Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another piece about the A3 e-tron PHEV:

BBC - Autos - A3 Sportback e-tron: Audi's high-wattage wizard

There's an apparent dig at Tesla too:

Crash-worthiness of big-batteried cars has been a hot topic of late, a fact addressed neatly by Audi. The A3 employs a shut-down system that decouples the electric drive system from the car’s power supply in any collision significant enough to deploy an air bag or seatbelt pre-tensioner, meaning the battery would cease feeding power into the motor.

Crash-worthiness of big-batteried cars has been a hot topic of late, a fact addressed neatly by Audi. The A3 employs a shut-down system that decouples the electric drive system from the car’s power supply in any collision significant enough to deploy an air bag or seatbelt pre-tensioner, meaning the battery would cease feeding power into the motor.

That doesn't address the situation at all. What happens when there is an intrusion into the battery compartment that causes thermal runaway on one or more cells? Cutting the exterior connections does nothing in that situation.

From the article, quote:

"Audi has backtracked on an earlier decision to cancel production of the electric-powered R8 e-tron and will now push ahead with small scale production of the zero-emission two-seater as part of a number of sweeping changes made to its research and engineering operations since the arrival of its new head Ulrich Hackenberg. Citing recent advances in lithium-ion battery technology that has reportedly increased its range from an original 215km to close to 400km, insiders at Audi’s headquarters in Germany suggest the R8 e-tron will now go into limited production during the latter half of 2014."

So the "recent advances" that Audi is boasting about mean that their very expensive R8 BEV (it will be far more than a 85 P+) will have a range that falls far short of the Model S 85. How impressive ;)

I think the success of the Model S is what really caused Audi to change its mind about the R8 e-tron.

I certainly would like to see some of the premier auto manufacturers like Audi build a serious Model S competitor. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm pretty sure all EV's do it. Heck even most conversions have an inertia switch to disconnect the pack. I wonder what sort of shielding and pack placement Audi is using, is it a mid pack like the Roadster? This pic shows it to be a Volt like "T" pack.

audi-r8-e-tron-etron-442.jpg

I'm not seeing any particularly thick shielding, so it appears that Audi has done nothing to address the "issue".

According to an Interview of Handelsblatt with "Audi-Entwicklungsvorstand" Ulrich Hackenberg (dated 19.12.) Audi will shortly decide whether to build an R8-Etron. The decision might be taken before the end of the year. Hackenberg is in charge of developments since July 2013. He stated that the original car did not have adequate range and that in his opinion an electric sports car needed a range beyond 500km (312m).
To reach his range target evidently a new battery will be needed. To go from here to production with a sufficiently proven battery system will very likely take some time. One year looks optimistic - even if they "just" have to get where the Roadster was 5 years ago.

According to an Interview of Handelsblatt with "Audi-Entwicklungsvorstand" Ulrich Hackenberg (dated 19.12.) Audi will shortly decide whether to build an R8-Etron. The decision might be taken before the end of the year. Hackenberg is in charge of developments since July 2013. He stated that the original car did not have adequate range and that in his opinion an electric sports car needed a range beyond 500km (312m).
To reach his range target evidently a new battery will be needed. To go from here to production with a sufficiently proven battery system will very likely take some time. One year looks optimistic - even if they "just" have to get where the Roadster was 5 years ago.

Wow. It's been said before, but Tesla really is ahead of everyone by a lot.

Can anyone think of a production electric car with over 150 miles of range that didn't sell about as fast as they could be produced?

I just don't know what numbers Audi is looking at to decide that they can't make money on this.

When is another company going to offer a serious EV that actually competes with Tesla?

Can anyone think of a production electric car with over 150 miles of range that didn't sell about as fast as they could be produced?

I just don't know what numbers Audi is looking at to decide that they can't make money on this.

When is another company going to offer a serious EV that actually competes with Tesla?

Is there any other production electric car with over 150 miles of range besides Tesla? Not that I am aware of.

It still blows my mind that last year Tesla sold over 22,000 cars with an average price of over $85K! (My estimate) And they could have sold many more if they could have produced them.

I think it will be at least 3 years before the Model S has any competition and by then Tesla will have significantly improved the Model S so it will still be way ahead of the competition.