Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So fundamentally, I never exit a -C/-P at a loss. That's my #1 rule. (My other #1, as noted above, is "don't ever roll for debit"). I'll simply keep rolling until I exit through expiring worthless (or at least getting close to worthless and then closing out)--even if it takes weeks or months--by slowing burning down the negative value through progressively more favorable strikes. I certainly wouldn't suggest that's the most profitable approach as it can tie up capital that could otherwise be earning profit, but it keeps me in check on the selling side. Selling options is almost inherently a long term losing game if you don't apply some strict rules for selective entry/exit (to be fair, that's all trading, but especially with selling options), and so "never close for a loss" is my approach to never getting too deep and, ultimately, never losing.

Next, if you're trading in a Fidelity IRA (and probably many other IRA platforms?) you're pretty limited in rolling. You can't do splits and flips like you can with a regular Level 4 account. Much to my chagrin you can't even sell a call against existing shares to back into a covered call position in a Fidelity IRA (To be fair, I haven't confirmed with Fidelity whether or not that's user error on my part...).

But to answer your question, generally when it comes to selling options and especially selling naked/cash covered, you're should be doing so at a strike where your analysis says the price won't go. So for instance on a put, if your original strike was (as it should be...) below a technical support price/zone and the price blew out the bottom of that support and now you're ITM, you'd want to identify the next area of support (using whatever method works for you) for your roll-to strike price. If that next area is pretty close and especially if its strong and especially if the stock is in general strong both technically a fundamentally, you can take your chances by just rolling outa week in expiration and down in strike or however far you can go on credit, based on the logic that your analysis suggests there could be a fairly quick reversal in underlying back into your favor. But...if the signs aren't as positive, you'd want to roll farther down and, preferably, not really farther out (you want to get out of this, after all).

So if things look really shitty you could just flip the -P into a -C. This one's a pretty agressive move and I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a go-to as it explicitly means you're getting yourself out of an ITM -P and into an ITM -C, but its also the most basic: All you're doing is buying to close the -P and selling to open an equivalent value -C, again at a strike that makes sense, and again, for credit. This is mostly useful in a major tanking scenario where the whole market is going south, but can be used around earnings too if it looks like a post-earnings dump is going to keep swirling.

Just to be clear, when I say always roll for credit, I'm talking cents on the contracts (or dollars on the position). I usually try not to go below $10 just so I know any fees and commission will be covered, but at some point the credit your taking could be used for a more favorable strike/expiration. Depending on the option B/A spread, I'm usually collecting maybe tens of dollars on the position.

The other thing you can do is a split--all this means is you buy your -P to close (or -C, or spread, or whatever--none of these strategies are just about puts) and sell multiple -P's to open, 'splitting' the value of the original -P over that number of -P's for the specific purpose of having a lower strike--ostensibly one below a strong support--and, if possible, a closer expiration. This can be a bit of a rabbit hole too so you really need to be careful about it. It ties up more capital/margin and increases your downside risk. But, in moderation and in the right scenario it can be a reasonably safe and fast way to get out of a red position.

As previously noted, my go-to is a combination of the two--a split-flip. I use it all the time to pull out of ITM covered calls when I don't just want to close the position (RSUs especially), but I'll also do it with diagonals (which are sort of the all-option version of a covered call) and vertical spreads, though rarely do I go long on a vertical spread... Anyway, in that scenario I BTC my ITM -C and STO a -C with a higher strike, and then also STO a -P (and as previously noted, usually a credit spread over a naked -P), and occasionally--especially for WAY ITM -C's--multiple -P's. This works no problem in a standard four-leg orders as it ends up looking like:

BTC ITM -C
STO less ITM -C
STO OTM -P
BTO farther OTM +P

The reason I like this strategy is that it splits the current value of the ITM -C across more contracts, giving me a more favorable -C (which is the primary thing I'm trying to get out of). It also flips some of the red value to the other side of the equation, so price movement in the unfavorable direction isn't all bad--if price keeps going up on underlying those -P's are going to lose value quickly, if price moves down that makes my ITM -C less ITM, and, assuming I was smart with where I chose my -P strike, they'll still expire worthless. Bear in mind that split-flip example was solving for an ITM -C, but you can imagine it working for an ITM -P too.

Somewhat related, I'll often sell ATM or even ITM CCs during earnings week to capture the mega high Vega. For instance, on Monday two weeks ago I sold a just-ITM ROKU weekly where the time value was (I think) something like 7% of my capital on the trade. So that meant that if earnings hit I'd make 7% on my capital in 5 (or less) trading days, and if earnings tanked I'd have something like 8% (or maybe more?) downside protection. Earnings ended up pretty shitty, but I still ended up with something like $100 profit.

Yeah its good to understand that, especially in context of The Wheel, a -P is NOT the inverse of a covered call, so you absolutely shouldn't be using the same logic on choosing strike prices and expirations. The inverse of a CC is if you shorted 100 shares and then sold a -P.

Insert same soapbox as upthread about ∆ having little to do with selling options, but again I appreciate that you're using ∆ to try and find some way to normalize risk. I just can't stress enough for folks that maybe don't fully understand that nuance that selling options to realize ∆ is a terrible way to try and make money.

Since it sounds like you're using Fidelity, look into the "Probability Calculator" and "Profit/Loss Calculator" in the options tab. In slightly different ways both of them provide a much more accurate normalization you're looking for, in a way that incorporates the whole picture of the contract and not the very small piece of the pie that's ∆. Picking a -C/-P based on ∆ is like picking a Tesla over XYZ car because you like the frunk. Yeah, no question its cool to have a trunk. But if the reason you pick a Tesla is because of the frunk.... :cool:

Otherwise, monthly CCs really aren't a bad way to go. You get more Vega on the monthlies than the weeklies which is nice for profit, less maintenance than a weekly so that's always great, more room to run (you'd have a farther OTM strike with a monthly than a weekly), and more time to pull out of an ITM scenario if you're feeling YOLOey. And most importantly with a CC vs a naked/cash covered put, its really no big deal if you go ITM on a covered call. Being ITM basically just gives you downside protection until you can roll out of it. Obviously you get no income during that time, but each roll that moves the strike up you sort of 'unlock' more profit.

Yeah, its super sketchy to open a -C/-P position without an exit at some price target that makes sense. Basically, if you're actually letting an option expire worthless, odds are you're doing it wrong. A common value to close is $5, and some (many?) brokerages will actually waive fees when you're closing a contract that low since they don't want to deal with the hassle of potential assignment. And seriously, if you're at $5 contract value--especially if its not later in the day on Friday, its kind of insane to not close out.

But...IMHO a smarter, less agressive price target is the way to go--say, closing out when contract value is 25% of what you sold it for. A potentially more practical method to implement this is to roll the value that's left to your next preferred expiration (next week, next month, whatever). WIth pretty much any OTM contract, and especially weeklies, its a better deal to roll before close on Friday and sometimes even Thursday, unless you're sufficiently OTM on that contract and have the capital/margin to open up a new position. Depending on how close to zero your current contract value goes, its very plausible that you can find a suitable contract for next week that has better theta.

So the rub with selling options is that one can easily fall into the too-good-to-be-true trap. Its easy for a trader to be a little lax on finding proper entry and exit points based on the perceived logic of "I don't have to be right, I just have to be not wrong". Unfortunately, that approach significantly increases the already unfavorable odds that one cycle will wipe out (or more) the profit collected from many previous cycles. Make no mistake, selling options still requires diligence with an entry, exit, and stop.

For a case study on the unfavorable odds, had one sold a 1450 weekly put on Friday close they would have collected a little less than ~$1k in time value--that would be for a contract that's ~$200 OTM and has a ~10% chance of being ITM. Assuming that's average collection (it won't be, but first order, that's not a problem with the case study), over 9 cycles one makes $9k on $145k worth of capital. First blush, 6% in two months ain't so bad, right?. The issue is that on the 10th cycle that's statistically ITM, the underlying drops $200, and at that point you're just hoping you found the bottom of a pretty major drawdown. If the underlying goes down more than $10 from there (equivalent to the $1k you collected on the current contract), you're eating into the past two months of profits. If the underlying goes another $100--equivalent to the $9k you collected previously plus the $1k from the current contract--your last 2 months are a wash. If it goes farther, you're progressively more and more in the hole. And of course if that statistical ITM happens sooner in the two months, it all gets more red.

Similarly, a more agressive case using 1550 would have collected ~$2.1k on a ~25% probability ITM. Assuming 3 good weeks you're at ~$6.3k profit, but now the fourth week only needs a dip of $100 in underlying to go ITM, and a ~$184 drop in underlying to wash out the ~month's work.

The same math applies at any underlying price and any expiration timeframe, and the same math applies if you're allowing yourself to be put shares (and thus you're starting in the red). Its a tight line to walk to maintain profit with that kind of strategy, and the odds of staying on the right side of the line are SIGNIFICANTLY improved by having things like proper entry, exit, and stop targets.

Countering those case studies--and obviously a different strategy completely--for a comparison in profit, remember my "looks like we might see it drop down to high 1300's" from upthread? Had one bought an ATM call on the first drop down and back through $1400 on 7/24 (I'm using November for expiry as its a good rule of thumb to never buy calls/puts closer than ~3 months expiration), one would have laid out ~$25k in capital and would be sitting at ~$13-14k profit. In three weeks. (To be clear, that was before I made the statement). Had that same call been purchased the second time price dropped down and back out of the high 1300's, confirming that support, (that would have been on 8/10, so after I made the statement), one would have even more profit.

As it stands I bought calls a little too aggressively on that price target, risking a bigger drawdown in an attempt to beat the flag breakout. I bought near close of 7/31, which was around $1430 underlying--and I bought $1600 (Nov) calls to reduce my ∆ exposure a bit, so I'm "only" sitting at $9.4k/contract profit right now. Futures are looking good right now and while Asia-Pac is split, Shanghai is up like 2.3% (to be fair, TSLA seems to deviate from the market more than other stocks...but TSLA is increasingly heavy in China so seeing DJSH up can't be bad news), so there's a good chance I'll open to a nice jump in profit.

The point is that the level of effort is basically equivalent in the two strategies (I'm actively charting TSLA either way), the position I took basically waited for [what I deemed] a quality entry point, whereas the -P strategy relies on quantity over quantity to return results. And, since any kind of trading or investing is all about making money, it does seem to make sense to focus on quality of unbounded profit positions over quantity of bounded and limited profit positions...

You...are on another level. Thank you.

I thank the Simulation everyday for call sellers, especially the ones who think implied volatility is too high... or that the price of the options is too high... and most especially those who don't understand that the implied volatility is lower than the realized volatility of the stock itself.

Thank you Simulation.

I thank the Simulation everyday for call sellers, especially the ones who think implied volatility is too high... or that the price of the options is too high... and most especially those who don't understand that the implied volatility is lower than the realized volatility of the stock itself.

Thank you Simulation.

Do you know why implied volatility is so low right now? It seems weird

upload_2020-8-17_7-55-32-png.577350

Reactions: JusRelax
You...are on another level. Thank you.

Appreciated, and honestly most of what I've learned about options has been in the last 5 years...so not that much different a level. There are plenty of non-professionals on this forum let alone in the world of trading that are significantly more astute than I.

Without any sort of feigned humility, much of what I have to offer is informative (that is, concepts you'd come across through basic study) more than insightful (things I've learned from my own experience). I just use a lot of words so it sounds better...or at least more comprehensive. :p

Reactions: Mokuzai

Its actually still pretty high relative to pre-corona market action.

There's almost always a natural drop in volatility post earnings [for all stocks], as represented in the chart you posted. That spike after 20Q4 earnings is very much the anomaly. Even then you see volatility dropping after that initial spike...at least until corona took over.

I suspect your charting understates how "off" the market is, but essentially, the market is two-sided and the current prices reflect equilibrium between all the different viewpoints. If one "buys" 100 IV by going long options at those prices and realized vol slows down to 50, then you lose big... It's like the oil markets when oil is "high", the futures prices are lower because people expect that the price of oil goes down. People expect realized volatility to go down...

There is also a camp of people who have gotten rich off of Tesla stock who just keep selling Tesla calls because they've been programmed to think it's a good idea... that 70 IV is "high" because the stock moved at a 45-55 realized vol last year.

YTD 2020 thru 8/14/20
Realized Volatilities (how the stock has actually moved)

Daily Vol 95.6%
Weekly Vol 116.6% (measured on Wednesday closes)
Monthly Vol 127.8% (start of month closes)
Monthy Vol 132.1% (middle of month closes)

Why does weekly or monthly volatility matter? If you're not hedging everyday (which is hard anyways because of the raw dollar amount of the stock and the options), and you are long (not short) options, you are winning big time to buying options from options sellers.

If you are short options, irregardless of whether you are hedging everyday (best), or hedging weekly (worse), you are costing yourself serious money this year all else equal.

Last edited:

FWIW, my go-to when identifying volatility for a potential sold option is to compare current IV relative to HV TTM, not IV TTM. That approach is, admittedly, a little broken right now thanks to a combination of covid and the crazy price action on TSLA...but...still not completely off.

Put another way, by my math TSLA isn't at a great place for selling options right now, and its even represented in the screenshot as higher than it really is--current IV is basically at the low of the last earnings cycle (As represented in @juanmedina's screenshot), which is more likely to be a new (if not short term) normal.

upload_2020-8-17_10-56-50.png

Last edited:
Much to my chagrin you can't even sell a call against existing shares to back into a covered call position in a Fidelity IRA (To be fair, I haven't confirmed with Fidelity whether or not that's user error on my part...).

Bits and pieces here. For this particular item, I'm selling covered calls in my Fidelity Roth IRA with no difficulties as single leg transactions. This is even the account where I'm successfully executing roll transactions - a particularly important situation as I have very little cash in the account to execute a buy to close, and then separately a sell to open. Maybe I'm not understanding the issue you're encountering, and maybe I am and this observation will be helpful to you.

I'll simply keep rolling until I exit through expiring worthless (or at least getting close to worthless and then closing out)--even if it takes weeks or months--by slowing burning down the negative value through progressively more favorable strikes

I like this idea of continuing to roll with a target of never exiting a position at a loss, even if it takes awhile (weeks or months). As you say, it's a check on aggression, and keeps the emphasis on generating dividend / income (which is my personal focus as well). A few slow months is just fine in a larger context of generating more dividends from 5 months of trading than I'll earn from my paycheck this year (taxes are going to be exciting next year - first world problems).

Which brings me to a question (directed to anybody that has an insight / opinion). When is the 'ideal' time to roll a position?

My own observations:
1) Here, I'm talking about rolls being performed for the purpose of avoiding a loss on the overall position. The roll itself realizes a loss on the closing leg, while generating a larger income on the opening leg than the loss on the closing leg (or at least, that's what I've seen).

2) I've had a deeply ITM position where I couldn't find a reasonable roll target. I could delay the reckoning, but the move in the strike price for a lot of time to expiration was so small, it would leave me still deeply ITM. In that case, I had a $35 profit on the overall position locked in, so I didn't work very hard at changing it.

The larger observation though is that it seems like the further ITM you go, the less effective it is to roll.

3) Therefore, I think that the ideal time (or at least the time when rolling will still work, and ideally work well), is when the option is in the neighborhood of ATM. I think that, more particularly, I'll be looking to roll when slightly ITM. The thinking here is that as long as I'm OTM, then the option is on a glide path to expiring worthless, so waiting for ITM is a way of giving the position a chance to regress and eventually go OTM / expire worthless (which really means closing it early for a profit - I don't think I've ever allowed a position to expire worthless rather than close it for $0.10 or so.

What I don't want to do is wait for a position to go deeply ITM before 'rescuing' it with a roll - deep enough ITM is how I lose the position and need to take assignment (or make some other more drastic trade to recover).

Any observations about when to roll, and maybe mental triggers that it's time to roll are appreciated.

I'm asking now because I've got some 2200 / 2300 covered calls written for the September monthly. I'm still quite comfortable with those strikes today, but the share price is moving fast and far enough, that I also no longer think that they're a slam dunk. That's ok if that is how they work out, but I'm trying to do some planning ahead of time so that if I do need to roll, then I've got at least the shape of a plan in place that is ready to go.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue you're encountering, and maybe I am and this observation will be helpful to you.

Its good to know what you have enabled. In my case I have shares of XYZ stock. I can't simply sell a call against those shares, effectively creating a covered call. A buddy says he can so I think its some error on my part.

When is the 'ideal' time to roll a position?

I've got some 2200 / 2300 covered calls written for the September monthly.

From a covered call perspective, I'll look to roll up if the underlying price breaks above a price of significance, whether that's some support price/zone, a trend line (trendiness are really just support at an angle, but that's another topic...), 50/200 moving average, market cap, etc. Basically, whatever you're using to identify price targets. The issue we're looking at now is that price is ATH-ing, so its much harder to find a price target. Best bet is to aggregate some analyst targets...or just wait and see what happens. $2200 is still pretty far away

But to answer the question a different way, Thursday. I find it easier to not try and stay out in front of the money too much on a CC, so unless price really gets crazy, I'll just wait until Thursday. And then just keep rolling up and out. Note that I have zero problem being ITM on a CC, and Thursday is pretty safe for not being called.

Its almost always possible to roll out a week for a small amount of credit, so that's the bare minimum wait-and-see-if-it-reverses game. If the shares are really intended to be held for a while, you can just find the first expiration week where you can roll up one strike. Even if that expiration far away, you don't really care. All the -Cs really mean to you at that point is you have a ton of downside protection. :p

On the other side, you should also roll when you've reached your profit target on the -C--when you realize 90% (or whatever you're comfortable with) of the original value.

What I don't want to do is wait for a position to go deeply ITM before 'rescuing' it with a roll - deep enough ITM is how I lose the position and need to take assignment (or make some other more drastic trade to recover

IMHO there's never a reason to take assignment on shares you plan on owning anyway.

FTR, I'm sitting on two TSLA covered calls for Jan with strike prices of $915. :eek: After the stock split and battery day I'll re-evaluate price targets, but in the mean time I'm not worried about it. I'll probably pick up a bunch more shares (at post split prices) and then split the value of my two current -Cs over more -Cs. Odds are the result is that I'll still be ITM, but they'll be much less ITM so the rolling game will be a little easier (and I'll still have some decent downside protection).

I mean, yeah, I'd prefer to not be in this situation, but I'm long TSLA on those shares so its all good. At some point there will be a stupid tweet or a battery fire or an economic recession, and price will come back to a place where I can be a little more productive with rolling. Until then, I'll roll up $5-$10 at a time, even if its to an expiration weeks away.

Its good to know what you have enabled. In my case I have shares of XYZ stock. I can't simply sell a call against those shares, effectively creating a covered call. A buddy says he can so I think its some error on my part.

I found this in Account Settings on my IRA (ROTH actually, but I think it's the same with IRA's):
Purchase of calls/puts (equity and index) and purchase of straddles/combinations (equity and index).

This probably explains why I can't do a Roll transaction in my brokerage account (seriously) - it's "Spreads and covered put writing.". In the latter case, it also encompasses covered calls, but it doesn't allow for roll transactions. Going to go figure that out now :)

In neither case does Fidelity tell me what option authorization level that corresponds to.

Reactions: bxr140
I found this in Account Settings on my IRA (ROTH actually, but I think it's the same with IRA's):
Purchase of calls/puts (equity and index) and purchase of straddles/combinations (equity and index).

This probably explains why I can't do a Roll transaction in my brokerage account (seriously) - it's "Spreads and covered put writing.". In the latter case, it also encompasses covered calls, but it doesn't allow for roll transactions. Going to go figure that out now :)

In neither case does Fidelity tell me what option authorization level that corresponds to.

Well, I found the info on Fidelity's site that translates this into option levels.

The IRA is at level 2 (Purchase of calls/puts and purchase of straddles/combinations).

The brokerage is at level 3, which is supposed to include level 1/2 stuff. (spreads and covered put writing). Heck - I just realized that I haven't written any cash secured puts in the IRA - I've just been assuming that I had that ability. Maybe I don't.

Level 1 is writing covered calls.

Sounds like we both need to call Fidelity and figure out why these trade types aren't working for us!

Reactions: bxr140
I've been thinking a lot about the underlying dynamics within a roll transaction. I thought I'd write down what I've come up with and get feedback on this stuff - is it a good way to think about what's happening? Is there stuff I'm missing? Stuff I should add?

As a made up example that I'll develop: I sell a call and collect a $30 premium (woohoo!). But the shares move up and keep going up, and at some point I'm looking at an option that originally had a $30 premium that now has a $100 premium. If this is all the info we've got, then I have two choices from here. If I'm OTM, despite the $100 premium, then just waiting is probably a good course of action, as the share price could be flat or down from here, and eventually all OTM options become worthless. (Time value always goes to 0 on expiration day - that's part of our edge as option sellers).

If the option is ITM but close enough to the strike, then when we're close to expiration, I might be able to just close the position for a profit anyway (e.g. ITM by $5 with a $5 time premium - buy-to-close for $10 for a profit of $20)..

I've been in both of these situations over the last 5 months. My most memorable was an option I sold that promptly moved against me but stayed OTM. Three weeks later and the premium got worse and worse relative to my open - I think it was -300% in the middle of that time - and it was STILL a money loser on expiration day. Yet also still OTM. Over the course of expiration day, all of that time value melted away until I finally closed that option for pennies and a ~95% profit. The only day that option was profitable was the only day that counted - the last one.

Conclusion here - if you're in a position and you're ready to close or roll it... if it's profitable, then just close and take the profit. You can always sell the new position immediately if you like it that much (you're not backed into a corner in this case).

But, I'm here to talk about rolls. So on paper, I'm down $70 on that option sale (collect $30 premium, now owe $100 premium). We're getting close enough to expiration and I don't want to go further ITM, so I roll to a new strike and expiration and receive a net credit of $10. This comes from an option with a $110 premium. It has to be $110 premium because buying-to-close a $100 premium option and selling-to-open a new option with a net credit of $10, thus the sell-to-open is at $110.

At this point, I have realized a loss of $70 on the original position (sell at $30, buy at $100). I also have a new position with a premium of $110.

If this new position proceeds in a friendly fashion to OTM and eventually worthless at expiration, then I will eventually realize a $40 profit (the original $30 premium plus the $10 credit) after paying off the $70 loss on the first position. The tricky part is if I want to profit by 75% on the trade, then I need to wait for the option premium to drop to $10 ($110 - $70 loss = $40. 75% of $40 = $10). To earn 75%, I need to wait for the option to decay to ~9% (110 down to 10). So a 91% drop in option premium nets me a 75% profit.

I think that this is where we can roll options with a net premium on each roll, and then lose money on the overall position. If I instead close the option after it's decayed 75%, then I'd be closing at ~$27. That represents a gain of $73 or so against a loss of $70. The 75% premium decay has netted me $3, or about 1/13th of the $40 that was available to be earned. I closed too early relative to my profit target. I might have closed at exactly the right time to get out of a position I considered to be bad and still earn a little bit, but that gets into the specifics of the trade and the context.

With each roll, I care about the available credit from the position I'm leaving and the net credit from the position I'm entering.

Continuing with the example, I look up again later and see that my $110 premium option has decayed to $40 (yay - $70 profit in the second position offsets the $70 loss on the first position). But I'm getting close to expiration and the option is ITM. To roll this option and earn a $10 net credit, I'll be rolling to a new option with a $50 premium (the $40 to get out of the current position plus the $10 net credit). The good news is I've taken a pretty big step towards getting out of this position!

That $50 premium is now what I have available to earn. For a 75% profit target, I can close when the option decays to $12.50. And because my original loss has been offset by a equal gain, I don't have any accrued loss to 'pay off' before I can start earning.

All of this is relative to option premiums - not strikes. If you never take assignment, then the strikes don't matter beyond the comfort or discomfort they bring (I'm way more comfortable with the 2200 calls I've sold, than the 1650 sold calls I rolled out of).

What does all of this mean for roll strategy? I'm still figuring on that. For the moment, my strategy / priority is:
1) roll for a net credit. This might mean keeping the strike and going out. It might mean going out and up (call side - reverse for puts). It almost certainly won't mean staying at the current expiration (after all, I'm trying to buy time, and a better strike would be nice too).

It might mean moving out a week, but it might mean moving out a month or more. For me, I'll prefer moving out 1 monthly on the call side.

2) more of a preference really, but not always available. I would like to roll to a new strike that is OTM. As long as I can roll to an OTM strike, then I'm sort of 'keeping up' with the share price as it goes up.

3) And as @bxr140 has pointed out, there are lots of ways of extending a trade and avoiding assignment. Therefore, roll for the credit as #1 (non-negotiable), and if you have to choose between an ITM strike and a bigger credit, choose the higher strike. The best of all worlds of course is to roll to a higher strike while also earning a good premium. My limited experience with this is that I got a better roll when I was in the final week to expiration and I was rolling out a month instead of a week. In the instance I'm thinking of, I was still $50 OTM, but rolling out a month moved my strike from 1650 to 2200/2300 and also generated a net credit of $30 or $25.

Given a future instance of the same situation, I would do the planning for the roll so I've got an idea of the strike, credit, and expiration to roll too, but as I was OTM at the time I'll also wait it out and see if the 1650 expires worthless.

The primary thing I've identified for myself - any options that are candidates for assignment, I want to start gaming out available choices. Hopefully days or weeks in advance so that when I find myself in decision making mode for the roll, I've got some choices already identified (they don't need to be precise).

I think my strategy will be to wait to be ITM before rolling, and to roll while the position is not very deep ITM. Maybe at a .30 delta (I'm guessing - still making this part up). The rationale for waiting to be ITM is that as long as I'm OTM then the option is on a glide path to expiring worthless. And if I wait for a little bit into ITM then I give the share price a chance to move my way and the option to go back to OTM.

By rolling while a little bit ITM, I still have a lot of value and access to high value options to roll to, increasing the likelihood that I can roll to an OTM strike and collect a decent (maybe even large) credit. The mix of strike and credit is also something I'll be working out, though on the call side this seems to be pretty easy - a strike I really would be happy selling at, with as big of a credit as possible after that.

DISCLAIMER. I'm not a financial analyst, advisor, or anything more than an interested amateur. I'm talking about choices I'm making for myself in my financial context. I'm looking for input from others from their point of view and I hope this will be helpful for others. You're still responsible for making your own decisions and suffering the consequences (as am I).

On the downside, you can also consider stop losses, especially if you're willing to exit a bad position at a loss (and since we're all identifying acceptable loss and profit targets for all of our trades anyway, exiting a bad trade at a loss is no problem, right? Right? :p). Basically, just set a conditional stop loss on the contract ask at whatever your accepted risk for the trade is and, overnight gaps not withstanding, you're all good.

Then once you burn a sufficient amount off the contract value move the stop up to zero. Or if you're YOLOing it, enter the trade without a stop and HRH (hope real hard) you burn down enough from the off that you can set a NDM (never down money) stop loss. A good weekend of theta with no gap down will usually do the trick here.

Regardless, in Fidelity you won't be able to OCO this kind of stop loss with an exit at your profit target, but if you're ok manually cancelling the stop and then closing at your profit target its manageable. Tidbit here, unless I'm trading in REALLY liquid options (like, really just SPY and maybe QQQ) or maybe a particular strike/expiry contract that has a ton of volume and open interest, I'm much more comfortable setting stops and exits off contract B/As.

I decided to roll the 8/28 1675 puts (next week) to a higher strike, and same expiration. This was really two separate transactions (buy-to-close on the old position, and then sell-to-open on the new position; same end result, but not the roll trade ticket).

This huge move today hasn't created anything close to the price action I would expect or desire in a sold put. Specifically - over $130 share price move and maybe $4 move in my direction in the put. I am primarily putting this down to increasing IV on the option. That 'bad' price action on the 1675's is what got me looking at new / better alternatives.

I rolled up to the 1890 strike, realizing a 30% gain on the closing leg, and opening a much larger premium on the open leg. I normally target a 67% profit, but when I have a position I like better than the position I'm in, and especially when the position I'm in is profitable (a little or a lot), then goodbye current position, and hello new position (whatever the profit % - it's a target, not a requirement).

I figure the higher IV hurts me on the closing leg, but it's much smaller (~$13) than the new position, and thus the absolute overall impact on rising IV is good for me.

Meanwhile, I get to sell options in the $40 range (though 1 less option than before - the backing cash is getting to be a lot at these levels) at the higher IV.

And still expiring next week.

I've begun thinking about roll scenarios for the 2200 and 2300 calls I have sold out in September. By thinking about this ahead of time, I know that right now I have multiple roll scenarios that yield a good sized net credit as well as a $200 increase in the strike price. Still no rush to actually roll - just keeping track of available choices so if the need arises, then I've got a few scenarios gamed out.

@adiggs This sounds like a full time job... When you add up all the options and all the stock, are you up at least as much as the stock is this year?
@adiggs
Besides this question from @paydirt76 I was also wondering whether you looked at selling weeklies at 50% above the SP?
This Monday (08/24), I looked at the option prices for 08/28.
Although they seem to give return 08/28 $2550C was $7.15, i.e., 1.4% per week, the option prices right now might not be a good sample, given that there are some events upcoming soonish.
I was wondering at what return the weeklies tend to be priced at for strike 50% above the SP.

@adiggs
Besides this question from @paydirt76 I was also wondering whether you looked at selling weeklies at 50% above the SP?
This Monday (08/24), I looked at the option prices for 08/28.
Although they seem to give return 08/28 $2550C was $7.15, i.e., 1.4% per week, the option prices right now might not be a good sample, given that there are some events upcoming soonish.
I was wondering at what return the weeklies tend to be priced at for strike 50% above the SP.

I haven't looked specifically at options in terms of % of share price. I think that's another reasonable way to approach things, but I don't have any experience or details to back that up.

I do know that when I switched from trying to trade weekly calls (a few weeks back), my stress level around selling calls got a lot better. The specific option you mentioned (this week expiration, 2550 strike, $7.15 premium) certainly sounds pretty good to me. That's probably in the range I would sell calls in. But this observation is also made from a position where I won't be selling that option as I don't have backing available to sell that option, so this is theoretical for me (i.e. - I won't be backing up an opinion with any money :)).

You'll need to look at the option chain to see what the 50% higher option strikes are trading at. My guess is the premium will be pretty low. I.e - share price at 2200, the 3300 strike weekly option is probably a dollar or 3.

I also know that selling options, at least for me, isn't coming close to just buying shares and holding them. This is primarily a function (as best I can tell) of the fact that the shares are going somewhere (in this case, up up and away). That works ok for me, but I've got a particular set of circumstances in which this outcome is ok or even desirable for me. That primarily being that I already have enough shares, so I'm using cash to sell puts that would otherwise be collecting roughly nothing in interest, and those shares that are otherwise sitting there.

For anybody following along at home, whether lurking or participating in the thread, I encourage you to read the first page of the thread if you haven't already. There are critical assumptions laid out in detail there which I don't repeat in all of my posts. I do repeat some of those assumptions in some of my posts, but without those assumptions then yes - many of these trades represent a smaller return (or a dramatically smaller return) than simply holding shares in the current environment and it's easy to misunderstand what I personally trying to accomplish, and it's easy to think that I am choosing to lower my returns.

And yes, had I known that this would have happened (shares to the moon Alice, to the moon) back in March when I started selling options like this, then I would have instead simply purchased shares. But I didn't know it then, and I don't know now that this run is going to continue. I believe that it will, but that's not the same as knowing it, and I still have enough shares to capture as much of this run as I need to accomplish my financial goals (in fact, I think I've accomplished them in the last couple of months, and will be meeting with a financial planner / adviser today as the start of a detailed conversations about a retirement date).

For those following along, you might have noticed that I don't specifically articulate the size of the positions I've been taking. I'm not trying to hide that - it's just that I consider that information to be a) personal and b) irrelevant to the purpose of this thread, at least as I thought of it when I started it. That doesn't make it right or correct, just the way I see it.

The purpose, as I see it, is mutual education, about this trading approach. In that context, the education and experience conveyed isn't improved by knowing about position sizes (unless we're trading $100M portfolios - we might be moving the market at that size). We're each where we're at. One thing I have definitely learned by hanging around Tesla owners for the last 8 years is that for approximately all of us, there are others that are working with smaller portfolios and there are others working with larger portfolios. Knowing portfolio size or size of positions, again, doesn't improve or change the education (at least for me).

Reactions: SpaceAggie
This overall move upwards is certainly doing good things for the puts I've been selling.

I closed the 8/28 1890 strike puts for a ~90% profit this morning (received nearly $40 credit, closed for $4), and opened a new put position for Sep 4 at $33 and a .20 delta. I continue to use delta as a mechanism for normalizing the risk for positions over time, though I realize that it is imprecise.

I chose the 1900 strike specifically so that I land on a round strike after the split ($380) where I should find some reasonable level of volume.

I've also decided that I'm ok with selling puts over the implementation of the split. If the split turns into a big share catalyst, then these puts will quickly decay in value. Heck - I might get a chance to sell these Sep 4 puts (at a higher strike) for a second time; that's what happened with the 8/28 puts.

An update on the calls - the Sep monthly 2200 calls are getting closer ITM than I really wanted to see. I'm still thinking in terms of rolling to the Oct monthlies at a higher strike and a small credit if the shares approach a 2250 share price (somewhat ITM, to give the shares a chance to level out or go back down). My intent for now is to roll these calls as needed until at least a 3000 strike or they finally resolve for a profit, even if the resolution (closing the position) takes several rolls.

@adiggs This sounds like a full time job... When you add up all the options and all the stock, are you up at least as much as the stock is this year?

I will add my perspective. I have an account on IBKR and only use margin as collateral for selling puts. So comparing stock gains to how much I made by selling puts is not a fair comparison. I would never buy stocks on margin.

Reactions: adiggs and pz1975