Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob option trading questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the stock went from 1825 to 1800 on the day of exipry, your position goes from max profit to max loss.
Not advice:
There's nothing inherently wrong with that spread and has the pluses you call out. However, it doesn't return much in the short term. And in the situations where it does, other positions have better returns.

Alternatively, you can do a put spread for a credit and recieve premium now which the account needs to keep to cover the $2,500 at risk, but you can use some of that to buy other positions. Like 2 shares of TSLA which would gain an additional $1,800+ if the options expire OTM.
TSLA Put Spread calculator
Ok, i compared the put spread and the call spread on the calculator and on optionstrat .
1. The puts BOTH have much lower volume , lots of them have volume of 0 !
2. Profit seems to be 100% , vs 3300% on the call spread.
3. Lets add in the additional 1800 : still about 200 % vs 3300 %

What am i not seeing mongo ???

Peter

Ok, i compared the put spread and the call spread on the calculator and on optionstrat .
1. The puts BOTH have much lower volume , lots of them have volume of 0 !
2. Profit seems to be 100% , vs 3300% on the call spread.
3. Lets add in the additional 1800 : still about 200 % vs 3300 %

What am i not seeing mongo ???

Peter
1. Was just speaking to general position type, didn't check OI or Vol
2. Put spread pays out 2,135 on 2,500 at risk, $365 worst case loss, so ~6x return. The call return % varies greatly depending on the opening price.

SmartSelect_20220117-154101_Firefox.jpg

Ok, I am starting to get your point !

Now , how to compare these 2 "öptions" ????

Call Spread:
1. Investment : about -72 debit
2. Max return: about 2400
3. Prob. and BE are same
4. Volume : higher than Put Spread
5. Max loss: -72
6. ROI : about 33X

Put Spread:
1. Investment : about 2135 credit
2. Max return: about 2135
3. Prob. and BE are same
4. Volume : much lower than Call Spread
5. Max loss: -365
6. ROI : Don't know how to calculate this , because you start with a net credit , but you list about 600% , so about 6X

Mongo , on the face , it looks like the put spread is better, because you could buy 10 of these put contracts and have 21350,- to play with
for (extra) investment .

Looks too good to be true , what am i missing ???

I bought an options contract on 08/26/2021 for about $12,000. It's now three (300C 01/20/23 exp) options currently worth about $555 total. My thinking was if the TSLA share price was at $300 a share, by expiration, that I would break even. When I do the Long Call Calculator on Options profit calculator it looks like I need the TSLA share price to get up to about $336 to $343 per share to break even. Am I interpreting it correctly? I'm just trying to figure out at what point I lose everything, versus possibly breaking even, or getting most of my money back. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I bought an options contract on 08/26/2021 for about $12,000. It's now three (300C 01/20/23 exp) options currently worth about $555 total. My thinking was if the TSLA share price was at $300 a share, by expiration, that I would break even. When I do the Long Call Calculator on Options profit calculator it looks like I need the TSLA share price to get up to about $336 to $343 per share to break even. Am I interpreting it correctly?

Probably.

I'm just trying to figure out at what point I lose everything, versus possibly breaking even, or getting most of my money back. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You lose everything if the stock price closes below $300 on Jan 20 2023- because the option expires worthless.

So what you did was you paid $12000 for a 1/20/23 call with a strike price of $900-- this means you paid $120 per share (options contracts are generally for 100 shares) for the right (but not the obligation) to buy 100 shares of Tesla for $900 per share (which would cost you another $90,000).

Break even on that is $900 plus $120= $1020 a share.

With the 3:1 split this became 3 options, and the strike became $300, and effectively "paid" $40 per share for the option ($120/3)... break even then became $340 a share.

If the stock closed on Jan 20 2023 at say $301, you would (assuming you had $90,000 in your account) have these options exercise (rather than expire worthless) because the stock is above the strike price so they are considered "in the money". And you'd pay $90,000 and own 300 shares of Tesla.

Which you could sell (if the price didn't move again) for $90,300. Meaning you lost $11,700.

The reason you're getting that answer from the calculator should be clear now. If the stock closes at $340 and your $300 option exercises, immediately selling the stock would net you $40 per share.

Which is exactly what you originally paid to have the option.

At anything over $340 you have a net profit- anything above is a net loss.

(there's potentially other relevant factors like fees, and any tax impact, but that's the basic idea).

The other thing you can always do is re-sell those options contracts before expiration. As you note, right now they're not worth much-- because the stock is so far away from $300 a share people are unwilling to pay much for the right to buy it at $300 just a little over 2 months in the future...so all that you can get is the little bit of time value left (intrinsic is 0 since it's far from the money). But if the share price surged to say $350 by December 1, you could actually resell those options for more than $50 a share because they'd still have a little bit of time value left.

But as you should have seen with the calculator, time value is going to decay quickly if the stock price does not surge in the near future. You're already near max loss, so up to you if you want to hold out and hope, or just recover the little bit you can now.

I bought 2 contracts by mistake at 4.65 and now it’s 1.1 and tomorrow is the expiration date, I thought I was buying for February 24. Any advice for tomorrow which is the expiration date, should I sell when the market open or I should wait a few hours

I bought 2 contracts by mistake at 4.65 and now it’s 1.1 and tomorrow is the expiration date, I thought I was buying for February 24. Any advice for tomorrow which is the expiration date, should I sell when the market open or I should wait a few hours
According to the Schwab web site: "In general, the option holder has until 4:30 p.m. CT on expiration day to exercise the contract. These times are set by the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC), the central clearing house for the options market. But some brokerage firms might have an earlier cutoff than the OCC threshold." From this I would guess that if it has any value left at all the best thing to do would be to sell first thing at the market. I have only ever traded LEAPs.