Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla authorized body shops really necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the shop doesn't need to get parts, then you don't need to go to a Tesla approved body shop. Only Tesla approve body shops can get body parts to my knowledge.
Exactly right.
Tesla has created an artificial shortage of body shops to work on its cars by restricting the sale of parts to only those shops that pay to get "authorized" status.

It sounds good in theory (someone trains the shops to work on our cars), but in practice, it creates long repair delay times, allows "authorized" shops to over-charge, and jacks up all of our insurance rates.

But that's just part and parcel of Tesla ownership.

I’m not saying I would only pick a Tesla shop. I’d definitely shop all options for simple body work. But I’m guessing lots of non-Tesla shops are willing to pass on a Tesla if they already have a lot of business.

Your guess is dead wrong.
A car is a car, and body shop repair is revenue to a body shop. Tesla's are not THAT special when it comes to body shop repairs.
Unless the frame or battery are damaged, any quality shop will be able to repair the damage, and usually, quicker and way cheaper than an "authorized" Tesla shop.

a

Your guess is dead wrong.
A car is a car, and body shop repair is revenue to a body shop. Tesla's are not THAT special when it comes to body shop repairs.
Unless the frame or battery are damaged, any quality shop will be able to repair the damage, and usually, quicker and way cheaper than an "authorized" Tesla shop.
I called around for a rear panel repair and found shops that will not touch a Tesla.