Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting Help Determining if there is an issue with one of my Tesla Solar Strings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!
I was stupid and didn't setup a pi with pypowerwall (and the dashboard) until recently, so I'm in the hole already for trying to determine if the array I have is working correctly. The whole setup has been live for a couple of days past one year.

Three strings total, with a small string on the front of the house of 9 panels. This string is feeding into the same inverter as the smaller of the two strings below.

The other two strings, both installed in one array (14 panels on one according to the permits, 20 on the other). 34 panels in total. MPPT brings the string voltage up to optimal. Both strings are feeding into their own Tesla inverters, both are jumpered in the inverter (I'm betting that two MPPT's share the load?). All Tesla panels. The facing isn't super ideal at 254 degrees. But there is *zero* shade on the array (top of a hill that falls away, no trees to cast shade, just clouds)

Here's the part that has me suspicious. One string has its MPPT brought up to 365 ish volts (real volts on the wire doubled I'm guessing because two MPPT's?). The other is brought up to around 215 volts. This makes some amount of sense for two strings of different numbers of panels. But both strings produce the same amount of energy, roughly 4kw each (8kw total). That doesn't make a ton of sense if one string has significantly more panels.

But, if you dive into it a bit deeper, the smaller string, with the smaller voltage, is actually producing a bit more than the larger string.

I guess before I go try and convince Tesla there might be an issue (beyond that one of the inverters died like 4 days ago), does the logic above make any sense and are the conclusions somewhat correct?

In a lab, assuming each panel is 400w, that array could, in theory, put out 13.6kw. On a sunny day, it's barely hitting 8. The panels appear clean (I took up a drone to look). Again, the facing isn't super ideal at 254 degrees, so I'm not expecting lab results, but two different sized panels, with the MPPT's producing different voltages to suggest they are indeed different, producing roughly the same amount of power seems off.

Just to confirm: you have two inverters of the same size (I assume 7.6) and are gathering string data from both? I would expect 5 string readings (2 parallel strings and the standalone string). Might be best if you post the dashboard string graphs or pypowerwall output.

Also does the overall production match Tesla’s or PVWatts estimates?

In a lab, assuming each panel is 400w, that array could, in theory, put out 13.6kw. On a sunny day, it's barely hitting 8. The panels appear clean (I took up a drone to look). Again, the facing isn't super ideal at 254 degrees, so I'm not expecting lab results, but two different sized panels, with the MPPT's producing different voltages to suggest they are indeed different, producing roughly the same amount of power seems off.
Have you tried mapping it out on pvwatts to see what you get? No need to guess or assume much then

Just to confirm: you have two inverters of the same size (I assume 7.6) and are gathering string data from both? I would expect 5 string readings (2 parallel strings and the standalone string). Might be best if you post the dashboard string graphs or pypowerwall output.

Also does the overall production match Tesla’s or PVWatts estimates?
Here you go:
Permit-Pt1 hosted at ImgBB
Permit-Pt2 hosted at ImgBB
Permit-Pt3 hosted at ImgBB
Garage-Right-Inverter-Wiring hosted at ImgBB
Garage-Left-Inverter-Wiring hosted at ImgBB
There's obviously a difference between the plans and what was installed (plans call for 6 panels on the front of the house and 9 were installed). I have visually confirmed 9 panels on the front, and 34 on the back of the house.
The two pictures of the inverters are the two inverters (it can be hard to tell). One has the jumpered string (of what I believe to be 20 panels) going into line-in 2, jumpered 1 and 2 on the MPPT.
The other one has an independent string (what I believe to be the 9 front panels) going into line-in 1, and a jumpered string (of what i believe to be 14 panels) going into 4 (jumpered 3 and 4 on the MPPT)

PvWatts has the following table (when I plug in just the back of the house angle, standard panel, roof mount, etc (for just the back of the house))
January2.52888
February3.491,097
March4.401,490
April5.091,612
May5.741,824
June5.801,742
July5.961,833
August5.591,706
September4.621,391
October3.671,205
November2.90950
December2.43848

And the front of the house 9 panels:
January1.67151
February2.64219
March3.83346
April4.87413
May5.65478
June5.95475
July6.22510
August5.35435
September4.15335
October2.79243
November1.97166
December1.44126

I have produced thus far:
(starting with Jun 2022 as the first full month of production)
Code:
Jun22-    1.6mwh
Jul22-    1.7mwh
Aug22-    1.9mwh
Sep22-    1.4mwh
Oct22-    1.1mwh
Nov22-    0.86mwh
Dec22-    0.67mwh
Jan23-    0.54mwh
Feb23-    0.97mwh
Mar23-    1.4mwh
Apr23-    1.3mwh
May23-    1.5mwh
Jun23-    1.3mwh
July23-   1.4mwh

Leading to a diff against pvwatts per month of:
Code:
Jun22:  (0.6mwh)
Jul22:  (0.6mwh)
Aug22:  (0.2mwh)
Sep22:  (0.3mwh)
Oct22:  (0.3mwh)
Nov22:  (0.2mwh)
Dec22:  (0.3mwh)
Jan23:  (0.5mwh)
Feb23:  (0.3mwh)
Mar23:  (0.4mwh)
Apr23:  (0.7mwh)
May23:  (0.8mwh)
Jun23:  (0.9mwh)
July23: (0.9mwh)

So kindof tracking, and i'm not expecting to get 100% of the pvwatts or anything, but within a rough ballpark with variance. The part that confused me was the readings I was getting from PyPowerwall-Dashboard for the volts and power being generated on the two strings (installed as basically one solid array, so same angle, no shade) in the last couple weeks (since I installed it). If the two jumpered arrays are of different number of panels, yet produce the same power, i'm thinking something might be off?

Last edited:
Those production differences seem substantial, agreed. Can you post the Powerwall-Dashboard string graphs for a sunny day?

Not sure if that's the issue, but my inverter has a label attached with recommended wiring configurations, and the standalone+combined string configuration has 1/2 jumpered and the standalone string on 3.

Is your roof easily accessible? If so, maybe check the panels with a FLIR to see if some are 'hotter' than others. If an entire batch is 'cold', then you might have an MPPT issue. If only some panels are 'cold', then maybe you have panel issues.

Can't you read each panel's performance individually with out going up on the roof?
If so, i'm unaware of how to do so. I've logged into the Tesla Inverter, and had pypowerwall pull all the data from the gateway, but I believe with the way they have my system setup the only wires coming down from the roof are the actual DC conductors. It'd be super awesome if they had a test fixture (even if it had a microcontroller up there) for each panel or each string or something.

Is your roof easily accessible? If so, maybe check the panels with a FLIR to see if some are 'hotter' than others. If an entire batch is 'cold', then you might have an MPPT issue. If only some panels are 'cold', then maybe you have panel issues.
ATNX0010.JPG

ATNX0012.JPG

ATNX0014.JPG

ATNX0015.JPG

ATNX0016.JPG

Due to how the ground falls away from my house on that side, I had to hike to my neighbor's property. I was worried about IR reflections, so I took some from one angle, then walked a bit to get more shots from another. I also varied the color palette to help the data pop a bit in some of the shots, but it looks like they all agree that

The panels on the left are colder than the right. (the last shot is white-hot)

Assuming I had installed what was on the permits (T425) each panel should be rated for 425w. That kindof jives with my daily peak over the last 5 days of 4.66kw if only those 11 panels are live at the moment. Usual daily peak is 4.39kw-ish.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Those production differences seem substantial, agreed. Can you post the Powerwall-Dashboard string graphs for a sunny day?

Not sure if that's the issue, but my inverter has a label attached with recommended wiring configurations, and the standalone+combined string configuration has 1/2 jumpered and the standalone string on 3.
08-09-23_inverterPower.PNG

08-09-23_EnergyUsage.PNG

08-09-23_StringCurrent.PNG

08-09-23_StringPower.PNG

08-09-23_StringVoltage.PNG

Best I can do, I only recently hooked up the pypowerwall (because I'm a fool) and there hasn't been a gold-standard pure sun day.

This was before the inverter with string C/D died a horrible death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt-FL
There seem to be a few issues here, so just trying to piece it all together:

1) You mentioned your inverter with the standalone+combined string died, so that explains why 14 of the panels on the back are inactive on the FLIR images. It doesn't explain why only 11 are active however, you'd expect the 20 panels on the working inverter.

2) In the dashboard string data that predates the dead inverter, string A (your standalone string) does not seem to be producing at all. All of your production seems to be coming from the back panels. Is that expected?

Hopefully when they come to replace your inverter you can get them to verify the wiring as well, I think you have enough data to show that production is not where it should be.

There seem to be a few issues here, so just trying to piece it all together:

1) You mentioned your inverter with the standalone+combined string died, so that explains why 14 of the panels on the back are inactive on the FLIR images. It doesn't explain why only 11 are active however, you'd expect the 20 panels on the working inverter.

2) In the dashboard string data that predates the dead inverter, string A (your standalone string) does not seem to be producing at all. All of your production seems to be coming from the back panels. Is that expected?

Hopefully when they come to replace your inverter you can get them to verify the wiring as well, I think you have enough data to show that production is not where it should be.
Correct on point 1. I'm wondering if an MCI is tripped on the roof or if some other connection issue is going on up there. I'm assuming it's a 2x10 string that's active, but it's possible they wired the 2x7 into the working inverter. So it's either 3 panels hot when they should be cold, or 9 panels (this is all assuming they wired it according to the permits.)

2.) Correct. It's one reason I started investigating if my array was working, as I noticed that even with bright sunlight on the front panels, there was no real change in the amount being produced. I have no idea how long that string has been quiet. My little pi will be running forever more to monitor the system.

And yeah, I think I do as well...I just wanted a second set of eyes (or more! :)) before I start the process of poking Tesla. They're coming out the 8th of September to investigate and see what's wrong, so I want to have all the diagnostics in a row for whoever comes out.

I have no idea how long that string has been quiet. My little pi will be running forever more to monitor the system.

Data, data, data. You can never have enough, especially when something like this happens. The more you have, the easier it is to navigate the Tesla support labyrinth. :)

It's a good idea to backup your data, if you dive into the forums for pypowerwall, you'll find some details on how to do this on regular basis. And, I'd strongly recommend using a PI with an SSD versus a microSD card.

Reactions: BGbreeder
You probably already know this, but the reason the "parallelized" strings are "jumpered" at the MPTT is because there is a 13 Amp limitation per slot. Serial connections at the array are additive for voltage (and maintain amperage) - parallel connections are additive for Amps, but should ideally be similar voltage.

From your images (house and set plan), it appears that the strings are facing the same orientation ... so shouldn't be a big deal.

I was pretty surprising on mine that the decided to "parallelize" two arrays of 8X panels that are on the East and West sides of the house.

Ditto what others said about Super cool use of thermal imaging to diagnose non-producing panels.