Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asymmetric Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it comes time to replace my 2021 S LR tires what would the positives and negatives to purchasing asymmetric tires be? While the car did not come with them they were mentioned in the owner's manual as being the tires which would be included. My purpose is not to complain but to find out the pluses and minuses. Things like durability, performance, price, noise level and ride quality. I would keep all of the other parameters of the tires the same, at least for comparison purposes.
Beasts

Just to be clear, you're talkign about asymmetric tread pattern on your tires, not a staggered wheel setup. Both are available.

Asymmetric tires are generally higher performing tires, like Michelin PS4s. Symmetric are generally cheaper. Because Asymmetric are aimed at higher performance, they may not have as long of life as symmetric patterned tires.

Our S has staggered wheels of course but no, that is not what I am referring to. Good to know about the price and durability. Wondering, if we were willing to pay the price, could we match the durability of the symmetric tires?
I'm also thinking that since I am not terribly aggressive, my wife would disagree, I might not even notice the difference?! I'm already impressed by the performance of our S.
Thanks for your feedback Aggmeister.

In most "normal commute" cases, you probably won't notice the difference. Especially if you are on 19 or 20 inch wheels. I always avoid cheaping out on tires - stick to a reputable brand - but beyond that, unless you're driving aggressively, you can shop for a bargain and be okay.

Durability is determined by tire compound, not tread pattern. Look at the treadwear ratings. All-seasons and tires with mileage warranties use harder compounds vs summer/high perf tires. You’ll find tires with both tread pattern types across the categories. You’re not going to notice a difference when driving (in general, unless you test the limits daily) between symmetrical and asymmetrical.