Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apologies for another tire thread, but ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've spent several hours on this site reading tire reviews - very helpful and informative, but I think I'm more uncertain than ever.

I have a '21 MYLR, 19" Geminis, with the original Continentals (~37,000 mi. to date). I'd like to improve the ride handling and noise, and maintain decent range/efficiency. Performance and handling are not big priorities (although I hope I wouldn't have to give away too much in those areas compared to the OEM Contis). I live in central Texas where cold and snow are things we read about in strange and distant lands. Either summer or all-season tires would be fine.

After wading through many forum posts I’m leaning towards the Hankook Ion EVO AS SUV, which gets high marks for ride, noise, and efficiency. I'm also considering Pirellis, but their naming system is super confusing - it looks like the Scorpion Zero AS Plus 3 would fit the bill, but Discount Tire lists a Scorpion Zero AS Plus 3 NCS Elect - which seems to be the same tire, but I can't tell for sure. (Also, Scorpion series might be overkill for the Y?) The P7 AS Plus 3 gets some good reviews as well, and is a bit cheaper.

Thoughts on these tires? Or others that you recommend more for my target?

I'm in the same boat but my OEM contis are lasting only 25K miles. I'm leaning toward the Hankooks mainly on the reviews on this forum. Discount Tires isn't high on the Hankooks but it may be related to their relationship with Hankook versus Michelin. The latest reviews posted by a tire shop (Tire Rack?) showed some issues with wet performance but otherwise the review was positive. There doesn't seem to be one best tire, which the review pointed out as tradeoffs must be made. I definitely don't want a summer tire as the mileage guarantees look low. All season seems to be a good compromise.

I definitely don't want a summer tire as the mileage guarantees look low.
I don't think it's as cut and dried as you make out. All season tyres maintain elasticity in cold so they need to be a little bit soft.

Summer tyres are all over the map. You may have struck more sporty versions as that's what Teslas tend to fit. Sporty tyres tend to be well soft and sticky being optimized to high speed grip not milage.

It is a mystery to me what other factors are at play that make some really grippy all season tyres also do big milage. Yet you wouldn't run around at 100mph on them.

So I wouldn't discount 3 season rated tyres in your search if your climate supports that.

I don't think it's as cut and dried as you make out. All season tyres maintain elasticity in cold so they need to be a little bit soft.

Summer tyres are all over the map. You may have struck more sporty versions as that's what Teslas tend to fit. Sporty tyres tend to be well soft and sticky being optimized to high speed grip not milage.

It is a mystery to me what other factors are at play that make some really grippy all season tyres also do big milage. Yet you wouldn't run around at 100mph on them.

So I wouldn't discount 3 season rated tyres in your search if your climate supports that.
Thanks for this information. I was specifically looking at summer tires from Michelin (PS4) and Pirelli. Both seemed to have 20K mile warranties. But their specs are amazing if you're into high speed performance. We get snow and ice here occasionally but nothing too special. But we also get low temps which seem to affect summer tires (soft rubber). So the safe bet is an all season tire. There are so many choices I think a lot of us are in information overload thinking there is only one best choice when there are probably many.