Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about purchasing my first Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I’m about to possibly purchase a 2018 75D from a private seller. One owner, 40k miles. Anything I should look out for? How long of a test drive would you go for? My Dad and I are driving 250 miles one way to check out this car. We’re renting a car from Avis (reserved for one way). Bumper to bumper warranty is expired and he didn’t purchase an extended warranty. Battery and drive train warranty good until December 2026 (unlimited miles).

He provided a list of the repairs that have been made:

Inlet actuator was replaced in 2020 by mobile service. He didn’t recall the symptom.

Headlights replaced in 2021 due to yellowing

Center console screen replaced due to yellowing

Shock tower brace replaced due to squeaking

Half shafts repaired due to clicking while moving

This seems like a lot of issues which kind of scares me. The seller seems very meticulous with his vehicles. He had the car paint corrected and wrapped the entire exterior with STEK DynoShield. Seldom charged over 80% and only 2-3 super charger sessions. Asking price is very reasonable. Just want to make sure I check everything out. Would you ask for receipts of the warranty work that was done? Any tips for inspection? Thanks I’m advance! Looking forward to joining the Tesla family!

Most of those warranty services were minor cosmetic concerns. Not what I would consider a worry. Would check to full charge range to see how much the battery has degraded over the years but otherwise a traditional inspection for normal wear and tare and test drive for general function is all I would do. Good luck and congrats.

Hi,
I’m about to possibly purchase a 2018 75D from a private seller. One owner, 40k miles. Anything I should look out for? How long of a test drive would you go for? My Dad and I are driving 250 miles one way to check out this car. We’re renting a car from Avis (reserved for one way). Bumper to bumper warranty is expired and he didn’t purchase an extended warranty. Battery and drive train warranty good until December 2026 (unlimited miles).

Inlet actuator was replaced in 2020 by mobile service. He didn’t recall the symptom.

This seems like a lot of issues which kind of scares me. The seller seems very meticulous with his vehicles. He had the car paint corrected and wrapped the entire exterior with STEK DynoShield. Seldom charged over 80% and only 2-3 super charger sessions. Asking price is very reasonable. Just want to make sure I check everything out. Would you ask for receipts of the warranty work that was done? Any tips for inspection? Thanks I’m advance! Looking forward to joining the Tesla family!
It sounds like the owner has taken good care of it. I would definitely consider buying it.

The issues he's had aren't anything out of the ordinary for a Model S. It is what it is. It's still definitely worth looking at.

Reactions: RaymondNoodles
Have the owner print them. I print everything for my Teslas because I'm old like the guy that is advised by Dr. Rick in the Progressive ad that there is no need to print the internet. My 2018 S has been almost problem free. The only things replaced under warranty were the headlights ( DRL getting dim ) and a fog light which failed. Get a CarFax for piece of mind and as has been mentioned check battery range.

Last edited:
Hi,

75d?? I wouldn’t. The range on that thing is terrible. Plus combined with the 6 years or so of battery degradation, the range is even worse at this point. Spend the extra money and go with at least a 100D battery.

Hi,

75d?? I wouldn’t. The range on that thing is terrible. Plus combined with the 6 years or so of battery erosion, it’s even worse at this point. Spend the extra money and go with at least a 100D
Maybe he doesn't need or care about the extra range which going from memory was only about 50 miles - that's the case for me.
A 75D is “260 miles” on paper brand new. Actual miles + degradation after 6 years = about 150 actual miles.

Sorry to read that yours only has 150 miles of range. Evidently they’re not all the same - mine still shows 230 miles at full charge.
Mine? No I have a 2020 Model s Raven. But one of my previous Teslas was a 75D and the range was horrible.

Also, if you were charging to 80% which is what is recommended, then your car would be at 184 miles. And then real world range of 184 miles is around 150. So I’m actually spot on by saying 75d is only about a 150 mile range.

Last edited:
And yet mine has full charge range of 230 miles - most charging to 60% - but some supercharging.
Yea you’re not understanding what I’m saying. Yes, you can charge your car to 230 miles at 100%… BUT, the normal recommended charging is to charge to 80%, otherwise you are killing your battery if you’re charging to 100%.

That said, 80% of 230 miles is 184 miles. Then you take real world scenario of Tesla’s actual range when driving, and that 184 miles is realistically around 150 miles.

Yea you’re not understanding what I’m saying. Yes, you can charge your car to 230 miles at 100%… BUT, the normal recommended charging is to charge to 80%, otherwise you are killing your battery if you’re charging to 100%.
Where do u get this wrong info?
I charge to 85-90% every day n i'm at 234 rated
Recommended per Tesla is anywhere below 90%

1694979026828.png

But yes i agree, u never get rated unless u drive at 50mph on flat ground for the whole trip...

Reactions: Yelobird

That said, 80% of 230 miles is 184 miles. Then you take real world scenario of Tesla’s actual range when driving, and that 184 miles is realistically around 150 miles.
You’re right - I was misunderstanding - thanks for clarifying it.

Most of those warranty services were minor cosmetic concerns. Not what I would consider a worry. Would check to full charge range to see how much the battery has degraded over the years but otherwise a traditional inspection for normal wear and tare and test drive for general function is all I would do. Good luck and congrats.
Thanks! I appreciate your input. 80% is 188 miles on this vehicle, so presumably 235 miles @ 100%. Should be plenty for a commuter.
It sounds like the owner has taken good care of it. I would definitely consider buying it.

The issues he's had aren't anything out of the ordinary for a Model S. It is what it is. It's still definitely worth looking at.
Thank you for your opinion. Going to look at it tomorrow, cashiers check in hand.
That's a good idea. Only current owner has access to these electronically. Once the car passes to a new owner, these records are no longer available. Get these records.
Will do, thanks. Glad I asked about that. Didn't realize the records were no longer available once the car goes to a new owner.
Have the owner print them. I print everything for my Teslas because I'm old like the guy that is advised by Dr. Rick in the Progressive ad that there is no need to print the internet. My 2018 S has been almost problem free. The only things replaced under warranty were the headlights ( DRL getting dim ) and a fog light which failed. Get a CarFax for piece of mind and as has been mentioned check battery range.
Hahaha! Glad to hear your 2018 has been reliable. Carfax is as clean as they come. Matches exactly what the seller has told me. Thank you for providing your experience. Battery range is 188 miles at 80%. He didn't provide range at 100% charge. My daily commute is 60-120 miles (depending on customer appts) and we have free charging at the office (where I usually start my days). I'm getting a TWC installed at home. We have solar panels and are generating 10-20% more power than we are using (designed it this way purposely knowing we would eventually purchase an EV) and have built up credits with ComEd. So our electric bill has been $14/month (the minimum interconnect fee). Loving the solar. It should pay for itself in 4 years.
75d?? I wouldn’t. The range on that thing is terrible. Plus combined with the 6 years or so of battery degradation, the range is even worse at this point. Spend the extra money and go with at least a 100D battery.
The range shouldn't be a problem for my daily commute which is the primary use for this vehicle. Free EV charging at the office and TWC/solar at home. We have an Acura MDX for longer road trips. Thanks for the input.
Maybe he doesn't need or care about the extra range which going from memory was only about 50 miles - that's the case for me.
My daily max is 150 miles, and that's rare. Most days are 60 miles. Thanks.
i get about that on X 90D (257 on paper), less in winter n i manage ok even on long trips
its all up to OP, as long as OP is aware of it...
I've done a lot of research and reading on Tesla's/EV's over the last couple years. I think it makes sense for my use. Appreciate the input.

Reactions: zoomer0056