Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Waking up Car When Opened Directly to Tesla Energy Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this today, and I don't think this is how it used to behave. If I open the app directly to the Tesla Energy screen (i.e. I was on the Tesla Energy screen the last time I used the app), it appears to wake the car. Previously I thought it would only wake the car if a swipe over to the car screen or if I opened the app and it was already on the car.

I first noticed when I swiped over to the car screen and it acted like the car was already awake - it immediately showed the current state of the car. I have Teslafi so I monitored the car sleep state while it was asleep. As I opened the app directly to the Tesla Energy screen and the car immediately woke up too.

Anyone else see this behavior or remember differently than I do about the past behavior?

Maybe something related to COS since the car and PW are now linked even though I currently have it disabled?

Another one of the problems with COS. Opening the PW on the App wakes any car with COS enabled. Plus waking the car up every hour anyway when solar is active even before PW is full.
Thanks. I have COS disabled and haven't used it because of all the issues that have been posted here. I assume I have to go further and delete the key generated during the pairing to stop this from happening or is this now a feature of the app?

Maybe something related to COS since the car and PW are now linked even though I currently have it disabled?

This could definitely be improved, but the way CoS monitoring seems to be implemented in the app is by using vehicle APIs to get the charge status, and that likely requires wake up. And disabling CoS doesn't completely remove the monitoring, e.g. I still see the "vehicle" graphs when I disable CoS. That's probably why you have to opt-out to disable the behavior.

This could definitely be improved, but the way CoS monitoring seems to be implemented in the app is by using vehicle APIs to get the charge status, and that likely requires wake up. And disabling CoS doesn't completely remove the monitoring, e.g. I still see the "vehicle" graphs when I disable CoS. That's probably why you have to opt-out to disable the behavior.
Thanks. I deleted the key CoS setup in the car and logged out and back into the app. The app is now asking me to setup CoS again, but loading the app to the Energy screen still wakes up the car.

I guess all the more reason to use your web app:)

Just sad that Charge HQ figured out how to use the Tesla API to poll the Gateway and Tesla itself didn't do it correctly. Tesla is waking the car up constantly for no reason, something they used to give third-party tools a hard time about. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Just sad that Charge HQ figured out how to use the Tesla API to poll the Gateway and Tesla itself didn't do it correctly. Tesla is waking the car up constantly for no reason, something they used to give third-party tools a hard time about. Makes no sense.

I can think of a few theoretical reasons this might be. This is all a thought exercise though, I have no insider knowledge.

* Tesla rushed the feature
* Tesla wanted to implement it in a way that would not generate a lot of API calls so they would incur less backend costs
* Tesla was trying to implement this in a resilient way that does not require the cloud. That way it would work even if the internet is out.

🤷‍♂️

Yes (another UK PowerWall owner here). Although it only wakes up my car and not my wife's, even though both are in my app.
I have been onto Tesla via service and they say this has always been the normal behaviour and the app should always wake all cars in app when it’s opened so it has all up to date data. Trying to explain this is new behaviour was like talking to a brick wall. He just didn’t understand where I was coming from. I have found that Tesla service don’t actually listen to you and think they know what they are talking about and we don’t. Very frustrating.

Yes, the Tesla app will now wake up your car when on the energy screen. This is deliberate (the app literally sends a "wake_up" request) and likely required to show the most up to date state of the car. The energy screen is now much more integrated with cars and chargers: it will show your Wall Connector, whether your car is in the garage, whether it's charging, Charge on Solar, etc. And it will only get more integrated with Powershare. I'm guessing Tesla believes this integrated user experience outweighs the downsides of waking up the car more often.

If you are really bothered by this, you could use a separate Tesla account with access to just the energy system; however that would also require a separate phone. Alternatively, you can use a third-party app that doesn't wake up your car (wink wink).

I doubt car wakeup is intentional here. When it first started, my car (MYLR) would be the one to wake up whenever I checked the app's energy screen. Now, however, it's my wife's car (M3LR) which wakes up. Mine stays asleep.

There's likely some pattern which I've yet to find. Perhaps whichever car was last used is woken up, or perhaps it's the last one to charge. Knowing Tesla though, it's probably random.

Here's a screenshot from TeslaMate for the last couple of days with cars parked up in the garage at home. My car is top. The wake-ups on the lower graph correspond to the times I adjusted standby reserve and export options for my Powerwall (our electric tariff encourages draining battery storage to the grid before the overnight off-peak time slot).

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 08.43.22.png

I'm going to raise a service request because I object to losing battery state of charge for a random car just because I use the PowerWall section of the app.

I doubt car wakeup is intentional here. When it first started, my car (MYLR) would be the one to wake up whenever I checked the app's energy screen. Now, however, it's my wife's car (M3LR) which wakes up. Mine stays asleep.

There's likely some pattern which I've yet to find. Perhaps whichever car was last used is woken up, or perhaps it's the last one to charge. Knowing Tesla though, it's probably random.

Here's a screenshot from TeslaMate for the last couple of days with cars parked up in the garage at home. My car is top. The wake-ups on the lower graph correspond to the times I adjusted standby reserve and export options for my Powerwall (our electric tariff encourages draining battery storage to the grid before the overnight off-peak time slot).

View attachment 1022817

I'm going to raise a service request because I object to losing battery state of charge for a random car just because I use the PowerWall section of the app.
I already have a ticket open with them with a mobile technician coming out next week.. not that it will help. Feel free to mention it's also happening to me. PM if you want to. Problem is the technicians either don't understand or think you don't understand. They also don't seem to listen to what you're saying.

I got a response from the PowerWall support people last week:

I had a quick look online, it seems something happening since years but I couldn't find any possible root cause from the app (Powerwall side).

Please check with vehicle support if they can detect any "issue" that might wake up the vehicle whenever the app opens up.

So not much help in the end. I suspect this will just end up in a game of pass the buck.