Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these paint problems normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been 2 months since I got my red M3 and just recently had a chance to do a really detailed inspection of the paint in direct sunlight. Are these paint problems normal? Is it something Tesla will cover under warranty?

7237A8EF-640C-4F40-AB06-F3004A10FF8B.jpeg
1D7114B8-7786-4A72-8AE6-B8D4A7CC9246.jpeg

Common? Yes , particular on the edges of panels like in first example

Warranty-covered? In practice, depends on whom you deal with. My local Tesla have no hesitation to recognize to rectify this

Worth the hassle? I wouldn't bother for minor things on interior panels like 2nd picture. That's just me.

First post to the group. Picked up my M3, Blue, last month at 11:30 pm and did get a good look at things til next day. I noticed behind front fenders, when the doors are open, just a very, and I mean very, light coat of paint was applied. It hardly covered the electro-platting. I took it in and was told, and shown on other cars, that this was “normal”, and was more noticeable on darker colored cars. The rest of the car looked just fine so I’ll live with it. Odd Tesla would push these cars out by cutting corners like this. Especially since you spend $$$$$ on a new car, and other manufacturers manage to paint everything.

Attachments

• CC29CE36-246A-4E07-87DA-689889A7D567.jpeg
    CC29CE36-246A-4E07-87DA-689889A7D567.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 51
First post to the group. Picked up my M3, Blue, last month at 11:30 pm and did get a good look at things til next day. I noticed behind front fenders, when the doors are open, just a very, and I mean very, light coat of paint was applied. It hardly covered the electro-platting. I took it in and was told, and shown on other cars, that this was “normal”, and was more noticeable on darker colored cars. The rest of the car looked just fine so I’ll live with it. Odd Tesla would push these cars out by cutting corners like this. Especially since you spend $$$$$ on a new car, and other manufacturers manage to paint everything.

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.

Under the hood, on interior of engine bay, maybe that's acceptable...but on this color it's quite conspicuous.