Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Carplay with a WIFI Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

has anyone tried this box to have Apple CarPlay on the screen of the Tesla model 3:

$224 for that?
@Vladimir Paran , how well is the T2C working for you? The first batch did not work at all in USA but units were sold anyhow. Now I see they have a special order page for North America & Japan. People I know in Europe said the cellular disconnects oftendue to poor quality LTE modem used (not many bands supported) which in turn forced the whole T2C to not work at all. The open source / non-commerical tesla-android project works fine if cellular connection is lost and doesn't even require the cellular connection for apple car play/android auto)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Vladimir Paran , how well is the T2C working for you? The first batch did not work at all in USA but units were sold anyhow. Now I see they have a special order page for North America & Japan. People I know in Europe said the cellular disconnects oftendue to poor quality LTE modem used (not many bands supported) which in turn forced the whole T2C to not work at all. The open source / non-commerical tesla-android project works fine if cellular connection is lost and doesn't even require the cellular connection for apple car play/android auto)
I am using the T2C in Singapore and it works well for me

Looks like US version is sold out on both the above websites. So, with this it is really plug and play, just need a SIM card compared to the Raspberry method that to me seems more complicated?
In my opinion, tesla-android (raspberry pi method) is not too complicated these days. The latest version is drastically easier to setup than a few versions prior. checkout the install instructions if you have not in a while, no more need to download any android developer tools. Also tesla-android doesn’t require a SIM card (an extra monthly expense) to work if you are just using CarPlay or android auto. I’m making a guide about my build which will have the parts I ordered and YouTube videos I watched that helped me. I think T2C currently requires having an active SIM card or it doesn’t work. Someone correct me if this is not correct information.

I have the T2C in the US and it is working now that new firmware updates have fixed some issues but have good/bad news about it...
Good:
Initially required SIM card so got pre-paid $10/m tablet account from H2O wireless (in hindsight would choose T Mobile) and had major issues
After two firmware updates, it now appears that the T2C works via the iPhone hotspot and does not require the SIM connection (but not sure if still requires a physical SIM in place - it had last I checked)
The interface is flawless with the browser taking up the place of the built in map/navigation
Quick and responsive
Steering wheel controls work well for starting/stopping music

Bad:
In AM, I have to manually switch the Tesla from home Wifi to the AutoLinkit wifi to get the system up and running. There is also a bit of a delay but usually works by the time I reverse out of my garage/driveway
The music integration is not ideal. I use Prologue for audiobooks and have found issues getting audiobooks to play in the CarPlay prologue app if the iPhone had been used for other audio in the interim. Half the time the 3-pane screen (map, music and other) will show the Apple Music app and not Prologue
Reconnection works fine 80% of the time but sometimes the iPhone will have not auto-connected via BT and then have to do that manually and then turn on the Tesla Wifi manually and connect it as well - too many button pushes
Maps not as good as the car does not send direction data and GPS seems worse as it had me one street over the other day when I was driving to a destination

TLDR: Tesla CarPlay works but I prefer the native interface with use of Prologue (audiobooks) on my Focus-Car Lock Screen for quick and easy startup

I purchased the US version of the T2C recently and can confirm it does work without a SIM. I never purchased a SIM and have it up and running. For the good, I agree with all you said. For the bad, I too have to manually switch the Tesla from home Wifi to the AutoLinkit. I experienced some strange initial connection issues yesterday but I believe it was my iPhone. After an iPhone reboot it was fine. Apple Music is fine for me. I don’t use audiobooks so cannot comment here. I experienced the iPhone BT not connecting too but I beleive this relates to Tesla and not the T2C but keeping an eye it. I’m experimenting with figuring out what the best startup experience is. Reconnection works fine after my iPhone reboot yesterday but I have a power switch and turn off when leaving and on when needed. I use Waze and it works well.

I’m also in the same boat. Got mine set up and working without a SIM, reconnection seems a bit dodgy sometimes. Most often it’s the iPhone having trouble connecting to the TSC unit via BlueTooth. I wish they had added an extra USB slot on the TSC so I could just use wired CarPlay.
But overall much better than not having it. Now that people have figured out this can work via a browser I suspect many people will start to buy this, and hopefully that will mean a continual improvement and competition.

Reactions: timeshifter
I’m also in the same boat. Got mine set up and working without a SIM, reconnection seems a bit dodgy sometimes. Most often it’s the iPhone having trouble connecting to the TSC unit via BlueTooth. I wish they had added an extra USB slot on the TSC so I could just use wired CarPlay.
Some of the other browser based methodologies support wired CarPlay. Message me if that feature is important enough for you to try a second method & I’ll fill you in on the details. I like wired CarPlay for longer distance trips.

In my opinion, tesla-android (raspberry pi method) is not too complicated these days. The latest version is drastically easier to setup than a few versions prior. checkout the install instructions if you have not in a while, no more need to download any android developer tools. Also tesla-android doesn’t require a SIM card (an extra monthly expense) to work if you are just using CarPlay or android auto. I’m making a guide about my build which will have the parts I ordered and YouTube videos I watched that helped me. I think T2C currently requires having an active SIM card or it doesn’t work. Someone correct me if this is not correct information.
No SIM card is required. You use the hot spot on your phone.

That is nice that there is no SIM card needed now. I think the advantage of using a SIM card is that your other Tesla functions, like FM radio and maybe Tesla NAV would still work, where as no SIM card they do not.

I wish they would come up with a way to automatically turn off/on when running the car. I probably would forgot to turn it off or on on my drives. 🙂

The T2C will turn off when the car does, once you get out and walk away. My driveway is very close to my bedroom and I cannot connect to the T2C via my iPhone. However, when charging begins, the car wakes and I can connect to the T2C via my iPhone. This does not impact my ability to manage anything from my iPhone via the Tesla app. I believe the Tesla-Android solution works the same but did not fully test this. Maybe others can comment.

As far as the SIM and radio I don’t think there is a relation. The problem here is when using either solution your Tesla output is set to Bluetooth and the car cannot play both Bluetooth and Radio simultaneously. If anyone knows a way to get this working please do tell. My previous BMW allowed this and it was great.

I use Waze via CarPlay and have not tested Tesla NAV behavior or all other aspects of the Tesla while using the T2C or Tesla-Android solutions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.