Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It ran the 'ring in 8:09, which was not far off the ICE R8.
Watch this: Audi's electric R8 e-tron tears up Nürburgring in silence | The Verge

But I agree that its poor range and the decision not to sell the car make it less than satisfying as a Stark car. I could see a 918 or MacLaren P1 or LaFerrari as being a possible choice - until the Roadster 3.0 gets here. IMO the best choice today is clearly the Concept One.

My recollection is that the "record setting production electric car" runs by the E-Tron were done with a modified -- i.e. non-production -- vehicle.

It was discussed in some depth in a previous thread.

I figure pretty much anything done by the A8 E-Tron has to be viewed in that light. It has never been in production and it looks like it never will. It is, as you pointed out, a concept car. But to your point a few posts back, I'd say that it isn't a fantasy, given that it exists, albeit in a non-production version. And I suspect that it could be brought to production in a form pretty close to what we have seen. The problems seem to be in range and production cost, so it isn't a feasible project. So a production version wouldn't do a 'ring lap in 8:09, but I suspect that it wouldn't be toooo far off of that. 8:30? But for $400-$500K, with inferior specs to the Roadster, that isn't gonna catch many fish.

So Audi has cancelled the R8 e-tron - again. Apparently the reasoning behind it is "that Audi is not willing to accept the limited range and long charging times that are a result of current battery technology."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/all-electric-audi-r8-e-tron-wont-go-sale

Audi has confirmed to Autocar that, currently, it has no plans to sell its all-electric R8 e-tron sports car.

Ten of the latest design of R8 e-tron have been built but they will be used exclusively for internal testing and development only.

It's thought that the the cars won't be offered to customers because battery technology hasn't advanced as fast as Audi expected.

Consequently the cost of the batteries has not fallen as much as the company forecast, making the R8 e-tron unviable for series production.

There are also rumours that Audi is not willing to accept the limited range and long charging times that are a result of current battery technology.

In a recent press release, however, it stated: "Through the R8 e-tron, Audi has acquired extensive expertise that will benefit its electrified production models."

The electric Audi R8 e-tron, which uses a lithium-ion battery and a pair of two electric motors, is capable of 0-62mph in 4.2sec.

It's electronically limited to 124.27mph and, in optimal conditions, capable of covering 133.59 miles.

There's also a first drive from AutoCar here with more details about the car:
All-electric Audi R8 e-tron first drive Review | Autocar

Battery weighs the same as Tesla's despite having 55% of capacity, and it's 20% less efficient than the Model S even though the Model S is 15% heavier and much larger.

It's like they're not even trying.

That’s ~248 miles. Doesn’t that mean that this new R8 e-tron should be able to handle some sort of fast charge from the Tesla Superchargers. Perhaps not as fast as it can charge a Tesla but hopefully not that far off. IMO it would be really great if VW/Audi decided to join Tesla on the Supercharger project with this R8 e-tron.

Last edited:
If we assume that the R8 e-tron has 400 km range by the NEDC test, then we can compare to ratings for the Model S:
Model S 85 -- 502 km NEDC, 265 miles EPA
Model S 60 -- 390 km NEDC, 208 miles EPA

Interpolating between the Model S numbers, 400 km NEDC for the A8 might be 213 miles EPA. YMMV.

I'd love to know what new battery chemistry Audi is using.