the hardware.

I agree. But the one concern I have with continuing to wait is potential future increases in price to upgrade to FSD. The $3K was locked in. The $5K is the current upgrade cost. But Tesla has been known to increase price of options based on cost and/or demand. I can easily see a situation where 1-2 generations down the line, the hardware upgrade cost plus demand for FSD is great enough that Tesla charges a lot more than $5K.

Having said that, I'm still not planning to upgrade to FSD at this time.

I agree. But the one concern I have with continuing to wait is potential future increases in price to upgrade to FSD. The $3K was locked in. The $5K is the current upgrade cost. But Tesla has been known to increase price of options based on cost and/or demand. I can easily see a situation where 1-2 generations down the line, the hardware upgrade cost plus demand for FSD is great enough that Tesla charges a lot more than $5K.

Having said that, I'm still not planning to upgrade to FSD at this time.
I agree, but I've come to accept the fact that I may never see any viable FSD options before I'm due to upgrade my car anyway. If they introduce anything worthwhile I'll probably make the purchase, but not until I see something worth paying for.

So is Tesla not honoring the $4K original price for existing owners who didn’t buy the package thinking that they could later upgrade over-the-air for $4,000?

$4k is still valid (vehicle purchased before 06/25/2018), but is a back end adjustment:
We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.
Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW