Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any 2012 or 2013 model S cars still running smoothly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 (original owner) that still drives like a champ, 97k miles. Moved it to 2nd home about 1.5 years ago and only gets driven 5k miles per year now. Have a 2023 LR and still prefer the 2013 sometimes --- it feels way more substantial and rides better for starters plus LOVE the meaty steering wheel.

I have a 2013 S85 with 59K miles on it; I'm the original owner. It's still a great car--very solid, with no squeaks or rattles. It pretty much drives like new. It did have the high voltage battery and drive unit replaced (under warranty at about 7.5 years), but overall it's been quite reliable.

My early-2013 P85 is still going strong with over 170k miles and counting. Original battery, but fourth drive unit. I get ~215 miles on 90% charge, 230 at 100%. The car still drives and performs like new, biggest MX expense for me has been tires…

A few months to go before hitting 10 years, but my 2014 P85 is also still a great car on its original battery. The drive unit was replaced twice in 2017 under warranty, and so far, the third drive unit has been perfect. 62K miles. 252 mile range at 100% charge (when new, a full charge was 265 miles, so range is 95% of what it had originally.) Some minor annoyances, including squeaks and rattles, but no noticeable degradation in driving performance.

One thing that has changed, though: since the battery is "older," its max charging rate is capped and I'm lucky to see anything over 72kW speeds at a supercharger. It will drop pretty quickly down to 60kW and lower, under the same conditions where I used to get over 100kW in the early years of ownership. In practical terms, this means if I'm on a road trip, I need to charge for ~1 hour instead of 30-40 minutes to get the same amount of charge.

I have a Signature S, the VIN is in the low 800’s, and I have just crossed 100k miles, I have been driving more over the last year (nearly 20k miles over the last year), the car runs great. I am the original owner original battery, and I have only had 3 door handles replaced, the batteries in my key fobs, the 12v replaced once, and three sets of tires. I just recently got my HV Fuse Battery replacement notice as well, but overall, there has been very low maintenance for a car at 100k miles and 12 years old.