Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you required to inform Tesla after purchasing Used (non CPO) MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking for a 75D MS, being in contact with the local Tesla agent, missed several chances

He recently inform me that one of his client who purchased a CPO 75D 6 months ago from him is looking to sell it.
Air suspension, free supercharging, AP1, 21 wheels, sunroof etc etc

I asked about this Free Supercharger and whether it would be Disabled when I buy the used car, he said, Yes, IF and ONLY IF I inform Tesla about it.

If I did buy it privately, changed name at dmv/transport depart but don't inform Tesla, are there any implications?

-servicing/warranty would still continue since it follows the VIN not person.....right?

Unless you inform Tesla of the transfer you would not have access to the mobile app (unless the seller gives you his username and password). Note you need the app to schedule service appointments and they use the phone number on file to communicate with you via text (it’s almost impossible to communicate with service any more by calling and speaking to them on the phone).

When you take the car in for service they would likely note that you are not the person the car is registered to. When (if) they update the registration you may lose the free supercharging at that time.

Find out whether the car has free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car or only for as long as the current owner owns the car. I’m not certain, but I think if the car has free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car and it is sold by a private individual that you do not lose the free supercharging. But I suggest you double and triple check this. Unfortunately, Tesla personnel are not always fully (or correctly) informed. And don’t confirm with Tesla verbally. Get a written record of the question and answer.

Unless you inform Tesla of the transfer you would not have access to the mobile app (unless the seller gives you his username and password). Note you need the app to schedule service appointments and they use the phone number on file to communicate with you via text (it’s almost impossible to communicate with service any more by calling and speaking to them on the phone).

When you take the car in for service they would likely note that you are not the person the car is registered to. When (if) they update the registration you may lose the free supercharging at that time.

Find out whether the car has free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car or only for as long as the current owner owns the car. I’m not certain, but I think if the car has free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car and it is sold by a private individual that you do not lose the free supercharging. But I suggest you double and triple check this. Unfortunately, Tesla personnel are not always fully (or correctly) informed. And don’t confirm with Tesla verbally. Get a written record of the question and answer.

Thanks, from what I've been reading on here, it looks like Free Supercharger and even in some cases AP versions are being disabled once the car returns to Tesla to be 'refurbished, re-warrantied, re-sold as CPO'

Guess theres always 2 sides to the debate, it isn't a $1m HKD car anymore, some would say HK Tesla has a right to disable it

and as you said, sometimes the Tesla personnel are themselves not too sure.....I was asking about a 2016 MS with what looks like AP2....with the additional cams.....asked whether it was 'activated with FSD' ...'Of course it is'....but according to Tesl-Info and EV-CPO, it isn't but I think it has autopilot activation....FSD is not.......