Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very low production 7.6 system with powerwall +- is inverter configured right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question now, what is the most effective way to get Tesla agree to come back and re-inspect their installation. Since i am now almost sure there is an issue and the system is slmost running at 50% capacity. Examples of full sunny days of my 7.6 system.

Contact Tesla via Chat from the ordering status page. Note they have hours (not available on weekends).

Tim

Not saying that you should do this, but if you have the “switch” i posted, try turning that on to see if anything changes. Mine was actually On by default and i was exporting for a few days before i found it. (In self powered mode, it wont export until powerwalls are full).

I understand what you are attempting to say here, but there are many instances (Tesla installs, with powerwall + systems are one), where tesla can configure the system in a "non export" mode. In this mode (if equipment supported / enabled) a person can operate their system without exporting anything at all to the utility.

The utility agreements are "dont export anything" they arent "dont use". Not all systems qualify for setting up this non export settings, so there is no blanket statement that can be made on whether a person will or wont have this available, but if they do, there isnt any issue with them using it this way.

The only real issue is, since the system will curtail production in some manner when the batteries get full, the system will not operate in the same manner post PTO as pre PTO, and it can be confusing for some.
Yep. Whether on a tesla install, when it can configure for non export, etc., I was just making the comment that, IMO, anyone asking why are things not working "correctlt" before they get PTO, is, well, ... :), I expect not 100% of folks are Tesla installs from what I have read over time.

Yep. Whether on a tesla install, when it can configure for non export, etc., I was just making the comment that, IMO, anyone asking why are things not working "correctlt" before they get PTO, is, well, ... :), I expect not 100% of folks are Tesla installs from what I have read over time.

Would agree, but if you understand how the system works, output should not be reduced while the batteries are not fully charged. Something is clearly amiss with the OPs system, why wait to fix it when it's obviously has an issue? PTO is not going to make any difference in this case.

Reactions: Electrph
I am not aware of most systems that are turned on cannot send back to the grid, unless the main breaker is turned off? I am not aware of folks doing this.
So, one can play with words all one wants, bottom line from what the wording said to me from PGE, until PTO, it cannot be turned on, period. So does not matter who turned on or left one, techincally it cannot be one. But the chances of an issues are small, but not zero.
I know before PTO, yep, my installer left on. There was NO way to stop from sending excess back to the grid, I just got zero credit for it.
I did that with my system. I have an Enphase combiner box for solar and Tesla gateway for the battery. Before PTO they turned off my microinverter remotely so my solar was completely shut off. I noticed it would produce some solar in the morning before the enphase ensemble told the microinverter to shut off. If I switched off the breaker to the ensemble the microinverters wouldn’t get the message to shut down and I could run my house and charge the battery.

The enphase combiner box goes to the gateway before it goes to my panel. I shut off the solar only breaker in my main panel so no solar would go to the grid.

I was able to use solar for the house. Use the battery during peak time or backup. And use the grid to supplement without any solar going back to the grid.

The solar would shut down automatically once the battery was charged.

When I got the email from SCE that PTO was approved, I turned on both the solar breaker in the main panel and the ensemble breaker in the enphase combiner box and waited for my installer to remotely turn on the microinverters (which they did about 2 hours later.)

After PTO they gave me access to my enphase system.

This is different than the current Tesla setup is for most. They are allowed to keep their system running in self powered mode until PTO, even here in CA. My neighbor just had a PW and solar installed and he was able to use his system before PTO in self powered mode.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Show us a picture of your home and battery graphs on those same days.
Battery was not at 100%, especially yesterday it was almost at 30% (far from being full)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-23-16-07-23-79_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-23-16-07-23-79_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2022-10-23-16-07-02-36_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-23-16-07-02-36_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
Would agree, but if you understand how the system works, output should not be reduced while the batteries are not fully charged. Something is clearly amiss with the OPs system, why wait to fix it when it's obviously has an issue? PTO is not going to make any difference in this case.
Agree with how system functions pre-PTO by shutting off main breaker can see all functions minus export to grid and agree some issues (may) have nothing to do with PTO .. unfortunately Tesla appears to at times use the pre-PTO excuse to get a customer to (temporarily) go away …. Pre PTO my Tesla app would never show my batteries / solar system .. and I was told “it’s pre-PTO so should not show on app” despite my knowing most all on this forum reported seeing their’s on app pre-PTO …. Come PTO surprise surprise ….. app still did not work until after a few weeks and calls to Tesla … which could have been accomplished pre-PTO .. point is I think ppl will always try to resolve possible issues pre-PTO why would you not want to clear up any problems pre-PTO when possible

Agree with how system functions pre-PTO by shutting off main breaker can see all functions minus export to grid and agree some issues (may) have nothing to do with PTO .. unfortunately Tesla appears to at times use the pre-PTO excuse to get a customer to (temporarily) go away …. Pre PTO my Tesla app would never show my batteries / solar system .. and I was told “it’s pre-PTO so should not show on app” despite my knowing most all on this forum reported seeing their’s on app pre-PTO …. Come PTO surprise surprise ….. app still did not work until after a few weeks and calls to Tesla … which could have been accomplished pre-PTO .. point is I think ppl will always try to resolve possible issues pre-PTO why would you not want to clear up any problems pre-PTO when possible
This seems will be my case as well, i know there is an issue, tesla pushs till after pto

The difference PTO makes is, tesla tier 1 support appears to be instructed not to escalate much of anything until after PTO. Its probably going to be difficult for the OP to get tesla to do anything before PTO (as they are already finding out).

Reactions: h2ofun and TBrownTX
Same exact thing happened to me. Tesla wouldn't bother to look at my half producing system until after PTO, then it took months to get an diagnostic tech to visit after PTO, then even more time to get a crew out to connect a cable on the roof that they forgot to connect.

Reactions: haali77