Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downsides to parallel strings with solar roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have four strings on my solar roof and they are wired parallel in two pairs. I've known this for awhile but never knew there were any downsides to this. But perusing through some threads, it sounds like there are downsides. The ones I've seen discussed are reduced production due to shade and an inability to do granular troubleshooting on the strings individual strings that are in parallel.

What I read was in relation to panels, but I assume there are the same consequences for solar roof? Are there any other downsides to having my strings in parallel which I have not discovered?

It sounds like parallel wiring is never how solar is supposed to be installed, but it happens due to lazy installers. What's involved with fixing this to make it right? Any chance I'll have success convincing Tesla to make it right? It's been one year since the system was installed.

What about your performance experience? Are you satisfied with it? Meeting your goals and/or expectations? Are you identifying a performance issue that you believe should be made right?
Solar Roof is different from panels, and my understanding is that it is less impacted by shading. I was told by Tesla that my roof was not suitable for panels using string inverters, and that I should consider Solar Roof. I went with Solar Roof, but my installation was done by a certified installer and not by Tesla. I'm not really cognizant about them details of string wiring, but provided comment to the design regarding which tiles were strung together, due to my shading observations. The installation crew foreman decides at the point of arranging the stringing anyhow.... bottom line is, 10 months into operation I am very satisfied with performance. My goals going in have been met or exceeded, and I'm a happy customer. If you're looking for an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of response, I'm inclined to provide it at this point.