Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Recommendation Needed for Replacement of Rear Deck Lid SF Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2020 model Y with a rear deck lid that's been repaired twice, has a big scratch, and a broken taillight. The main problem with it is that one of the repairs was a paintless dent removal process to fix a pretty big dent (I didn't want to use insurance) and it just didn't come out that well. I was thinking I could find a used read deck lid and have a body shop install it. It's been surprisingly hard to find an undamaged one but I have 2 possible candidates that seem to have no dents but will need paint. I'm looking for a body shop that knows Teslas (preferably in the east bay) and would be open to using the salvage part that I source, painting it, and installing it. Anyone know of one? A few other questions:

1. Is there any difference in that part from year to year on the Y?
2. Is there any difference in the rear deck lid for the performance version (besides the "Dual Motor" logo with the line under it? Mine is the long range, standard performance version.
3. Is it easy for a non approved body shop to order the Tesla emblem and Dual Motor emblem?
4. Is there anything else I need to know about when swapping this part? Do cameras need to be recalibrated, for example? Assuming I re-use my camera.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott, have you made any progress on your hatch replacement? I did a bone headed maneuver and need to replace mine in Portland, Oregon.
I am lined up with a Tesla authorized body shop for a replacement but they have a multi month backlog before they can get to it. With all of the reports of Teslas being totaled with relatively minor damage I would expect a healthy market for salvage body parts. Surprised that the forum wise men haven't weighed in with solutions.
George