Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are my strings correctly set up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I had my install today and when I asked the project lead on site about the way my system is configured I didn’t get a straight answer. Here’s my question. Can someone help me understand this wiring diagram? I have two arrays of panels. 9.6 kW system with 15 panels facing east and 9 facing west. Based on the diagram it looks like they’re combined into two strings of 6 and 18 panels. Shouldn’t it be 9 and 15? Doesn’t make sense to me to wire 3 of the west facing panels with 15 east facing panels in the same string. Am I missing something? I reached out to my PA about this but would like to get some feedback from this group. TIA.

Attachments

• 49222428-D2C2-4182-95E6-01358DB3A98C.jpeg
    49222428-D2C2-4182-95E6-01358DB3A98C.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 148
  • B6BD4A14-F9AD-4F0A-95B7-A586F99A57B6.jpeg
    B6BD4A14-F9AD-4F0A-95B7-A586F99A57B6.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 93
Hi there. I had my install today and when I asked the project lead on site about the way my system is configured I didn’t get a straight answer. Here’s my question. Can someone help me understand this wiring diagram? I have two arrays of panels. 9.6 kW system with 15 panels facing east and 9 facing west. Based on the diagram it looks like they’re combined into two strings of 6 and 18 panels. Shouldn’t it be 9 and 15? Doesn’t make sense to me to wire 3 of the west facing panels with 15 east facing panels in the same string. Am I missing something? I reached out to my PA about this but would like to get some feedback from this group. TIA.
Your interpretation is correct, and it isn't a good design. The reason they did it is because they paralleled two strings to two MPPT inputs, and that requires an even number of panels. So they added 3 west panels to the 15 east panels to get 18, with 9 in each of the paralleled strings.

The better design would be to use all three MPPT inputs without paralleling any strings: one for your 9 west panels, and two for your east panels, with 7 and 8 panels in each of those strings. But that would have required more wire in the conduit which seems to be something Tesla doesn't want to do.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Your interpretation is correct, and it isn't a good design. The reason they did it is because they paralleled two strings to two MPPT inputs, and that requires an even number of panels. So the added 3 west panels to the 15 east panels to get 18, with 9 in each of the paralleled strings.

The better design would be to use all 3 MPPT inputs without paralleling any strings: one for your 9 west panels, and two for your east panels, with 7 and 8 panels in each of those strings. But that would have required more wire in the conduit which seems to be something Tesla doesn't want to do.
Thank you. Exactly my thought. Is that so something I should push them on to come back out and correct? Running another wire through the conduit doesn’t seem like too much to ask. I thought they’d go for optional performance and not trying to save a few bucks on wiring.

Thank you. Exactly my thought. Is that so something I should push them on to come back out and correct? Running another wire through the conduit doesn’t seem like too much to ask. I thought they’d go for optional performance and not trying to save a few bucks on wiring.
I would do that. It's not optimal having panels that face different directions on the same string.

Thank you. Is that something I should push them on to come back out and correct? Running another wire through the conduit doesn’t seem like that big of an ask. I’m baffled that they’re trying to save a few bucks on wiring instead of going for optimal performance.

Your interpretation is correct, and it isn't a good design. The reason they did it is because they paralleled two strings to two MPPT inputs, and that requires an even number of panels. So they added 3 west panels to the 15 east panels to get 18, with 9 in each of the paralleled strings.

The better design would be to use all three MPPT inputs without paralleling any strings: one for your 9 west panels, and two for your east panels, with 7 and 8 panels in each of those strings. But that would have required more wire in the conduit which seems to be something Tesla doesn't want to do.
It took me a few times looking at the design but that's not quite what they did. There is 15 East panels, a string of 6 on their own inverter input and a string of 9 that is wired in parallel with the West string of 9.

@SeBas42 while running the strings in parallel is not optimal it really doesn't have a huge impact unless you have shading on the strings. Tesla seems to like to run parallel strings to save a few dollars.

It took me a few times looking at the design but that's not quite what they did. There is 15 East panels, a string of 6 on their own inverter input and a string of 9 that is wired in parallel with the West string of 9.

@SeBas42 while running the strings in parallel is not optimal it really doesn't have a huge impact unless you have shading on the strings. Tesla seems to like to run parallel strings to save a few dollars.
Thanks. Shading is not really the issue. I was more thinking that in the morning and evening hours the string isn't really optimized since only half of the panels have direct exposure. It's a 4/12 pitch roof and I'm in Florida.

Thanks. Shading is not really the issue. I was more thinking that in the morning and evening hours the string isn't really optimized since only half of the panels have direct exposure. It's a 4/12 pitch roof and I'm in Florida.
With parallel strings both strings have to be at the same voltage and the optimum voltage on a string doesn't strongly depend on the intensity of sunlight hitting the panels.

I tried to explain some of the issues with parallel strings here mostly pertaining to shading:

Reactions: BGbreeder
With parallel strings both strings have to be at the same voltage and the optimum voltage on a string doesn't strongly depend on the intensity of sunlight hitting the panels.

I tried to explain some of the issues with parallel strings here mostly pertaining to shading:
Once again thank you for taking the time and pointing me to this post. Sounds like the the performance of 2 strings of panels wired parallel is mainly impacted by shading but not as much by azimuth and resulting level of illumination. Given that it's probably not worth requesting an update to the strings. Sounds like I'd be losing a lot more time and energy waiting for the redesign than what it's worth.

Last edited:
Found some additional resources that explain why having opposite facing panels (east/west) wired in parallel on the same string might not be that big of an issue under the following conditions:

1. The two sets of panels must be identical in number.
2. They must be on a gently sloping roof.
3. No partial shading of different panels on same string.

Reactions: yblaser