Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would like some opinions regarding new tires on a 2017 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tires are just about ready to be replaced. I'm still on the factory Goodyears and my main concern is ride comfort and noise. Should I stick with the Eagle Touring SCT (foam lined)? Or is there a better tire with respect to comfort? I don't really drive the car hard all that often but would like a tire that had decent grip, just not a strictly performance/summer tire as I'd like to have better efficiency and treadwear.

Any opinions? Are foam filled tires a must when it comes to cabin noise?

Thanks!

I have a mid-2016 MS90D, so probably pretty similar in a lot of ways to your 2017 75D. I've replaced my tires twice and ended up both times deciding to stay with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Most recent set was purchased little over 2 years ago, so cannot speak to any of the newer options which might have popped up in the past 2 years.

I did end up, a little bit by chance, with the non-foam versions, although still with the 98W load/speed rating.

My first full replacement set I purchased expecting they had foam, but turned out to not have foam. I knew I had found what I thought was a really good deal, tire I thought listed on-line as the Tesla spec, but when shop went to install they alerted me "hey, we see your old tires have foam, but these new ones don't ... is that what you expected??". After an initial disappointment, accepted this was on me, not them, and told them to go ahead and install.

How what I hadn't expected is that I actually had already been running 1 tire for a couple years without foam, and was totally unaware. I had picked up a screw right at the sidewall junction where patches/plugs won't hold well, so ended up replace one tire after only have the car for about a year. That replacement tire was supposed to be true OEM, with foam, but what I learned when it was removed is it didn't, as I was saving it to keep as an emergency spare in case I ever needed to replace a single tire. So as it turn out I had been driving for 2 years without any idea I had one without foam.

Now I know some will say they can tell the difference for tires with/without foam, but to my now over 60 year old ears, I have noticed no differences, and again when I replace second time, again went with no foam.

Good luck. You're going through the exact same process I did two years ago when I debated what to put on my car.

Reactions: Shiro
My tires are just about ready to be replaced. I'm still on the factory Goodyears and my main concern is ride comfort and noise. Should I stick with the Eagle Touring SCT (foam lined)? Or is there a better tire with respect to comfort? I don't really drive the car hard all that often but would like a tire that had decent grip, just not a strictly performance/summer tire as I'd like to have better efficiency and treadwear.

Any opinions? Are foam filled tires a must when it comes to cabin noise?

Thanks!
I had the same decision to make about 3 years ago and decided to just stay with the Goodyears. Knowing that I would only drive about 5K Miles per year and that any tire gets noisy as the rubber hardens with age, purchasing a tire that typically lasts only 25-30K miles was acceptable. I got the ones without the foam and I honestly could not tell the difference and I'm pretty sensitive to noise to the point where it drive my wife crazy when I point out a rattle in the car. Price was great also since Discount Tire matched Walmarts sale price.