Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbag cutout normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20231202_125204.jpg

My car is a 2021 and still under warranty. I made a service ticket and they told me this is normal, it's just the airbag cutout. Thing is, my dad also has a Model 3 and doesn't have this. I looked online and looks like some people have this issue as well.

Would you try to get this replaced if you were under warranty or should I just suck it up and buy a dashboard cover?

I would look at my own 2018 model 3 to see if I have that, but if I do, I will never (ever) be able to "unsee" it again, so im scared to look.....

If that was my car and I was still under warranty I think I would (politely) ask them to show me that spot on any cars they currently have in service, to show me multiple cars that have that cutout looking like that.

If they could show me multiple cars there that had that cutout visible then I guess I would believe them, otherwise, If they couldnt, I would (politely) ask them to replace it since it did not appear on other cars on their lot at the time.

Im scared to look at mine because I am out of warranty, but if I see that, I am going to want to replace it, even if I have to pay (lol).

Im trying to slowly back away from this thread to forget I saw that......

(lol)

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert and Kimmi
Oh man, that's what my dad did to me and I cannot unsee it now. I'm going to take it to a service center and ask them to show me the cars they have in the showroom.

From what I've been reading, this happens after some time with the sun hitting the dashboard. The dash shrinks a bit and the airbag protrudes a bit.

View attachment 997133

My car is a 2021 and still under warranty. I made a service ticket and they told me this is normal, it's just the airbag cutout. Thing is, my dad also has a Model 3 and doesn't have this. I looked online and looks like some people have this issue as well.

Would you try to get this replaced if you were under warranty or should I just suck it up and buy a dashboard cover?
What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Alright so I just got back from the service center and it felt like they were gaslighting me into leaving it alone but whatever, I'm over it. They showed me earlier models they had in service and they all had something similar. Apparently the 2023 models don't have it so that's what threw me off.

(My dad has a 2023 and I looked at the showroom models which are 2023s)

I could have probably pushed to get the dashboard replaced but I don't really have the energy right now.

Most cars I've had has an outline where the airbag cutout is located. Our 2018 Tesla 3 does. I don't remember on the S, but I really don't look for it. I just remember it when I was attempting to deep clean the inside glass on the 3.

View attachment 997133

How long have you owned the car?

You‘re Just now seeing it?

I would look at my own 2018 model 3 to see if I have that, but if I do, I will never (ever) be able to "unsee" it again, so im scared to look.....

If that was my car and I was still under warranty I think I would (politely) ask them to show me that spot on any cars they currently have in service, to show me multiple cars that have that cutout looking like that.

If they could show me multiple cars there that had that cutout visible then I guess I would believe them, otherwise, If they couldnt, I would (politely) ask them to replace it since it did not appear on other cars on their lot at the time.

Im scared to look at mine because I am out of warranty, but if I see that, I am going to want to replace it, even if I have to pay (lol).

Im trying to slowly back away from this thread to forget I saw that......

(lol)

Sooo... I (quickly) glanced at that area while I was commuting to work, after remembering this thread (after unsuccessfully trying to forget it, lol). I didnt see anything like that on my 2018 model 3 performance.... HOWEVER....

I use a covercraft windscreen cover, and I put it in the window every single time I park the car outside my garage (literally every time... around the corner to the store to pick up something real quick? Windscreen goes on windshield).

The covercraft ones are really nice, fairly expensive as far as windscreens go, but I think they do a great job of rejecting heat (and protecting the dashboard).

So, if this is sun related, I probably dont have it, due to my habit of putting in the windscreen whenever my car is not in my garage. To be fair, this habit was picked up from my previous BMWs, where I would always get the dealer to throw in a BMW branded windscreen, and those are made by covercraft. Thats why I bought a covercraft.

TL ; DR.. I dont have that, but it could be because I use a high quality windscreen all the time.

How long have you owned the car?

You‘re Just now seeing it?

I have 2021 model and yeah I think it is because of the sun. I've never used a windscreen before and I never noticed it before but from what I've read online it happens over time from the sun. So yeah jjrandorin nailed it. I'm definitely going to be using one now.

I feel like they could have replaced the dashboard but in any case at least now I know how to prevent further damage.