Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto defrost problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, wonder if you could help?
Since mid-December I have the Auto defrost message appear that won't go away, car has been in once and had the humidity sensor replaced. no change.
Car is due in again tomorrow and they tell me it might need to be with them overnight and they'll provide Uber vouchers. This is a problem for me as:
A. I'm due to give a talk tomorrow night that includes
B. The need to transport a few reptiles including a 16' Burmese python, really don't think Uber would like that.

Could anyone who has had this issue resolved please let me know what the issue was so I can pass it on in the hope I can get my car back the same day?
Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Astrape
Hi All, wonder if you could help?
Since mid-December I have the Auto defrost message appear that won't go away, car has been in once and had the humidity sensor replaced. no change.
Car is due in again tomorrow and they tell me it might need to be with them overnight and they'll provide Uber vouchers. This is a problem for me as:
A. I'm due to give a talk tomorrow night that includes
B. The need to transport a few reptiles including a 16' Burmese python, really don't think Uber would like that.

Could anyone who has had this issue resolved please let me know what the issue was so I can pass it on in the hope I can get my car back the same day?
Thanks
Sorry can't help with the issue but have you explained why Uber is no use to you and asked for a Loner?

We had the auto defogging problem (coming on with no apparent need and staying on). Our local SC traced it down to low gas level in the AC, which they topped up . No problems since, it might be worth pointing your guys in this direction?

it took our local SC a few hours to trace the problem as they had to eliminate usual culprits (humidity sensor, software problem etc ) first

can't add to my previous message but more information has come to light.
They did indeed not know what the problem was despite screenshots until I got there at 4 o'clock and showed them the screen and the cars behaviour.
The car has now had three humidity sensors fitted and all the car says all three report ar 100% humidity. They're not sure what the issue is so it's been referred to the master techs

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Just curious, but have you noticed a significant increase in energy usage since having the extended term auto defogger use?

I know this time of year has increased energy usage, but I have 3 years of similar conditions to compare with and we are seeing significant increase in energy use (and fluctuating cabin temperatures, measured as high as 30C more than hour into trip when car sensor and setpoint at 20C) vs similar previous journeys. We too have long term auto defogger message on screen with no apparent reason. Had temp and humidity sensors replaced a few years back. Wonder if problem is back or it’s something else - iirc someone recently mentioned low gas in a/c system may be a cause - consequence of previously replaced sensors? I am suspicious that heating it running hot for extended periods of time hence using more power. Can also be seen in predicted vs actual energy graphs.

Just just done a update to latest firmware and will monitor then possibly raise a SC concern.

fluctuating cabin temperatures, measured as high as 30C more than hour into trip when car sensor and setpoint at 20C) vs similar previous journeys.
I've just looked at my data for the past couple of years and rarely see temps above the set temp after the car has been driven for at least 10 minutes. Even when above they are only marginally above. I'm still on 2022.44.25.3, but another data point for your conversation with Tesla.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 16.53.12.png

Reactions: MrBadger
I've just looked at my data for the past couple of years and rarely see temps above the set temp after the car has been driven for at least 10 minutes. Even when above they are only marginally above. I'm still on 2022.44.25.3, but another data point for your conversation with Tesla.

View attachment 906393
Thanks.
Oddly, although perhaps unsurprisingly (as its the sensor that the car us using), the car set temp and sensor value are as you might expect, but a third party thermometer, and 3 people sweltering in the car, said otherwise. And this was iirc over 1-1/2 hours into a drive. The auto defogging message did eventually clear that drive, but on outgoing journey, before I realised that we might have a problem, the B post cameras had not cleared, which in itself is not unusual, but even by the end of the drive, which was 1-1/2 hours. However, on both those drives (out and return), general efficiency whilst not great, has been believable, but I've had a few others which have been downright appalling compared to previous experience, although some possibly explained by supercharger preconditioning and weather (eg 86 Miles Driven, 134 miles used ~ 65%), but not all. Just trying to find some other data points.