Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App can't wake up Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The month old Model 3 has been sitting in the car transporter yard for 10 days. The app woke up the 3 each time for 3 or 4 days but now does not communicate.. I have contacted the transporter company and the T3 is still in their yard.

Does the T3 go into deep sleep or something after a few days?

The month old Model 3 has been sitting in the car transporter yard for 10 days. The app woke up the 3 each time for 3 or 4 days but now does not communicate.. I have contacted the transporter company and the T3 is still in their yard.

Does the T3 go into deep sleep or something after a few days?
How do I check the whereabouts of my 3 in transit. I have a VIN. Thanks in advance.

Sorry. Total newbie here. I haven't even seen mine yet. My son went through the purchase on my behalf as I am too old for a hire purchase. He lives 5000klms away so I am having the 3 transported. When I lost contact I though it might be on the way here and out of cell range. But the transport company assures me it is still in the yard waiting for a berth on a cross country transported.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Thanks Jeff. I’ve got the app. It has my current Tesla on it. I can’t find a way to add my new car, I have a VIN, to the app. Any suggestions?

You dont. Tesla will add it to your account. They normally dont add it till right before (or during) delivery, since they dont want people honking the horn, etc.

Based on what this OP states, they already own the car and are awaiting transport to their location, which is different from what you are asking. @hcdavis3 you just have to wait until the day of delivery, it will show up either shortly before, or shortly after you sign the papers and the local delivery center pushes the button to add it to your account.

Back to the OP. Tesla's do go into a low power mode when their battery gets low. if I could make one recommendation to you it would be to STOP trying to conact the car through the app. Every time you "wake the car up" you increase the amount of energy lost, and if its in a low power mode (possible) because of low main battery, you do not want to do anything that would draw extra power for no reason... and "checking on the car" qualifies as no reason in this case.

I would contact the transport company and tell them you are concerned about the main battery being low, and ask them if they could plug it in to re charge it.

Reactions: hcdavis3
You dont. Tesla will add it to your account. They normally dont add it till right before (or during) delivery, since they dont want people honking the horn, etc.

Based on what this OP states, they already own the car and are awaiting transport to their location, which is different from what you are asking. @hcdavis3 you just have to wait until the day of delivery, it will show up either shortly before, or shortly after you sign the papers and the local delivery center pushes the button to add it to your account.

Back to the OP. Tesla's do go into a low power mode when their battery gets low. if I could make one recommendation to you it would be to STOP trying to conact the car through the app. Every time you "wake the car up" you increase the amount of energy lost, and if its in a low power mode (possible) because of low main battery, you do not want to do anything that would draw extra power for no reason... and "checking on the car" qualifies as no reason in this case.

I would contact the transport company and tell them you are concerned about the main battery being low, and ask them if they could plug it in to re charge it.
Thanks JJ

jj, can you help me with the process of removing my current car from the app and adding the new car when I take delivery? Thanks in advance.

jj, can you help me with the process of removing my current car from the app and adding the new car when I take delivery? Thanks in advance.

I havent gone through the process personally, but it appears to be very simple. when you trade in your old car and take possession of the new one, you should be able to log into your tesla account on a computer (I am a fan of using a real computer for these kind of things rather than a tablet / phone, because its easier to ensure you are getting the "computer" version of the website vs the "phone optimized" version).

Once you log into your tesla account, find the car you want to REMOVE (you will likely see both cars at that point), and select MANAGE on it.

There is a link there that says "sold car to third party? Remove access". You could go there and follow whatever workflow is there ( I am not going to click the link as I dont want to remove my car).

Of course, if you are trading into tesla itself, you shouldnt have to worry about that... they should do it for you so you shouldnt have to do anything except setup your phone as key on the new car, and stuff like that.

I havent gone through the process personally, but it appears to be very simple. when you trade in your old car and take possession of the new one, you should be able to log into your tesla account on a computer (I am a fan of using a real computer for these kind of things rather than a tablet / phone, because its easier to ensure you are getting the "computer" version of the website vs the "phone optimized" version).

Once you log into your tesla account, find the car you want to REMOVE (you will likely see both cars at that point), and select MANAGE on it.

There is a link there that says "sold car to third party? Remove access". You could go there and follow whatever workflow is there ( I am not going to click the link as I dont want to remove my car).

Of course, if you are trading into tesla itself, you shouldnt have to worry about that... they should do it for you so you shouldnt have to do anything except setup your phone as key on the new car, and stuff like that.
Thanks a million jj. So psyched to get my new car. I’m gonna buy the acceleration boost for 2K. I’ve watched several videos of AWD model 3s with and without the boost. The boosted cars got 3.7 0 to 60 times with a Dragy on board. Wow that’s almost as fast as a performance car.

Also thanks JJ. I will refrain from further attempts at contact:). I did notice that the main battery was at 64% so I considered that not to be the issue..

Also thanks JJ. I will refrain from further attempts at contact:). I did notice that the main battery was at 64% so I considered that not to be the issue..

hmm.. well 64% is not nearly low enough to make it go into a low power mode, so there might be something else going on. For what its worth, I have seen various software updates also cause this sort of thing. My own Dec 2018 model 3 performance had a similar issue where once the car went fully to sleep, it wouldnt wake up from the app.

I took it to tesla a couple times and they kept telling me "the engineers are aware and it will be fixed in an update" A couple of updates came and went ,and no fix, but then one update later, it WAS fixed for me (issue of car not responding to app after going to sleep).

That was about a year ago now, though (may / june 2019) so its unlikely your car has that old of a firmware version... possible but unlikely.

I still thnk its best not to wake it up, though, since you dont know how long transport is going to take, and you want to avoid the car getting "to zero"... and I have my doubts about the transport company caring enough to plug it in every so often.

hmm.. well 64% is not nearly low enough to make it go into a low power mode, so there might be something else going on. For what its worth, I have seen various software updates also cause this sort of thing. My own Dec 2018 model 3 performance had a similar issue where once the car went fully to sleep, it wouldnt wake up from the app.

I took it to tesla a couple times and they kept telling me "the engineers are aware and it will be fixed in an update" A couple of updates came and went ,and no fix, but then one update later, it WAS fixed for me (issue of car not responding to app after going to sleep).

That was about a year ago now, though (may / june 2019) so its unlikely your car has that old of a firmware version... possible but unlikely.

I still thnk its best not to wake it up, though, since you dont know how long transport is going to take, and you want to avoid the car getting "to zero"... and I have my doubts about the transport company caring enough to plug it in every so often.

Thanks for your input JJ. They quote delivery to me between 15th and 19th June so I'll just hold the horses for a bit and try to think of something else for a change:).

Thanks for your input JJ. They quote delivery to me between 15th and 19th June so I'll just hold the horses for a bit and try to think of something else for a change:).

The excitement is real :D. Most of us think the car is worth it, too. Even if there is some disagreement about how effective tesla is as a company at certain things (and the genius / madness that is elon musk, lol), the model 3 is a pretty amazing car. I have had mine a year and half now, and am still excited to get into it and drive it.

I have had a LEAF for over 4 years and still volunteer a little too early to run (drive) errands that others shun:). They (old school petrol heads) do not understand our pleasure from the driving experience. They think it is all about refilling sites and times. Ah well, that (mainly generational) thinking will eventually die out or convert after an owning experience.

I have had a LEAF for over 4 years and still volunteer a little too early to run (drive) errands that others shun:). They (old school petrol heads) do not understand our pleasure from the driving experience. They think it is all about refilling sites and times. Ah well, that (mainly generational) thinking will eventually die out or convert after an owning experience.

You said earlier that you were "too old for a hire purchase" but you sound very young at heart to me :) I hope you enjoy it, it sounds like you will :)

Definitely young at heart (and body too:). I walked across Australia in 2007 (South to North www.jeffswalk.com) and again in 2011 (East to West). I drove the LEAF around Oz in 2016 (LE(Oz)AF | Australian Leaf Owners). All that after I "retired" (turned 65). I am still actively programming microprocessors for LED (and other) products. So, too old for some things but still kickin'. My next (current) life adventure is to tour Australia in the T3 (DMT3TID) establishing retail outlets for the LED (and other) products that I co-design.
DMT3TID.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin